Wil Myers

NCsoxfan

Would it make sense to make a run at Wil Myers?

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Padres are "open" to trading Wil Myers.

Myers is well on his way to a breakout season at age 25 and he is under contractual control with San Diego through 2019, but Heyman says the Padres are "willing to talk about just about anyone" as they attempt another aggressive organizational rebuild under general manager A.J. Preller. Myers, an outfielder turned first baseman, is sitting on a .281/.321/.504 batting line, 14 home runs, and 39 RBI through 65 games this season with the last-place Friars.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/504...LB:topheadlines

The obvious problem is that you want players like Myers in years 1-3, not their 4-6 arbitration years.

That said, they should be "prime" production years, and still much cheaper than FA...not to mention the possibility of extension. We're in that same boat with both Frazier and Lawrie, although neither is exactly screaming out for an expensive extension at the moment.

There are 10-12 contending teams with surplus talent in their minor league systems who are much better trade partners for SD, unless there's a particular player in our system they're absolutely in love with or have a simple mechanical fix for.

Jay is definitely more realistic in terms of minor league talent ... the typical KW "veteran" experience with winning org (StL).

Kind of strange, Shields for Myers/Odorizzi was a huge AL Central trade 3 years ago, and now all three of them are potentially coming back to the AL Central again with the latter two names on the Top 10 of many current trade market lists.

Cleveland could definitely use Myers. The Tigers could similarly use Odorizzi, as they have three very good starters in Verlander/Zimmermann/Fulmer and huge question marks with Pelfrey and Boyd/Sanchez/Norris. It's one of the main reasons that teams in the AL Central are struggling to get on extended runs, the back end of their rotations. White Sox obviously with the same issue.

The problem is that it's not the type of move that puts the Sox over the top, it's more of an incremental..."one win" improvement. It all depends on the status of Austin Jackson's injury/projected return. There's no guarantee Jay would outproduce him.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/29691/jon-jay

This season he's only a 694 OPSer against RHP, and that's in the NL West. So it still doesn't address one of the biggest issues.

Myers has an 832 OPS against RHPers, is "only" 25 (same age as Avi, but seems he has been around forever)...very little difference between lefty and righty splits, period. He isn't a very good defender, but he's still head and shoulders better than Avi. He probably would play over Cabrera, with Melky moving to DH.

Cost, though?

Edited by caulfield12

With JD Martinez out with a radial fracture, the Tigers just entered the market for another bat...they're not going to want to have to trot out Gose/Maybin/Romine/Aviles (2 of the 4) any more than they have to along with a still-struggling Justin Upton. Nor do they want to use the outfielder who gave the finger to his home fans.

Edited by caulfield12

Well, it would make sense for a number of reasons.

We would be guaranteed to control Myers' rights through 2019, at a time when we're losing Lawrie/Frazier/Cabrera in all likelihood.

The only players you can pencil in past next year are probably Eaton, Abreu and Anderson, so that's a lot of line-up to replace.

Morneau at DH and Myers in RF, Eaton in CF and Melky in LF would give them their best possible offensive combination by far.

You'd be taking Garcia and Shuck (currently) and replacing it with two far superior (theoretically, in Morneau's case, as of now) hitters, not to mention Jackson would be perfect off the bench as a 4th OF/defensive sub like last year with the Cubs.

Edited by caulfield12

Breakout or fluke?

Padres trying to trade him at what they think is peak value. Smart move especially for a team that wont win for a few years.

Sox need an outfielder who also plays plus D anyway if they are going to give up prospects.

Edited by GreenSox

GREENSOX:

You're talking Trout, S.Marte, Betts, Bradley, Jr., George Springer, Ian Desmond, Fowler, Pillar, Piscotty, Duvall, Yelich...

The players who can contribute both offensively and defensively.

Maybe Pearce is the closest right now to being available, but he's not a great defender by any stretch.

Logan Forsythe, Marcell Ozuna, Kiermaier, Michael Saunders, G.Polanco, Leonys Martin, your next tier.

That leaves Reddick and Cargo again, unless you want to gamble on Ichiro having a seventh life.

Do you see anyone who the White Sox have the pieces to obtain that meets your qualification/standards?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 07:04 AM)
Breakout or fluke?

Padres trying to trade him at what they think is peak value. Smart move especially for a team that wont win for a few years.

Sox need an outfielder who also plays plus D anyway if they are going to give up prospects.

