Carson Fulmer "in play" for second half

Whisox05

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
If they're going to limit his innings they might as well give him a taste of the MLB.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
Agree 100%, especially when he's likely to be a sizable upgrade over Beck & Ynoa.

Can you imagine adding him and Burdi to our playoff push? And possibly another acquisition for the pen?

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
Can you imagine adding him and Burdi to our playoff push? And possibly another acquisition for the pen?

I think this news, coupled with the aggressive push of Burdi thus far, shows how much people are asking for on the relief market. Im betting they have changed their focus to acquiring another bat.

I like keeping him as a starter to work on his command and overall rhythm. He has been showing some real signs of promise down there, leave him be unless somehow we are in real contention. Burdi on the other hand, keep rushing him up.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
I think this news, coupled with the aggressive push of Burdi thus far, shows how much people are asking for on the relief market. Im betting they have changed their focus to acquiring another bat.

This is a good point.

Anyway, why start his clock? Blah this gives me a bad taste.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
This is a good point.

Anyway, why start his clock? Blah this gives me a bad taste.

It depends on what their plan for next year is. If they are planning on Fulmer being in the Majors at the start of the season then bringing him up this year does nothing to his clock.

This likely means in August or September. Not a big deal. Not comparing him to Urias with the Dodgers but if/when he comes up it will be in the relievers role because of an innings cap.

I am completely fine with this. Let him get a taste of the majors -- plus he should have enough plus stuff out of the bullpen that I'd actually prefer him over some of our guys.

I really, really, really never understand this narrative that you "rush" someone. People act like baseball is all psychology.

Gordon Beckham didn't suck after year one because he was mentally beat up. He sucked for a plethra of reasons involving his swing and not adjusting to pitchers.

Fulmer throws a ball for a living. He's either going to have it or not. Coming up to the majors for a few months in the pen when he's on an innings limit isn't going to change a thing in his development.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
This likely means in August or September. Not a big deal. Not comparing him to Urias with the Dodgers but if/when he comes up it will be in the relievers role because of an innings cap.

I am completely fine with this. Let him get a taste of the majors -- plus he should have enough plus stuff out of the bullpen that I'd actually prefer him over some of our guys.

I really, really, really never understand this narrative that you "rush" someone. People act like baseball is all psychology.

Gordon Beckham didn't suck after year one because he was mentally beat up. He sucked for a plethra of reasons involving his swing and not adjusting to pitchers.

Fulmer throws a ball for a living. He's either going to have it or not. Coming up to the majors for a few months in the pen when he's on an innings limit isn't going to change a thing in his development.

Development of a prospect is a large part psychological in all sports. Many failed athletes have the physical talent but being able to handle the mental aspect may make or break them. This is especially true in baseball where failure is more part of the game than any other sport. The mental adjustment is key to success. For some it comes easily for other, not so much.

In Beckham s case the league adjusted to what he was doing early on and he could never make the subsequent adjustment.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
Development of a prospect is a large part psychological in all sports. Many failed athletes have the physical talent but being able to handle the mental aspect may make or break them. This is especially true in baseball where failure is more part of the game than any other sport. The mental adjustment is key to success. For some it comes easily for other, not so much.

In Beckham s case the league adjusted to what he was doing early on and he could never make the subsequent adjustment.

I always thought Beckham's progress was somewhat thwarted by all of the muscle he put on after he had been called up. In 2009 when he first came up and had the success he had that season, he was far less muscular than he started to be in subsequent seasons. Whatever workout regimens he was on during the offseasons after 2009 led him to put a lot of bulk on his frame, and I always wondered if that somehow negatively impacted his swing, as in, maybe slowing it down. I don't know. Just seemed like all of the muscle didn't serve him well.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)

I tend to agree with you...if you wait for a player to "get comfortable" at each level, then you have to break them and force them to relearn everything about another team's ways every time you move them up. If the skill set is MLB-worthy, then why not put them there where they belong? If you're Mr. Burdi, what difference does it make if you're throwing a 104 mph fastball to some low A prospect or Rajai Davis? The result will likely be the same! I understand in Fulmer's case to keep him down if he has control issues because the skill set doesn't fit the MLB standard. But just for the sake of rushing someone? I don't see it. LeBron and Kobe never spent 3 years in the D-league (let alone college) until they were NBA-ready for the sake of not being "rushed." Even if they HAD weaknesses in their game, their skill set warrants developing at the highest level. LeBron couldn't make free throws...do you keep him in the D-League for 3 years until he figures that out!?!?

Also...look at Rodon...many will say he was "rushed." Were his struggles due to him being rushed, or just not being as good as we thought--YET? You put a player where his skill set fits in--not where you'd feel most comfortable seeing him.

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
Also...look at Rodon...many will say he was "rushed." Were his struggles due to him being rushed, or just not being as good as we thought--YET? You put a player where his skill set fits in--not where you'd feel most comfortable seeing him.

I dont think Rodon was rushed, I think Rodon's problem so far has been the inability to develop an average 3rd pitch. Him taking the next step largely depended on his ability to develop his changeup, which hasn't gone all that great. If batters can sit on two pitches, he will continue to get hit. He's throwing more fastballs and less changeups and sliders than last year, batters know that and are sitting dead red on fastball.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
I dont think Rodon was rushed, I think Rodon's problem so far has been the inability to develop an average 3rd pitch. Him taking the next step largely depended on his ability to develop his changeup, which hasn't gone all that great. If batters can sit on two pitches, he will continue to get hit. He's throwing more fastballs and less changeups and sliders than last year, batters know that and are sitting dead red on fastball.

This, and his mechanics aren't really that good. He gets poor extension, his delivery isn't all too repeatable, and doesn't stay on top of the baseball well. All of that combined will equate to a lack of command.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)

An entirely valid question in reply though is whether he would have been more successful developing that 3rd pitch in AA and AAA for the last season+.

Right now he has to pitch to win games because the White Sox are trying to win games and he's the #3 starter on a team that tells itself they're a contender. He cannot afford to give up a home run on his worst pitch, or walk the bases loaded because he is working on that 3rd pitch. No one cares if Charlotte or Birmingham lose a game because he throws too many changeups.

It is certainly possible to develop a 3rd pitch at the big league level in the offseason or throwing sessions, but that may not work for everyone. So far it has not worked for Rodon, and the organization seems to have bet that it would.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
An entirely valid question in reply though is whether he would have been more successful developing that 3rd pitch in AA and AAA for the last season+.

Right now he has to pitch to win games because the White Sox are trying to win games and he's the #3 starter on a team that tells itself they're a contender. He cannot afford to give up a home run on his worst pitch, or walk the bases loaded because he is working on that 3rd pitch. No one cares if Charlotte or Birmingham lose a game because he throws too many changeups.

It is certainly possible to develop a 3rd pitch at the big league level in the offseason or throwing sessions, but that may not work for everyone. So far it has not worked for Rodon, and the organization seems to have bet that it would.

They tell themselves they are a contender because they are a contender. With Rodon taking the ball every 5 days. Check the standings.