Dodgers kicking Tires on Q

Chisoxfn

That St. Louis deal is not the best offer for the white sox but that is the only fan blog post i've seen with legitimate recognition that it should hurt a bit to acquire a player like sale. Bader is a good OF prospect, Wong is probably a 2 WAR player on average, and Wacha is having a down year but in general a 3.5 ERA pitcher. And then the #2 prospect in baseball.

That's not the deal I'd want for the sox, but it's at least closer to fair.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
Man I love the idea of unloading Q for Alex Reyes ++ and then Sale for Julio Urias ++.

But where's the position players? That's why I like Sale to Boston IF he's dealt. If not, then Q to Boston.

I will say I'm not familiar with STL farm system.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
i do not. i think he is better and more valuable due to his "stuff" and talent.

I do think wins are important in the overall scheme but not for individual trade value.

The thing that keeps Q from being a better pitcher IMO is Sale has an out pitch. The wipeout slider. Q has to use pinpoint command and control. The thing I like about Quintana however is his gutsy performances out of jams. Sale can get pissed off and rattled whereas Q seems like he can stay level headed and in charge.

I'd take Sale over Quintana but it's not a huge gap.

The thing I'm curious to see is Q vs Sale in playoff games. That's got my intrigue if they're traded.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
The thing that keeps Q from being a better pitcher IMO is Sale has an out pitch. The wipeout slider. Q has to use pinpoint command and control. The thing I like about Quintana however is his gutsy performances out of jams. Sale can get pissed off and rattled whereas Q seems like he can stay level headed and in charge.

I'd take Sale over Quintana but it's not a huge gap.

The thing I'm curious to see is Q vs Sale in playoff games. That's got my intrigue if they're traded.

When Q's curveball is going, it can be an out pitch. Just not to the level of Sale's slider/curve or Rodon's slider when on.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
When Q's curveball is going, it can be an out pitch. Just not to the level of Sale's slider/curve or Rodon's slider when on.

You got what I was saying though right?

It's a fun debate because I love them both. Would miss them a lot if they're traded.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
You got what I was saying though right?

It's a fun debate because I love them both. Would miss them a lot if they're traded.

Yeah.

This is why I'm fine with keeping or trading them. They both could command huge ransom's.

Or we still have them, which isn't a bad place to be.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Yeah.

This is why I'm fine with keeping or trading them. They both could command huge ransom's.

Not at all. It'd just force Hahn to become really creative or JR to sack up and spend for a high ticket FA bat.

Depending on the progress of talks about Q, if any, I'd consider skipping Q until after the deadline. I know people would hate it but it wouldn't be the worst thing to protect him from injury while you engage in trade talks at the deadline.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
Yeah.

Its the place the franchise has been for the last three + seasons. Its not really a great place to be either.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Unless a trade partner throws in some proven MLB talent, I'm not convinced anyone will be offering fair value for 3.5 years of Sale or 4.5 years of Q.

I'll take elite prospects - Urias, Moncada, for sure; Bregman and the Pirates guys maybe.

Proven talent like Mazzara or Profar doesn't do much for me. They aren't that great (or at least they haven't played that way yet). Betts is a different story, but that won't hapen.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
I'll take elite prospects - Urias, Moncada, for sure; Bregman and the Pirates guys maybe.

Proven talent like Mazzara or Profar doesn't do much for me. They aren't that great (or at least they haven't played that way yet). Betts is a different story, but that won't hapen.

The bolded comment is just hilarious. Those guys are hardly proven. I'm not a huge fan of Profar being a headerliner in a Sale or Q trade, but that is because he is only controlled for 3 years. That isn't the case with Mazara.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Profar can be a FA in 2020, so I don't see any appeal there.

Thats four years from now. IF he continues his current trajectory you can spin him for more prospects in that time.

The guy was what Moncada is now, the #1 prospect in baseball, a switch hitting 19 year old middle IF with 5 tool potential (except much better defensively) - though with injuries setting him back the last couple of seasons he has been delayed in his development. He is shaking the rust off and now would be a good time to try and buy low and hope he takes off.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
Thats four years from now. IF he continues his current trajectory you can spin him for more prospects in that time.

The guy was what Moncada is now, the #1 prospect in baseball, a switch hitting 19 year old middle IF with 5 tool potential (except much better defensively) - though with injuries setting him back the last couple of seasons he has been delayed in his development. He is shaking the rust off and now would be a good time to try and buy low and hope he takes off.

He has the exact same years remaining as Sale and hasn't broke out yet. If he had already broken out, then it would make more sense. But right now he's far from a sure thing and you can't afford to be patient with him given his years remaining. Not sure how trading Sale or Quintana for him would be buying low either.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
He has the exact same years remaining as Sale and hasn't broke out yet. If he had already broken out, then it would make more sense. But right now he's far from a sure thing and you can't afford to be patient with him given his years remaining. Not sure how trading Sale or Quintana for him would be buying low either.

If had broken out, you are looking at a Betts type of player that would be considered a candidate for a one for one trade with Sale. Getting him in a package with other prospects protects you against him possibly never reaching that potential. It is the same thing as when several people here wanted the Sox to acquire JBJ when he was struggling because if he ever turned it around you would have a perennial all-star type player at a premium position that you acquired at less than peak value.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
I don't want the #1 prospect from four years ago. I want the #1 prospect today.

OK. You realize that Moncada is not a sure thing either though, right? Profar is starting to live up to the hype that made him the #1 prospect, is still only 23, and is a major league ready player. Pulling him and Mazara both would give you two guaranteed ML level players. Moncada is just as likely to struggle when he gets to the majors as Profar was and you may be able to get Moncada for Profar at some point when he starts to struggle. Profar was already in majors by the time he was Moncadas age and put up better numbers in AA when he was two years younger.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
OK. You realize that Moncada is not a sure thing either though, right? Profar is starting to live up to the hype that made him the #1 prospect, is still only 23, and is a major league ready player. Pulling him and Mazara both would give you two guaranteed ML level players. Moncada is just as likely to struggle when he gets to the majors as Profar was and you may be able to get Moncada for Profar at some point when he starts to struggle. Profar was already in majors by the time he was Moncadas age and put up better numbers in AA when he was two years younger.

He has a 96 wRC+ with a .115 ISO and his exit velocity is well below-average. He's hitting .203/.288/.254 in July, so it's not like he's trending upwards. How is that living up to the hype? Small sample size but defensive metrics haven't really liked him either.

Edited by OmarComing25