I actually think Myers is more breakout than fluke--but still an injury risk. He was so highly-touted coming up, then had long stretches of success only to be derailed by injuries--some pretty serious which require rehab that would effect his performance for a while. He's always been a high-ceiling player when healthy and now he's showing it once again. One thing for sure, the power is real. I think it would be a good get for us...but man...I'm with all of you who question the cost--especially for his 3 years of control. Unless Avi would be a part of the deal?? Or maybe Saladino, to back up Ramirez--again--before maybe taking over next year??

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
Do you see anyone who the White Sox have the pieces to obtain that meets your qualification/standards?

Probably no one. That's why you build, and not trade away possible/probable rookies of the year for good, not great players. You make savvy trades...you don't force them like Rick Hahn does.

This business of falling in love with every NL hitter who smiles at Hahn/Williams is for the birds. It's what put us in this position and keeps us in the position.

BTW, one element of the Sox early on that was credited for the big improvement was the defense. That element, apparently, isn't important anymore.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
Probably no one. That's why you build, and not trade away possible/probable rookies of the year for good, not great players. You make savvy trades...you don't force them like Rick Hahn does.

This business of falling in love with every NL hitter who smiles at Hahn/Williams is for the birds. It's what put us in this position and keeps us in the position.

BTW, one element of the Sox early on that was credited for the big improvement was the defense. That element, apparently, isn't important anymore.

I get what you are saying. Semien and Trayce are probably both better than people thought. Maybe it speaks to the teams' development being better overall though. The problem with the White Sox system is that they are so weak in that 6-15 range. They don't want to trade their top guys which is understandable. Most teams trade from the back of their top 10 but the White Sox don't have those guys to deal. So they end up dealing guys like Trayce, Montas, and Semien who have had some big league success. I'd trade Trayce Thompson, Micah, and Montas still for Frazier but I get where you are coming from. We just disagree.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
I get what you are saying. Semien and Trayce are probably both better than people thought. Maybe it speaks to the teams' development being better overall though. The problem with the White Sox system is that they are so weak in that 6-15 range. They don't want to trade their top guys which is understandable. Most teams trade from the back of their top 10 but the White Sox don't have those guys to deal. So they end up dealing guys like Trayce, Montas, and Semien who have had some big league success. I'd trade Trayce Thompson, Micah, and Montas still for Frazier but I get where you are coming from. We just disagree.

If the Sox had won, say, 84 games last year, but with a huge 3B void, then I could understand it. But it made no sense to me for a 76 win team (actually worse per run differential) to trade the only CF on the roster, esp considering the org is so short on quality outfielders (Eaton showed last year that he's below par in CF; but the great thing is that he's shown this year that he's above par in RF). They filled one hole to create another.

Players blossoming after so-so minor league careers isn't that unusual (Saladino will be the next, imo). The HR total is a surprise, but the Sox knew Semien could hit (they had some MI depth in the minors). They thought Trayce was a fluke, I suppose, but the D alone should have been good enough.

The other factor is, I believe, that the Sox farm, while still substandard, is improving. The FO approach to drafting finally got serious 5-6 years ago. Some second tier players are going to push through when you draft well. Sox seem to be caught unaware of their own improvement.

Edited by GreenSox

Greensox, that is a good post with a lot of good insight. I wish you didn't always default to attack mode and write with disdain for everyone because your main thesis that we waste young talent to make lateral moves for veterans is obviously pretty strong considering our team the last 2 years.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
If the Sox had won, say, 84 games last year, but with a huge 3B void, then I could understand it. But it made no sense to me for a 76 win team (actually worse per run differential) to trade the only CF on the roster, esp considering the org is so short on quality outfielders (Eaton showed last year that he's below par in CF; but the great thing is that he's shown this year that he's above par in RF). They filled one hole to create another.

Players blossoming after so-so minor league careers isn't that unusual (Saladino will be the next, imo). The HR total is a surprise, but the Sox knew Semien could hit (they had some MI depth in the minors). They thought Trayce was a fluke, I suppose, but the D alone should have been good enough.

The other factor is, I believe, that the Sox farm, while still substandard, is improving. The FO approach to drafting finally got serious 5-6 years ago. Some second tier players are going to push through when you draft well. Sox seem to be caught unaware of their own improvement.

I do agree with ya but I still feel the trade was worth it. They sold high on those three. It did suck having to part with Trayce. I didn't mind losing Semien because of his defense and Montas I thought was a reliever in the end.