Trade Deadline: Sox Make No Moves

Jose Abreu

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 years ago, the Cubs had some of the lowest ratings in baseball. Baseball viewership ratings change quickly. These contracts teams sign are for a long period of time, and it sort of helps the buyer of the rights to spend some money. The more money they give for the rights, the more money the team can spend on players, the better the team, the better the ratings.

So anyone thinking the Sox will sign a 10 or 15 year contract for the lowest rate around, isn't paying attention. The rights buyer obviously wants a deal where they can make some money, but a lowball contract doesn't really do much for them either if it means the team will always suck.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
2 years ago, the Cubs had some of the lowest ratings in baseball. Baseball viewership ratings change quickly. These contracts teams sign are for a long period of time, and it sort of helps the buyer of the rights to spend some money. The more money they give for the rights, the more money the team can spend on players, the better the team, the better the ratings.

So anyone thinking the Sox will sign a 10 or 15 year contract for the lowest rate around, isn't paying attention. The rights buyer obviously wants a deal where they can make some money, but a lowball contract doesn't really do much for them either if it means the team will always suck.

So Comcast will overpay to improve the Sox? As a community service, or because of the leverage JR has with the Bulls?

Hmmmm...

If the Cubs dont start their own station/network in 2019, the argument for paying the White Sox more than they're currently receiving is what?

And WGN and WBBM radio already lost out on the Cubs. Think they regret that now?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
So Comcast will overpay to improve the Sox? As a community service, or because of the leverage JR has with the Bulls?

Hmmmm...

If the Cubs dont start their own station/network in 2019, the argument for paying the White Sox more than they're currently receiving is what?

And WGN and WBBM radio already lost out on the Cubs. Think they regret that now?

They will give more money than you think. As for the radio stations, they don't make much money off sporting events. Not a whole heck of a lot of people are listening to the games on radio. WGN let the Cubs go because they were taking a bath on them even when the team was doing well. The money is in TV where most spend their time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
How many playoff appearances did they have when you became "a fan"? You mean way back when I was 9 years old? Oh, I don't know, Dick. Go back and do the math for yourself around 1977. I'm not going to do it for you because it's irrelevant to the discussions going on about where the team is today.

Why wasn't that important to you and everyone else then? It was probably important to long suffering adult fans back in 1977, given the team had not been to the postseason at that time since 1959. 18 years, and those fans still had 6 more to go before they would see the Sox in the postseason. (Hmmmm....why am I answering such a pointless question like this?)

Then they had a period where they won more games than most but not a lot of playoff appearance. "Won more games that most but not a lot of playoff appearances". Not much of an accomplishment there, Dick, particularly if you subscribe to a theory that Our Very Own Chris Sale maintains, which is that nothing matters other than getting to the postseason. Most knowledgeable fans tend to agree. They have a couple, win a WS, then the bar is moved to CONSECUTIVE PLAYOFF APPEARANCES. Only one team in the AL Central that has never been to the postseason in consecutive seasons. Can you guess which team that is, Dick? The small market Royals? Noooooo. The small market Twins? Nooooooo. The small market Indians? Nooooooooo. The mid market Tigers? Nooooooooo. They've all had several periods where they had streaks of consecutive years of making it to the playoffs. The White Sox have NEVER done that in their entire history. NEVER. So when you declare the "bar is moved" when describing Sox fans' expectations, I respectfully say to you that it is only being moved to that of a minimum standard. Once that is accomplished, Hey Dick, ya gotta a timetable on that? the bar, like it was when the seats were the wrong color, Ahhh yesss, the lame go-to "seats are the wrong color" line the ticket prices too high, the video board isn't big enough, will be moved again. I presume you've gone door to door to the home of every White Sox fan comprising the fan base to be making such statements presumably representing the views of the majority of the thousands of people in the base. Because if not, then this is just the usual rubbish that those who find it sporting to make baseless complaints about the fan base tend to say.

The White Sox have a fanbase who say winning is most important. Oh geez! The audacity! The utter gall of a fan base of a sporting team making winnning its top priority. What's wrong with them!! The reality is many are like you. I'll take that as a compliment, thank you! What is most important is having something to complain about all the time. Which you seem to do at a pace approaching regularity, Dick. Just sayin'!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)

The sox get good again, those will rise. Hell I'll watch a rebuild as long as there's young prospects to watch. But not this s***.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)

Hmmmm...

WBBM owns the SCORE. WBBM was a holding station until the Sox were kicked off of he SCORE. Both are owned by CBS parent company

QUOTE (shakes @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
I'm still torn on whether Hahn is really at the wheel, because I think some of these changes he's behind but they are just trickling in and the impact is too slow while trying to constantly field a competitive team. It's just a totally disjointed approach that has the feel of too many cooks in the kitchen.

It would be ideal to get a new FO in and then make the strategic decisions, but to me that seems about as likely as believing in the Sox bandaid approach working next year. JR's long history really shows the management level shakeup needs to be forced upon him.

Sick of seeing excuses for Hahn. They are all a failure. He's failed spectacularly at what he was given to work with. There is nothing you can point to about this front office and organization for the most part and say they do better than most other teams.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Where do you see us having the lowest rating?

Both FanGraphs and ESPN.com had stories and numbers showing the Sox were the least watched MLB team on a regional cable network. And apparently they are near the bottom again this year.

