The Anthem

greg775

Do you support what Colin did?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Kaepernick's decision to sit?

• Yes. Great way to express himself
    • No. What was he thinking?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (juddling @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
Maybe next time Colin wants to talk about the oppressive American government, he should wear something other than a Fidel Castro T shirt.....

Weird. Couldn't find a single quote from him mentioning an "oppressive American government".

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
Weird. Couldn't find a single quote from him mentioning an "oppressive American government".

First article I googled....... article (third paragraph down)

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Now granted he said a country not government per se and even though I believe it's pretty obvious what he's talking about...if you care to nitpick the difference....so be it

Still....the irony of the Castro shirt is amazing to me

A white person claims America is horrible and we need to make it great again, wins his party's nomination for President.

A black athlete claims America is horrible and gets slammed.

Black people are told to stop the violent protests and protest peacefully.

Black man sits silently during anthem, Oops that's wrong.

No racial problems in America

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
A white person claims America is horrible and we need to make it great again, wins his party's nomination for President.

A black athlete claims America is horrible and gets slammed.

Black people are told to stop the violent protests and protest peacefully.

Black man sits silently during anthem, Oops that's wrong.

No racial problems in America

"Colin Kaepernick is black?" - Rodney Harrison

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
I probably shouldnt be surprised but I think a lot of people are making too big a deal about this. Clearly nothing will change because he refuses to stand for the national anthem but its certainly his right to protest.

It's certainly his right to protest, but it's going to accomplish nothing. At this point, this move really isn't going to add much awareness to the underlying issue. Would be nice to see more celebrities invest their time & money in their communities and attempt to drive some actual change, no matter how small that may be. I'll give credits to guys like Snoop Dogg & Game for at least trying something tangible when it comes to citizen-police relations rather than just stating the obvious.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
It's certainly his right to protest, but it's going to accomplish nothing. At this point, this move really isn't going to add much awareness to the underlying issue. Would be nice to see more celebrities invest their time & money in their communities and attempt to drive some actual change, no matter how small that may be. I'll give credits to guys like Snoop Dogg & Game for at least trying something tangible when it comes to citizen-police relations rather than just stating the obvious.

Ya I agree. Im certainly not giving him any credit for doing it, its a pretty empty gesture for someone with his money. I just think its wrong for people to claim he shouldnt have the right to do it, not that that was what you personally were saying.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Ya I agree. Im certainly not giving him any credit for doing it, its a pretty empty gesture for someone with his money. I just think its wrong for people to claim he shouldnt have the right to do it, not that that was what you personally were saying.

He is sitting to draw attention to an injustice he sees. That's been a success. People are talking about it and why he's protesting.

Will it change anything? Probably not, but maybe it furthers the discussion of police brutality and gets other people involved. I'd sure rather have a guy sit out the anthem than walk up to a cop and shoot him.

I really hate that the military pays the NFL all this money to make this happen. The NFL wouldn't even play the anthem if the military didn't pay them.

The whole thing is a farce and nationalism at its finest. Sitting down during the national anthem is more patriotic than standing during it.

DoD paid $53 million of taxpayers' money to pro sports for military tributes, report says

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 02:25 AM)
Sitting down during the national anthem is more patriotic than standing during it.

DoD paid $53 million of taxpayers' money to pro sports for military tributes, report says

Playing the anthem is a tribute to our military. It seems to me most Americans are very supportive of the military. Some of those tributes at games are pretty nice. Colin K is taking a stand that is a slap in the face to all members of the military. If he doesn't mean it as a slap to the military then donate one million out of your 14 per season to Wounded Warriors, Colin. His stance is truly pathetic.

Deadpool, do you have something against our fine men and women of the military? You know a lot of military have given their lives so we can remain free. A lot have lost limbs and have had to deal with s*** medical care here back home. Colin sitting during the anthem is such a punk move. If I were his dad I'd tell him to f***ing grow up and he's lucky I'm not disowning him. Pathetic.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 08:25 PM)
I really hate that the military pays the NFL all this money to make this happen. The NFL wouldn't even play the anthem if the military didn't pay them.

The whole thing is a farce and nationalism at its finest. Sitting down during the national anthem is more patriotic than standing during it.

Last year Deadspin found that like a third of the NFL teams made profits off the NFL's "salute to service" week or month. I was glad to see the Bears were not one of those teams, especially since it's Soldier Field. The teams that did make a profit quickly gave back the money once it was revealed.

CB Jeremy Lane for Seattle also sat tonight during the anthem. I like it. I hope more players do it so it's not about demonizing one individual and the reason for the protest becomes the focus.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 04:40 AM)
The national anthem is a song for the entire country....all citizens, It is not a military song.

Yes. But when Colin and others protest by sitting during the anthem, it's really a direct slap in the face to military men and women.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 12:42 AM)
Yes. But when Colin and others protest by sitting during the anthem, it's really a direct slap in the face to military men and women.

So if you don't like how the police deals with minorities in this country, you're slapping the people who serve in the military in the face? Come on Greg, those things aren't directly related and Kaepernick has said that his protest is not trying to relate the two.

People don't join the military and fight in wars just so the citizens of this country can stand during the national anthem. They do it so you can stand or sit. That's what fighting for freedom is all about.

It's crazy how in 30-40 years, we've gone from the troops being hated after Vietnam to them being put on this giant pedestal where any act deemed Unamerican is somehow an insult to those in the military. I guess that's what pumping lots of money into patriotic advertising over the course of time does for you.

Look around the next time you're at a game. Most fans barely pay attention during the anthem - never mind actually standing at attention. Very few actually sing (if they even know the words).

Of course, if you're a Blackhawks fan, you stand a scream during the anthem, because that shows support for our military. And it doesn't just happen in Chicago. Hawks fans do it at road games, too, if they make up a large amount of the crowd.

Remember, they're cheering to support our military, not because they are Hawks fans. Oddly, the same fans don't show their support for the military by screaming through the anthem at other Chicago sports events. Don't see it at Wrigley. Not at GRate field. Not at Soldier. Same fans, but they don't honor our military the same way as they do at Hawks games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 12:42 AM)

This is ignorant. The right to free speech is so much more important than pretending to honor the military with a national anthem which isn't really a tradition. Do you really want to honor the military? Call your Congressmen and tell them to fix that deathtrap they call the VA. I promise you that will honor them much more than standing for the national anthem, as it would actually save lives. If you want to talk about slaps in the face to the military, that is #1.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)

There has been an outpouring of support for him from military personnel.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 01:42 AM)

Playing it at every single sporting event, every single day is a slap in the face to the meaning of the song.

It gets routine and loses some of its meaning after awhile.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Colin Kaepernick to donate $1 million to charities that aid communities

Yeah Donald Trump and all of the other critics. This piece of s*** needs to go live in another country. SMH

The ad on the site blocked the title and says "Colin Kaepernick to donate $1 to charities that aid communities". :lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 07:15 AM)
This is ignorant. The right to free speech is so much more important than pretending to honor the military with a national anthem which isn't really a tradition. Do you really want to honor the military? Call your Congressmen and tell them to fix that deathtrap they call the VA. I promise you that will honor them much more than standing for the national anthem, as it would actually save lives. If you want to talk about slaps in the face to the military, that is #1.

Shhhh, it's easier to pretend like we care and not actually do anything.