SOURCE: 2 horse race between Dodgers and Astros

Carpe Diem

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)
Sale and Frazier for Bregman, Martes, Reed, Paulino, Cameron, and Stubbs

I think that trade helps both franchises out a lot.

Only if they're convinced Gurriel can't play 3B competently.

One would think they would want to diversify their offense away from high K, high homer but mostly lower OBP guys. That's not the type of offense that's going to successfully manufacture runs in the postseason, after you get through Altuve and Correa. Sure, they might all get hot at the same time, but the odds of that happening against elite pitching aren't that substantial.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
Only if they're convinced Gurriel can't play 3B competently.

One would think they would want to diversify their offense away from high K, high homer but mostly lower OBP guys. That's not the type of offense that's going to successfully manufacture runs in the postseason, after you get through Altuve and Correa. Sure, they might all get hot at the same time, but the odds of that happening against elite pitching aren't that high.

One would think that...but their rumored interest in Mike Napoli would say otherwise. And if Gurriell is a better 3B then Todd can easily play 1st for them as well. I have no idea if the Napoli rumor is true or not, but if it is I'd have to imagine getting Frazier on a reasonable 1 year deal would be pretty enticing instead.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 07:05 PM)
One would think that...but their rumored interest in Mike Napoli would say otherwise. And if Gurriell is a better 3B then Todd can easily play 1st for them as well. I have no idea if the Napoli rumor is true or not, but if it is I'd have to imagine getting Frazier on a reasonable 1 year deal would be pretty enticing instead.

Fraizer would mash hardcore at Hustons home park.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
No offense guys, but the Astros aren't giving Springer & Bregman for Sale. If you honestly think that's possible, you're in for a world of dissapointment.

You certainly cannot fault them if this is the ask though.

Personally, and I raised this in another thread, with Bregman, it depends on what the Sox want to do with Anderson. It makes little sense for them to trade for him only to put him at 3b.

Can Anderson play 2b? And what does that do to his value?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)

Personally, and I raised this in another thread, with Bregman, it depends on what the Sox want to do with Anderson. It makes little sense for them to trade for him only to put him at 3b.

Why does Tim have to move? He showed some phenomenal tools at SS and better than expected defense at the position. Bregman has already proven his versatility at SS, 3B, and LF.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 07:17 PM)
Why does Tim have to move? He showed some phenomenal tools at SS and better than expected defense at the position. Bregman has already proven his versatility at SS, 3B, and LF.

Then it makes no sense to pay a premium for a ss prospect, only to put him in f***ing left field.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
Then it makes no sense to pay a premium for a ss prospect, only to put him in f***ing left field.

I'm willing to bet Bregman would also be able to adjust to 2B, another premium position, given his versatility. The only other premium position centerpiece we may be able to get would be Benintendi... a natural CF who played LF in Boston this year. We need elite bats, regardless of position.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)

Bregman may provide the most overall value at SS, but his bat profiles anywhere in the infield except 1B and I think he could be a plus defender at 3B or 2B. In other words, he shouls be incredibly valuable no matter where you play him. Honestly, I'd be absolutely ecstatic having a Anderson-Bregman middle infield combo for the next six years.

Yeah, if you can get huge offensive production at 3B, 2B, C or CF, you're still much better off. SS as well, obviously.

Looking at some of the AL DH numbers this last season, you can almost say that about a hitting-only position as well, crazily enough.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
Bregman may provide the most overall value at SS, but his bat profiles anywhere in the infield except 1B and I think he could be a plus defender at 3B or 2B. In other words, he shouls be incredibly valuable no matter where you play him. Honestly, I'd be absolutely ecstatic having a Anderson-Bregman middle infield combo for the next six years.

Sure, if he can play up the middle, great. But I just don't want to pay for his bat at ss only to then slot him at a non-premium defensive position.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:41 PM)
Sure, if he can play up the middle, great. But I just don't want to pay for his bat at ss only to then slot him at a non-premium defensive position.

Between 80 games in AA and AAA in 2016 Bregman slashed .306/.406/.580 with 20 HR. That doesn't just profile at SS. That profiles anywhere.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 07:47 PM)
Between 80 games in AA and AAA in 2016 Bregman slashed .306/.406/.580 with 20 HR. That doesn't just profile at SS. That profiles anywhere.

Yeah, that is not being disputed.

What excites you more, your SS doing that or your LF?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
Yeah, that is not being disputed.

What excites you more, your SS doing that or your LF?

You're acting like we'd be paying a premium getting Bregman in a Sale deal because he was drafted as SS, when in reality Houston is paying the premium for Sale having to include Bregman. We'd be getting Bregman plus at least 4 other players. Not just Bregman.

Why does he have to be a LF or SS for you? He played mostly 3B in the majors. Frazier will likely get moved if we blow this up. Why can't Bregman play 3B or 2B? Or better yet SS, 3B, 2B, AND LF? See: Kris Bryant, your versatile 2016 NL MVP. Versatility is extremely valuable.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
You're acting like we'd be paying a premium getting Bregman in a Sale deal because he was drafted as SS, when in reality Houston is paying the premium for Sale having to include Bregman. We'd be getting Bregman plus at least 4 other players. Not just Bregman.

Why does he have to be a LF or SS for you? He played mostly 3B in the majors. Frazier will likely get moved if we blow this up. Why can't Bregman play 3B or 2B? Or better yet SS, 3B, 2B, AND LF? See: Kris Bryant, your versatile 2016 NL MVP. Versatility is extremely valuable.

Because Houston is going to sell him as an elite bat at a middle of the field position, irregardless of whether he played that position for them or not. You're damn right you are going to pay a premium for that.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)

Play him at 3B...a long time problem for the Sox.

And he's still a prospect...an elite prospect, but Sale should command an elite (top 10) prospect +

Saladino and Sanchez can cover 2B...or at least we'll have time to find out.

Edited by GreenSox

Guy on the Astros fan board that was posted early suggested this deal....

Bregman, Devenski, Martes and Kyle Tucker for Sale.

Obviously Bregman is awesome. Was ranked anywhere from #22-#49 going in to 2016 before he had an incredible year. Martes is the 19th ranked prospect in baseball, Tucker is #46.

And Devenski, whose best pro season came in 2016 in his rookie year when he had a 2.16 ERA, 8.6 K/9, 1.7 BB/9, and a WHIP of only 0.91, was actually drafted by the White Sox in the 25th round before he was TRADED to the Astros for....Brett Myers! Wheeeeeee.

Anyway, I would take this deal for sure. Obviously Bregman is a stud, Martes is a top 20 prospect, Tucker is top 50, and Devenski could have figured it all out in the majors. Done deal.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 11:55 PM)
Guy on the Astros fan board that was posted early suggested this deal....

Bregman, Devenski, Martes and Kyle Tucker for Sale.

Obviously Bregman is awesome. Was ranked anywhere from #22-#49 going in to 2016 before he had an incredible year. Martes is the 19th ranked prospect in baseball, Tucker is #46.

And Devenski, whose best pro season came in 2016 in his rookie year when he had a 2.16 ERA, 8.6 K/9, 1.7 BB/9, and a WHIP of only 0.91, was actually drafted by the White Sox in the 25th round before he was TRADED to the Astros for....Brett Myers! Wheeeeeee.

Anyway, I would take this deal for sure. Obviously Bregman is a stud, Martes is a top 20 prospect, Tucker is top 50, and Devenski could have figured it all out in the majors. Done deal.

Why do we want Devenski and why would they want to give him up? Just don't see the benefit of a rebuilding team acquiring a reliever as a key piece. Give me Reed instead and I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

Edited by Chicago White Sox