07/02 GDT Sox at Astros

The Sir

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
None of us know what is really going on behind the scenes. We can only go by what we observe. But we're all entitled to our opinions, including you and SouthSideSale.

Correct. Although some of us (meaning some posters) do have some behind the scenes information. I guess when I express an opinion on anything I like to base them on at least some direct information.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
Yes, they could have 3 new position players soon after the all star break.

Any ideas? As far as position players I'd like to see them add a centerfielder that can hit and a good hitting first baseman who plays good defense so Abreu can DH. Unless Morneau shows he still has something left in the tank. I'd really like them to picjk up a couple of solid relievers. Don't know if all of this is possible though.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
Rasmus now 0-15 against Robertson? Damn

Really?

Why would Hinch pinch hit him against Robertson? Maybe it's the "he was due" philosophy.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Any ideas? As far as position players I'd like to see them add a centerfielder that can hit and a good hitting first baseman who plays good defense so Abreu can DH. Unless Morneau shows he still has something left in the tank. I'd really like them to picjk up a couple of solid relievers. Don't know if all of this is possible though.

I was just going with getting the original starters (Cabrera and Jackson) back and adding Morneau.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)

Sox don't need Rick Hahn making any more trades. They had a CF, they had a 17 homer guy, and they had a starter w/ a 1.06 WHIP. The D at 3rd isn't the best either...he's probably the best choice to play first.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
It was either Marisnick who is hitting .176 on the year, Rasmus who has a SSS being bad against Robertson or their back up catcher. I think Rasmus was the right move just because he was the best chance to run into one.

Yeah, I guess. There really weren't many good options there. You could probably make a case for any of them. In that situation the HR has the best chance to get the run so why not.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)
Sox don't need Rick Hahn making any more trades. They had a CF, they had a 17 homer guy, and they had a starter w/ a 1.06 WHIP. The D at 3rd isn't the best either...he's probably the best choice to play first.

Agree with you on Hahn, but I wish the Sox could make some good trades/acquisitions for bullpen help and a couple of bats that can also play defense. Don't know if it's possible but if it would require JR overspending in salary as opposed to trading talent than so be it.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)
Agree with you on Hahn, but I wish the Sox could make some good trades/acquisitions for bullpen help and a couple of bats that can also play defense. Don't know if it's possible but if it would require JR overspending in salary as opposed to trading talent than so be it.

I agree with you that the Sox need those players.

I think they can get by with Shuck, at least for a while

They have only 2 dependable late inning relievers.

They have 2 5th starters, but only when those 2 pitch their best.

A starter and late inning reliever cost a ton at the deadline. And that is if Hahn knew what he was doing.

The fault though is the farm...for all the ballyhoo about how good they are with pitching, where is it? We haven't seen a pitcher out of them since Sale or Nate Jones. Can't even pull an 8th inning guy or dependable 5th starter.

And the Sox have maybe 1 A prospect in the whole system (this draft excluded) so they have to load up 3 or 4 of their Bs for a good player, and they really don't have many Bs.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)

I agree with you that the Sox need those players.

I think they can get by with Shuck, at least for a while

They have only 2 dependable late inning relievers.

They have 2 5th starters, but only when those 2 pitch their best.

A starter and late inning reliever cost a ton at the deadline. And that is if Hahn knew what he was doing.

The fault though is the farm...for all the ballyhoo about how good they are with pitching, where is it? We haven't seen a pitcher out of them since Sale or Nate Jones. Can't even pull an 8th inning guy or dependable 5th starter.

And the Sox have maybe 1 A prospect in the whole system (this draft excluded) so they have to load up 3 or 4 of their Bs for a good player, and they really don't have many Bs.

I thought Petricka and Putnam were doing respectable work.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
I thought Petricka and Putnam were doing respectable work.

Petricka seemed to have lost control and was wild which I thought he was hurt. Obviously was because he's now on the shelf. He usually is solid. I never really liked him past the 7th though. Putnam was alright but bad the last time he pitched due to his elbow issue (tendinitis?). There's two there. Disappointing that webb didn't work out. Hope Burdi comes along because that'd be a big addition in August (guessing that's about when they call him up) if this teams still in contention for the second wild card.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
Petricka seemed to have lost control and was wild which I thought he was hurt. Obviously was because he's now on the shelf. He usually is solid. I never really liked him past the 7th though. Putnam was alright but bad the last time he pitched due to his elbow issue (tendinitis?). There's two there. Disappointing that webb didn't work out. Hope Burdi comes along because that'd be a big addition in August (guessing that's about when they call him up) if this teams still in contention for the second wild card.

Burdi is giving up a lot of hits since promoted to A ball I don't think he will contribute this season.

I hate to let everybody in on a secret but right now Sale is MVP of the league. He's 14-2 and the Sox are .500. WIthout him the Sox are total crap. That's the definition of most VALUABLE player, folks. He is the difference between average team and horses***.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 03:43 AM)
I hate to let everybody in on a secret but right now Sale is MVP of the league. He's 14-2 and the Sox are .500. WIthout him the Sox are total crap. That's the definition of most VALUABLE player, folks. He is the difference between average team and horses***.

I've got a secret. Sale is not even the clear cy favorite let alone the mvp. That would be Jose Altuve (Trout is the best player but angels suck) if the season ended today.

By WAR, Trout, Altuve, Donaldson, Machado, Cano, Eaton, Ortiz, Betts, Desmond, Lindor.

Based on playoff teams or close to the hunt, Altuve/Donaldson/Machado/maybe Cano/Ortiz (ESPN/East Coast Bias), Betts...Desmond and Lindor on the outside looking in