White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 28, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
Oh I know and you are correct, of course. But I'm so pissed at this organization already and after today's disaster my attitude is that JR caused this mess now either let him spend his way out of it or sell the damn team to someone who knows how to run a baseball franchise.

The only way to fix this mess is to overspend money to bring in talent.

I do understand. The only way to cope with the recent run of suck is to meander into a dreamworld of a Sox owner with Dodger money. :P

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ May 28, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
I'm cool with trading EJ while he still has some credibility. His velocity is gone, and he doesn't have the command to make that workable.

But I don't want Shields at that salary.

Edit: spelling boo-boo

That salary is what would allow Sox to get him without giving up better players like Anderson.

I dont think you can trade Tatis Jr, he would have to be a player to be named later.

It's also typical for AJ Preller to covet INTL guys, I know the Padres were in the running for Tatis Jr. last year. If Preller wants him that badly, knowing his scouting acumen when it comes to J2 guys, that's someone that I would try to hang on to but beggars can't be choosers.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 28, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)
Look at the pitchers in this years FA market. I don't think it's unreasonable at all that Shields would opt out. He wouldn't end up receiving a 21M AAV, but something along the lines of 4/60 doesn't seem unreasonable for him.

He's in his mid 30's. No team is giving him a 4 year deal.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
I would have to agree 100% . That contract is ridiculous for a guy his age.

I write this every year on a thread and everybody ignores my post on it. Why do baseball owners insist on signing guys to these type deals?? How many times do you hear about such a signing and in a year or less the team is DYING to get rid of the guy?? It makes no sense. It's just baseball teams using monopoly money. I mean if you are going to give money away, just give some more to your scouts and advance scouts.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2016 -> 02:12 AM)
I write this every year on a thread and everybody ignores my post on it. Why do baseball owners insist on signing guys to these type deals?? How many times do you hear about such a signing and in a year or less the team is DYING to get rid of the guy?? It makes no sense. It's just baseball teams using monopoly money. I mean if you are going to give money away, just give some more to your scouts and advance scouts.

Another testimonial to the incompetence of GM's everywhere. I had no idea the deal included a hotel suite on road trips. For Little Jimmy Shields?

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2016 -> 02:12 AM)

It is mostly ignored because you mostly ignore the economics of the MLB when you make misinformed terrible statements like above.

But look at the long-term deals in the AL Central.

Nolasco, Hughes, Santana and Joe Mauer with the Twins. Do you think they wish they could undo all of those?

Danks, LaRoche (coming into this year)...Dunn from 2011-2014. And who knows what we have in Abreu at this point...

Verlander, Upton, Miggy Cabrera, Anibal Sanchez. Otoh, Zimmerman was excellent until recently.

The Indians are one of the few teams not burdened with any long-term FA deals...although they have extended younger players to favorable extensions and bought one year of FA out (those deals are much more logical, you're retaining your best talent in their prime years and well under the going free market rate).

Then you have the Royals with Omar Infante, Alex Gordon (not looking good at the moment), Ian Kennedy (that one's been a plus, so far), Soria and Volquez. Edinson Volquez has probably been the best $10+ million FA deal in recent years (in the division), along with Abreu.

Edited by caulfield12

The reality here is the Sox need another starter and can't really afford to use their prospects to get one. I'm not sure that Shields is the right guy, but I like the underlying idea. The Padres would definitely have to eat some money (maybe $10M) for this to work. And no doubt it would be risky, but given where the team is at, I'm not against rolling the dice and taking a shot at a playoff run. If you miss the playoffs, I think you really have to consider blowing this thing up. We can't keep trying to patch-work the holes around our stars, especially with the next two free agent classes being garbage.

They almost have to try the first 3-4 months next year because Frazier/Lawrie/Cabrera are going to be free agents and they'll have a potential impact SS to ignite the offense in Anderson.

That and the fact that Carson Fulmer no longer can be counted on for the 2017 rotation, you have to find a starter SOMEWHERE.

Obviously, the hope is that they still have enough payroll flexibility to add another bat (LH preferably) and at least one RH pitcher to the bullpen.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
The reality here is the Sox need another starter and can't really afford to use their prospects to get one. I'm not sure that Shields is the right guy, but I like the underlying idea. The Padres would definitely have to eat some money (maybe $10M) for this to work. And no doubt it would be risky, but given where the team is at, I'm not against rolling the dice and taking a shot at a playoff run. If you miss the playoffs, I think you really have to consider blowing this thing up. We can't keep trying to patch-work the holes around our stars, especially with the next two free agent classes being garbage.

One possible strategy would be to accumulate a couple more veteran pieces, with the idea that they could become good trade "chips," going into this coming off season.

With that dearth of talent in this year's coming free agent market, teams seeking to fill holes will likely be more open to trades. We would have a few players that other teams would covet, and for whom we might get some pretty good young talent. Does Shields meet that description? I suppose that at the right price, and assuming that he stays healthy, he could be a player that teams might want.

Adopting such a strategy would seem to necessitate holding on to the few remaining young prospects in the organization. Therefore, if they acquire Shields, it doesn't make sense to give up Anderson, but rather take on more salary, instead. Any rumors including Anderson don't make much sense, in any context regarding a trade for Shields.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
They almost have to try the first 3-4 months next year because Frazier/Lawrie/Cabrera are going to be free agents and they'll have a potential impact SS to ignite the offense in Anderson.

That and the fact that Carson Fulmer no longer can be counted on for the 2017 rotation,you have to find a starter SOMEWHERE.

Obviously, the hope is that they still have enough payroll flexibility to add another bat (LH preferably) and at least one RH pitcher to the bullpen.

This isn't a fact caulfield

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 29, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
This isn't a fact caulfield

Fine. 75-85% probability unless Fulmer makes a sudden transformation in his entire approach to pitching and doesn't have to go back down to Winston-Salem...and gets his walk rate to no more than 4-4.25/9 IP.

I don't know how to express it besides saying something dull like....the chances are now somewhat diminished that Carson Fulmer will be in the 2017 Chicago White Sox starting rotation to start the season. Or there are growing concerns in some circles about his mechanics and ability to get hitters out by making them expand their strike zones, which hasn't worked as well due to experience of AA hitters compared to even the best collegiate line-ups.

If that's better...

Edited by caulfield12