2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)
True, but I guess I don't understand how say the Angels drafting at 10 would say "The ChiSox are taking Kendall at 11! No way! We are gonna take him first even though we were planning on taking Beck instead of him, but since the Sox want Kendall, we will take him to spite them."

Or something like that.

Demand has a way of influencing other people into something they think they are missing.

1) Haseley

2) Beck

3) Adell

4) Bukauskus

5) Kendall

6) White

7) Smith

8) Pratto

9) Peterson

More and more insiders saying Kendall linked to the White Sox. Very similar to last year when Burdi was considered a lock at #24 which turned out to be true. Love Kendall's tools, but getting the barrel out in front, recognition of breaking balls, 26K% at the college level, and being able to make consistent contact scare me. I'm not as quite nervous to choosing Kendall as in the past because the Sox are becoming more successful developing hitters down on the farm. We need another big time hitter at #11.

kendall is a risk, no doubt about it. but we are drafting 11, not 2. Never gonna find a sure thing at 11.

prior #11 picks

2016 Kyle Lewis

2015 Tyler Stephenson

2014 Max Pentecost

2013 Dominic Smith

2012 Addison Russell

2011 George Springer

2010 Deck McGuire

2009 Tyler Matzek

2008 Justin Smoak

2007 Phillippe Aumont

2006 Max Scherzer

2005 Andrew McCutchen

2004 Neil Walker

2003 Michael Aubrey

2002 Jeremy Hermida

2001 Kenny Baugh

2000 Dave Krynzel

1999 Ryan Christianson

1998 Josh McKinley

1997 Chris Enochs

1996 Adam Eaton (not that adam eaton obviously)

1995 Mike Drumright

1994 Mark Farris

1993 Daron Kirkreit

1992 Derek Wallace

1991 Shawn Estes

1990 Shane Andrews

Some good players in there -but a lot more boobs. I think if you got an average everyday player at 11 youd consider yourself lucky -Kendall's defense and athleticism at a premium position I think at least give him a reasonable chance of being a 4th OFer type. If he hits, he can be a regular IMO.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
kendall is a risk, no doubt about it. but we are drafting 11, not 2. Never gonna find a sure thing at 11.

prior #11 picks

2016 Kyle Lewis

2015 Tyler Stephenson

2014 Max Pentecost

2013 Dominic Smith

2012 Addison Russell

2011 George Springer

2010 Deck McGuire

2009 Tyler Matzek

2008 Justin Smoak

2007 Phillippe Aumont

2006 Max Scherzer

2005 Andrew McCutchen

2004 Neil Walker

2003 Michael Aubrey

2002 Jeremy Hermida

2001 Kenny Baugh

2000 Dave Krynzel

1999 Ryan Christianson

1998 Josh McKinley

1997 Chris Enochs

1996 Adam Eaton (not that adam eaton obviously)

1995 Mike Drumright

1994 Mark Farris

1993 Daron Kirkreit

1992 Derek Wallace

1991 Shawn Estes

1990 Shane Andrews

Some good players in there -but a lot more boobs. I think if you got an average everyday player at 11 youd consider yourself lucky -Kendall's defense and athleticism at a premium position I think at least give him a reasonable chance of being a 4th OFer type. If he hits, he can be a regular IMO.

At 11 overall you really should be drafting a player with the potential to become a viable MLB regular.

I'm not sure Kendall will even fall to is given the quality of his other tools besides the bat.

Do you guys agree with this assessment of Pavin Smith, in this just published article linked below? What am I missing? I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be overwhelmingly impressed with a college hitter, with his rare combination of plate discipline and power, especially from the left side. I realize that he doesn't play a premium position, but you probably know how much I value middle of the order, left handed hitters. It's a lot easier to fill holes in the lineup, with average hitters, who provide plus defense. Big offensive production is harder to come by and very costly through free agency, even if it has to come from first base, or DH.

Although he's expected to go in the first round, there doesn't seem to be a consensus regarding exactly where. Would you take him, if he were available, at #11:

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2017/6/2/15...kland-as-rumors

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
Do you guys agree with this assessment of Pavin Smith, in this just published article linked below? What am I missing? I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be overwhelmingly impressed with a college hitter, with his rare combination of plate discipline and power, especially from the left side. I realize that he doesn't play a premium position, but you probably know how much I value middle of the order, left handed hitters. It's a lot easier to fill holes in the lineup, with average hitters, who provide plus defense. Big offensive production is harder to come by and very costly through free agency, even if it has to come from first base, or DH.

Although he's expected to go in the first round, there doesn't seem to be a consensus regarding exactly where. Would you take him, if he were available, at #11:

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2017/6/2/15...kland-as-rumors

I think he goes top 10. I'd be underwhelmed with that pick personally. He doesn't have enough power for me. I need my 1B to mash and he just doesn't. He'll hit and he won't strikeout very much but he's probably a 15-20 HR guy. I think you go for upside and guys that might be able to play a premium position when you pick high. Sox can find a 1B when it's time to win. That's just my take though.

Because what if the ability just equated to a .280/.350/.400 hitter. That's a pretty good offensive player! But that's also a first baseman you'd probably want to upgrade on.

There is just zero room for error on his offensive game.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
I think he goes top 10. I'd be underwhelmed with that pick personally. He doesn't have enough power for me. I need my 1B to mash and he just doesn't. He'll hit and he won't strikeout very much but he's probably a 15-20 HR guy. I think you go for upside and guys that might be able to play a premium position when you pick high. Sox can find a 1B when it's time to win. That's just my take though.

That's putting it mildly. :lol:

Dude screams Casey Kotchman to me. Plus, I loathe picking a 1B that high unless he is absolutely special.

John Manuel‏Verified account @johnmanuelba 22s22 seconds ago

John Manuel Retweeted Jane Lee

Mock coming Tuesday will feature Beck high. A's have been deep in NC all year on Gore, Bukauskas & Beck

Jane LeeVerified account @JaneMLB

A's are working out North Carolina prep OF Austin Beck at Coliseum right now. Beane, Forst, large crew from scouting department on hand.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (shoeless_joe21 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 12:40 AM)
Kendall just absolutely air-mailed a throw to third. Covered an impressive amount of ground trying to make the catch though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he a projected CF?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
Awesome set of games going with Wright, Kendall, McKay and Beer

The NCAA tourney is such a fun event. Really glad you can watch the whole thing on ESPN - its so perfectly timed with the draft

Can someone tell me what the issue with Burger is? Is that he goes to a small school? He shows + power, is walking more than K'ing, and and has good contact skills. So is it level of competition? Or that he's not a great athlete? To me he seems like a low floor, but still high ceiling prospect that should be in high consideration for pick #11.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 09:48 PM)
Can someone tell me what the issue with Burger is? Is that he goes to a small school? He shows + power, is walking more than K'ing, and and has good contact skills. So is it level of competition? Or that he's not a great athlete? To me he seems like a low floor, but still high ceiling prospect that should be in high consideration for pick #11.

Concerns about the hit tool (swing), level of competition, and physique is what I've read thus far.