New Ballpark Name

shysocks

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chuckled and shook my head when I heard the news. Par for the course with this franchise. If that is all they could find, what can you do? And the G.R. guy said the White Sox sought them out, not the other way around.

How about John Deere Field?

Caterpillar Park? The CAT would sound pretty cool.

Wallgreens? ADM? ConAgra?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
I chuckled and shook my head when I heard the news. Par for the course with this franchise. If that is all they could find, what can you do? And the G.R. guy said the White Sox sought them out, not the other way around.

How about John Deere Field?

Caterpillar Park? The CAT would sound pretty cool.

Wallgreens? ADM? ConAgra?

So you think Guaranteed Rate was the White Sox first and only call? Maybe these other companies don't see value in putting their name on a stadium. It probably would be very hard to determine what kind of business is generated just by purchasing naming rights. I'm sure they took the best deal. I really doubt they were thinking, let's pick these guys because it will really piss some people off.

If the White Sox were in first place right now, people wouldn't care about this at all. It's just a case of trying to kick someone when they are down.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
So you think Guaranteed Rate was the White Sox first and only call? Maybe these other companies don't see value in putting their name on a stadium. It probably would be very hard to determine what kind of business is generated just by purchasing naming rights. I'm sure they took the best deal. I really doubt they were thinking, let's pick these guys because it will really piss some people off.

Due to the awfulness there are millions of more people that have now heard the name. This has been a national news story.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Due to the awfulness there are millions of more people that have now heard the name. This has been a national news story.

No such thing as bad pub. There are people that are so up in arms about this name change, yet wouldn't mind if a wife beater was on the roster if it helped the team win. Let Cubs fans make fun of the name, and least we aren't cheering for wife beaters.

If the White Sox were in first place right now, people wouldn't care about this at all. It's just a case of trying to kick someone when they are down.

Of course they took the best deal. We don't know if John Deere, or any other well respected company, was interested in being associated with the White Sox at all. Probably not.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Of course they took the best deal. We don't know if John Deere, or any other well respected company, was interested in being associated with the White Sox at all. Probably not.

Why would John Deere want to pay millions to name a park in Chicago? Why haven't they hooked up with any other team? Is it just the White Sox these companies don't want to be associated? I think the White Sox actually have a pretty good reputation in the business community.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)
Brett Myers, Wil Cordero and Ryan Lochte Field.

No publicity is bad, right? Might as well name it Trump Field...then he could sue and they would be in the news for months and months.

Pure brilliance.

I don't even know what your point is anymore.

That was exactly what I wrote.

You're 100% right. But they aren't in first place. And they haven't been very often for the last 10 years. And with fanbase morale dropping lower and lower, the fans feel like they are getting kicked when they are down. People will forget about it if they start winning. That feels like a big if right now.

ISFA Chairman Manny Sanchez said that move could save the stadium authority as much as $25 million in facility upgrades over the course of the final years of the Sox's lease.

"That's a huge piece of this from an ISFA perspective," Sanchez said. "This is something that is a really, really serendipitous godsend that we have encountered."

Revenue and savings late during the next decade will be critical for ISFA, which uses hotel tax revenue and annual city and state subsidies to pay off the debt from the renovation of Soldier Field and the construction and maintenance of the Sox's park.

That annual debt obligation will steadily balloon from $38.5 million for the year ending June 30, 2017 to $87 million in 2032.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
The White Sox also have employed players (just named two) not unlike Aroldis Chapman who were abusive to their wives....but now we're outraged when the Cubs do the same thing?

The point was the Cubs fans who are cheering on a wife beater are now making fun of a stadium name. Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

If you have no problem cheering on total known to be assholes, a corporate name on a park shouldn't bother you at all, especially considering it was going to be some corporate name anyway and they took the best deal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
The White Sox also have employed players (just named two) not unlike Aroldis Chapman who were abusive to their wives....but now we're outraged when the Cubs do the same thing?

