White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
I didn't realize they had told us the package yet. I'm surprised to hear that Moncada + Benintendi and whatever else isn't on the table "in-season." If by some miracle you get a Betts, then so be it, wait until the off-season.

If that is your requirement, you've ruled out Boston and they're a moot point then because they don't have the pitching. Your best option has a PED suspension under his belt, injuries and is 3 years away from the majors I'd say. Not to mention his innings restriction upon arrival. Hasn't shown the upside of a Sale/Q.

I personally don't think you need an arm for Sale. I think you need to get as much value as you can since he has the most selling power. Whoever that comes from. Hitting should trump filling the void of Sale. This is rebuilding, not re-tooling and putting the same roster together with different names.

I do think you need to acquire an arm or three in the process. I think some good arms will be available for less (see Pomeranz).

With Boston you have potential to net 2 of the top 6/9 prospects in baseball, and more, it sounds like. I'll target a front-line pitcher in another deal.

This is all based on the assumption the Sox are open for business and plan on rebuilding the whole thing. If you're keeping pieces around, then obviously I would maximize targeting those holes. SP may be one of them in that case. If you're flipping the whole thing - you get as much value as you can on your big chips. You isolate on the lesser ones.

I agree with you. Its just that if they flip everything and get no stud pitching prospect, therebuild will take far too long. Drafting astud pitcherwill take at minimum 4 years to develop. That puts the rebuild a long way off because I would not risk the 300 million to buy the pitching. If that cuts out boston, then so be it.they need to make these trades with a plan for the future not just get what they can.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
Wonder if adding Robertson and eating some money would help land both in a Q deal?

Red Sox are not paying a premium in prospects for cash savings. And Robertson is nowhere near good enough to warrant an elite prospect being included.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
I dont think there will be a Boston deal without benintendi.

Yea, Rogers or levine...one of those guys - says Sox love Benintendi.

Falling in love with a specific prospect scares me a bit....could result in the belief of getting more value than the reality

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)

Falling in love with a specific prospect scares me a bit....could result in the belief of getting more value than the reality

Agreed but getting a guy that can hit and field at a premium defensive position is really tempting.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
Yes it is. Also near MLB ready.

I think that's a huge factor. These aren't some Low A ball projects. They're ready to step in next year, if not September of this year. I would be much, much less inclined to trade Sale or Quintana for guys who were several years away, no matter how high their supposed ceilings are.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)

They were gona draft Benintendi last year before the Red Sox took him. Just FYI

Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo 2h2 hours ago

Another MLB exec with interested team a bit more optimistic when asked about Sale deal happening: 'I think there's a chance'

Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo 2h2 hours ago

Talked to multiple MLB execs who say same thing: Sale trade 'highly unlikely' unless White Sox absolutely blown away

https://twitter.com/bradfo

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
Me too.

I don't like what I'm hearing from a lot of these leaked rumors I'm hoping we keep our pitching now. These teams are offering nowhere near what we should be getting for these guys if they are traded.

Edited by soxforlife05

BBTN just had a segment about Sale and what it would take to get him.

Boston - Said Bogaerts and Betts are totally off limits and that Moncada, Benentendi, Kopech, and Swihart was too much. Said Moncada, Kopech, Swihart, and Eduardo Rodriguez was a fair return for the White Sox.

Rangers - Said Mazara, Gallo, Profar, and Dillon Tate was too much and that Mazara, Profar OR Gallo, Luis Ortiz, and Dillon Tate was a fair return.

I don't think I'm good with either of the "fair" packages. Especially with some of the trades that have already happened in the past couple weeks. Three and a half years of a top 5 pitcher in baseball on an extremely team friendly deal is going to have to be an unprecedented package of talent in return and I'm not seeing that in the afore mentioned proposals.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)

Boston - Said Bogaerts and Betts are totally off limits and that Moncada, Benentendi, Kopech, and Swihart was too much. Said Moncada, Kopech, Swihart, and Eduardo Rodriguez was a fair return for the White Sox.

Rangers - Said Mazara, Gallo, Profar, and Dillon Tate was too much and that Mazara, Profar OR Gallo, Luis Ortiz, and Dillon Tate was a fair return.

I don't think I'm good with either of the "fair" packages. Especially with some of the trades that have already happened in the past couple weeks. Three and a half years of a top 5 pitcher in baseball on an extremely team friendly deal is going to have to be an unprecedented package of talent in return and I'm not seeing that in the afore mentioned proposals.

I'd probably do those deals for Quintana, but definitely not for Sale.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
I don't like what I'm hearing from a lot of these leaked rumors I'm hoping we keep our pitching now. These teams are offering nowhere near what we should be getting for these guys if they are traded.

Completely agree. Neither are enough. If Hahn has any hesitation of going to fax the trade into MLB offices, it isn't enough. HAS to be stupid good to trade now. Otherwise wait until the offseason.

Right. There is no reason to trade Sale or Q for a fair package. You want them, pay up big time. With WSD, I heard Dan Hayes say a couple of times there was no way Boston was getting Sale without giving up Betts.

Agree that those are Quintana packages IMO.

If Boston doesn't make a deal with us at the deadline, then I could see them going all out for Sale during the winter meetings. JBJ or Betts, Moncada, Benintendi and Kopech and a smaller A prospect.

Edited by SouthSideSale