2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

QUOTE (budgie23 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:34 PM)
Could JBJ be a comparable to J Kendall?

Low AVG, elite defense, above average power - obviously you take him at #11 - if he ends up like JBJ

Kendall has much better speed than Bradley, but the rest of the projection holds true

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The White Sox are guaranteed to get a pretty good player. All 4 OF's (Haseley, Beck, Adell, Kendall), Pavin Smith, Royce Lewis, Hunter Greene, Brendan McKay, Kyle Wright, JB Bukauskus, and Mackenzie Gore. They are guaranteed one of those players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2017 -> 05:45 PM)
Aren't comps usually based on ceilings when you are drafting kids? I mean no one in their right minds thinks these are major league ready kids as of today, so the expectation is that they are going to grow and develop into those projections, not that they are those guys right now.

Yeah it's just that he's such an outlier. Every fast singles-hitting outfielder isn't tagged with an ichiro comp, but every low-power, good defensive 1b gets hit with an Olerud comp. But Olerud was an offensive force even without power.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
Yeah it's just that he's such an outlier. Every fast singles-hitting outfielder isn't tagged with an ichiro comp, but every low-power, good defensive 1b gets hit with an Olerud comp. But Olerud was an offensive force even without power.

Mostly because there aren't a lot of guys who compare to with that skill set. It is one of those things where if your 1B has that skill set, you are looking for a 1B that first the more traditional mold.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)

I actually hate when every decent hit tool, but limited power 1B prospect with solid defense is compared to Olerud. It HUGELY discounts how good of a player Olerud was for such a long time. He was worth 58 WAR in his career and is a fringe hall of famer. From what I have seen Pavin Smith is a quality prospect, but 1B only types really have to perform with the bat to have much value.

I'd much rather draft positions much harder to fill

This DH interview with Hostetler is pretty eye opening. Says they're down to six players on the big board - 4 college, 2 prep. No breakdown on bats v. arms. Says they are prioritizing the same things as last year.

"We do want to limit a guy with a swing and miss (probability); we want to make sure that we have hitters who put the ball in play and pitchers who pound the zone."

Doesn't really sound like Kendall, but then again, Hahn met with him, so there's some smoke there.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20170601..._medium=twitter

- Kendall

- Pratto

- Faedo

- Peterson

- Smith

- DL Hall

You could swap Smith for Haseley, but I assume they assume he will be gone. I'm also really hoping they are at least considering an underslot deal for like, Hiura or Warmoth.

Actually based on his comments i'm gonna edit this.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 09:11 PM)
- Kendall

- Pratto

- Faedo

- Peterson

- Smith

- DL Hall

You could swap Smith for Haseley, but I assume they assume he will be gone. I'm also really hoping they are at least considering an underslot deal for like, Hiura or Warmoth.

Actually based on his comments i'm gonna edit this.

They're guaranteed one of the top 11 guys so there's really no reason for it to be Pratto, Faedo, Peterson or Hall IMO. I could be wrong though. I would guess that it's: Haseley, Kendall, Smith, Bukauskus, Adell, and Gore.

It would be pretty funny if they took Peterson and he became the next Mark Buehrle....after spending all this time debating collegiate hitters. Then they used some of the cost savings to double down and find another potential stud in the second round.

Obviously a much bigger pitcher with a better fastball, but certainly not a Sale/flamethrower type either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)
It would be pretty funny if they took Peterson and he became the next Mark Buehrle....after spending all this time debating collegiate hitters. Then they used some of the cost savings to double down and find another potential stud in the second round.

Obviously a much bigger pitcher with a better fastball, but certainly not a Sale/flamethrower type either.

I think Peterson is a closer comp to Kyle Freeland, an unheralded college lefty that pitched himself into the top 10 with a dominant junior season. I don't think it would be a huge stretch to see Peterson go higher than has been projected and I wouldn't be overly disappointed with the Sox taking him either if Haseley, Smith, Addell and Beck are gone.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
They're guaranteed one of the top 11 guys so there's really no reason for it to be Pratto, Faedo, Peterson or Hall IMO. I could be wrong though. I would guess that it's: Haseley, Kendall, Smith, Bukauskus, Adell, and Gore.

That would be my guess too but why just six? I can't imagine our board mirrors CW so exactly. Has to be some favorite and I'd say Peterson would be a good dark horse.

I really really like Austin Beck. Doesn't sound like he will be the guy, but love the upside.

Fangraphs on Beck: "But he has among the loudest tools in the entire draft including the class' best bat speed, plus raw power projection and a plus arm. If he hits he's a star, but the risk is high."

More on Beck:

The extremely respected David Rawnsley at Perfect Game is not a person who falls victim to hype, yet he had this to say about Beck:

“. . .the most impressive thing about Beck when I saw him was his bat and offensive profile. His hitting approach is outstanding, with a balanced set up and directional stride at the plate, ideal hand position with a calm and relaxed load and as good of lower half torque and whip as this scout has seen in a long time. The raw bat speed is extreme, absolute highest level. . .Beck hits to all fields due to his balance and ability to wait on the ball and very consistently squares the ball up.

The popular comparison in the scouting community for North Carolina's fast-rising outfielder Austin Beck has been Mike Trout, which this scout has heard three different times in the last few weeks. It seemed a bit presumptuous to compare an 18-year old who has a short a resume as Beck to the game's best player, to be honest, but after seeing Beck play in person in late March this scout began to understand where those scouts were coming from."

Edited by NCsoxfan

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Could Burger be a good pick at 11 if it is believed he will stick at 3B long-term and he is the best bat available at that time and will sign for under-slot?

If they believed in him I'd be fine with it.

Stupid and simple post but if Burger turns into a power-hitting 3b then he's obviously worth it. -> saying my post is very obvious analysis.

I don't worry as much about "reaching" (unless we are talking about KW) in the MLB draft because it's not like you actually have the option to trade down.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
I really really like Austin Beck. Doesn't sound like he will be the guy, but love the upside.

Fangraphs on Beck: "But he has among the loudest tools in the entire draft including the class' best bat speed, plus raw power projection and a plus arm. If he hits he's a star, but the risk is high."

Yeah me too.

While Kendall scares the s*** out of me because of the contact issues, I'm sure I could talk myself into the pick because of the upside. The White Sox having some sort of track record of fixing hitters would certainly make it easier though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
If they believed in him I'd be fine with it.

Stupid and simple post but if Burger turns into a power-hitting 3b then he's obviously worth it. -> saying my post is very obvious analysis.

I don't worry as much about "reaching" (unless we are talking about KW) in the MLB draft because it's not like you actually have the option to trade down.

Dude has hit well in college.

Austin Jackson as a Kendall comp?

Jackson was a highly rated prospect out of the Yankees system, flashed power, played + defense, and was pretty good for a while but Jacksons injuries have derailed him somewhat. K's a lot more than you would like for someone of his skillset.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Austin Jackson as a Kendall comp?

Jackson was a highly rated prospect out of the Yankees system, flashed power, played + defense, and was pretty good for a while but Jacksons injuries have derailed him somewhat. K's a lot more than you would like for someone of his skillset.

For the skill set I keep reading about, Austin Jackson makes a lot of sense as well.