Yea and you throw in Lochte and make your post look confusing. Hopefully that doesnt go in the scrapbook

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
ISFA Chairman Manny Sanchez said that move could save the stadium authority as much as $25 million in facility upgrades over the course of the final years of the Sox's lease.

"That's a huge piece of this from an ISFA perspective," Sanchez said. "This is something that is a really, really serendipitous godsend that we have encountered."

Revenue and savings late during the next decade will be critical for ISFA, which uses hotel tax revenue and annual city and state subsidies to pay off the debt from the renovation of Soldier Field and the construction and maintenance of the Sox's park.

That annual debt obligation will steadily balloon from $38.5 million for the year ending June 30, 2017 to $87 million in 2032.

This post appears to aim that we should be thanking Jerry for saving the state for paying for his f'ing stadium's construction and maintenance by auctioning off the franchises dignity to a bunch of wrigleyville lending bros.

Thanks Jerry.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)

This makes sense. Dick is one of the only ones making sense in here. They took the best deal they could find for the naming rights. The name isn't ideal but it doesn't really matter. If the team can get better and find a way to win, nobody will care about the name of the stadium. I said yesterday that they can call it Turd Sandwich Field if the team gets better for all I care. Those of you that are adults and still have Cubs/Sox arguments with dips***s, well I can't help you there. This thread is awful.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
This post appears to aim that we should be thanking Jerry for saving the state for paying for his f'ing stadium's construction and maintenance by auctioning off the franchises dignity to a bunch of wrigleyville lending bros.

Thanks Jerry.

No. I actually am totally against publicly funded stadiums. I'm just showing that this deal is a positive for taxpayers of IL. That is what really matters. The state will get more money. I don't know if Guaranteed Rate is a good company or not, I would imagine they were vetted, but we can find lawsuits and huge fines with any large company. If JP Morgan Chase bought the rights would anyone complain? They have been fined billions of dollars.

Edited by Dick Allen

Cub fans don't bother me one iota. But the never ending series of embarrassments and marketing blunders has an effect on the marginal fans and potential fans. Adolescents, for example: who wants to be the idiot in middle school riding the White Sox bandwagon? I know some will claim if you don't wave your Sox banner high and proud no matter the circumstances, you are a morally flawed person...could be. But this team is on a slow death spiral IMO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
This makes sense. Dick is one of the only ones making sense in here. They took the best deal they could find for the naming rights. The name isn't ideal but it doesn't really matter. If the team can get better and find a way to win, nobody will care about the name of the stadium. I said yesterday that they can call it Turd Sandwich Field if the team gets better for all I care. Those of you that are adults and still have Cubs/Sox arguments with dips***s, well I can't help you there. This thread is awful.

No one will eventually care about it. BUt for the record, at least with the naming rights to US Cellular the sox marketed the change letting everyone know of specific stadium improvements we would see and updated fans on how those changes would be coming.

This change, happening this year, a year where sox fans would love to talk about a competitive baseball team, but in the perpetual absence of one, would at least like to not be forced to talk about a 12 year old taking down the clubhouse, a starting pitcher cutting up jerseys in tantrum, the worst starting pitcher stretch in history, and now naming our stadium the equivelant of being put in the town stocks to have tomatoes thrown at us.

Not much to ask. Just the basic competence the majority of other franchises are capable of.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
No. I actually am totally against publicly funded stadiums. I'm just showing that this deal is a positive for taxpayers of IL. That is what really matters. The state will get more money. I don't know if Guaranteed Rate is a good company or not, I would imagine they were vetted, but we can find lawsuits and huge fines with any large company. If JP Morgan Chase bought the rights would anyone complain? They have been fined billions of dollars.

You are right, that was just using your post to jump off of. Sorry.

In reality, is someone not going to buy tickets to a game because of the name of the stadium? I highly doubt it. They're going to not buy tickets because the product on the field is bad. If the Sox somehow make the right moves, compete, and make it to the playoffs in 2017, no one will care what the name of the stadium is.

All that being said, they have to fix the problems on the field.