Mark

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
The sox get good again, those will rise. Hell I'll watch a rebuild as long as there's young prospects to watch. But not this s***.

Have you been watching since this century? You've been seeing prospects under the KW/Hahn era and the result is s***.

An organization that is bad at drafting, scouting, and development will not be any better with "prospects".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)

Great article. Part of the "Cubs" model that everyone thinks will work was having success in the draft. So their organization did a great job in the drafting dept. That is something the Sox are not good at. They keep the same people who have not done anything to improve the team. I wonder how many of them are Reinsdorf's untouchables? How many of them are sought by other organizations?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)

Meanwhile, again in stark contrast, the White Sox continue to surround their core with few talented players and, unfortunately, a large number of black holes. The White Sox operate as a team with no margin for error, but any reasonable organization would understand there’s inevitably going to be something that goes wrong for your team (apparently the year 2005 was an exception). Because the White Sox operate this way, they can’t afford things like losing Austin Jackson and Alex Avila for extended periods of time. That’s insane, especially when you consider that most contending organizations wouldn’t even employ these guys as starters to begin with.The White Sox shouldn’t need to rebuild right now, instead they need to actually attempt to put good players around their already excellent core.

I agree with this. The Sox always seem to half ass everything. They can win with this core but it's going to take JR getting out the checkbook and outbidding everyone for a some bona fide star players and taking on some big contracts of good players from other teams. If JR would up the team payroll to over $170M next year, and bring in a new coaching staff, the Sox could be competitive. That's the position he and his front office put this organization in.

If he's not willing to spend that kind of money then they will have to risk trading Sale for a bunch of near ready prospects and hope most of them make it.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)

I agree with that for the most part. Bottom line is: situation hopeless.

From the comments:

Mark

This is…bleak. Well written, but so bleak.

July 29, 2016 at 8:12 am

Mike Musary

Thanks. It’s unfortunately the sad reality that the White Sox find themselves in.

July 29, 2016 at 12:58 pm

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
Have you been watching since this century? You've been seeing prospects under the KW/Hahn era and the result is s***.

An organization that is bad at drafting, scouting, and development will not be any better with "prospects".

I mean now. The sox have been better more recently at drafting. Trading Sale and Q would mean we're trading for successful organizations prospects.

QUOTE (shakes @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
If that's the case then they suck at negotiating. As I stated earlier, many teams around baseball made good deals selling at the deadline.

They are also bad at making hard decisions. Not selling last deadline put them at a disadvantage this offseason, just like not selling at this years deadline will hurt in the future years building this team.

I wouldn't be too sure. Winning teams with a better farm system often get better deals.

I would assume why the Sox didn't complete a deal is they were not offered enough position players. Some of the proposed deals two position players and three pitchers. Do the Sox really need pitching prospects? If you are giving up a Sale one of those position prospect better be close to the 2nd coming of Mike Trout and you have to be 125% sure on your scouting reports.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
I mean now. The sox have been better more recently at drafting. Trading Sale and Q would mean we're trading for successful organizations prospects.

Only pitching. The rest is incompetence. They can't identify or develop position prospects.

That article said: "The White Sox shouldn’t need to rebuild right now, instead they need to actually attempt to put good players around their already excellent core."

This line said it all. Many of us have alluded to the fact we have elite players in Sale, Q, Robertson, Abreu, Frazier (30 HRs is pretty good), Anderson and Eaton. We just have too many stiffs surrounding them. And no DH is a problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
That article said: "The White Sox shouldn’t need to rebuild right now, instead they need to actually attempt to put good players around their already excellent core."

This line said it all. Many of us have alluded to the fact we have elite players in Sale, Q, Robertson, Abreu, Frazier (30 HRs is pretty good), Anderson and Eaton. We just have too many stiffs surrounding them. And no DH is a problem.

That's Hahn. His acquisitions have all been ass with the exception of Melky and Robertson.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 09:48 PM)
Drafting?

Who?

I hope it's not all based on Anderson, Rodon and Fulmer...along with Adams.

Because of this year's first three? Hmmm...

It's more than that. They got Micah in the 9th round. They're finding guys like Semien, Trayce, Engel. It's start for me at least for a team who couldn't develop hitters worth a s*** for years. Maybe I'm just naive and hoping it's getting better. I don't know. I'm trying to find positives here in an otherwise negative ball club on a daily basis. Baseball takes longer to fix messy situations whereas a sport like football or basketball you can fix them a lot quicker. It took Dayton Moore years to get KC out of their hell. He's just one example off the top of my head.

The thing that has me worried is the power structure issues. You got media members like Buster Olney talking about it after the trade deadline. I'd have to look it up what he said exactly. They touched on it on the SSS podcast tonight. I want their to be some clarity in who is in charge in the front office. Is Hahn handcuffed too much?

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:13 PM)
That's Hahn. His acquisitions have all been ass with the exception of Melky and Robertson.

Lets point out that Robertson, abreu, Eaton, melky and Frazier were all brought in under hahn. Also anderson, rodon, and fulmer were all drafted under hahn. When was the last time the sox had good drafts that their top pick were in the majors within a year 3 times in a row. Most of kennys picks under him have been busts. Most of the current core pieces are because of hahn. Hahn was given an aging team and crap of a farm system. Current team is younger. Also sales and Quintanas team friendly contracts were signed under hahn. Unfortunately i still dont think hahn has full say as gm and isnt given more money to play with cause of jerry

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer