Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

The problem is really with all elected officials. All of them suck.

Its real simple. Get rid of long gun automatic weapons for everyone but law enforcement and the military. No you cant buy body armor. No you cant buy armor piercing rounds. No you can order nuclear weapons. None of this is for hunting so stop saying that it will stop it. The US military has 5th generation jets, missiles, tanks, special forces, and other things you don't have. So your well regulated militia would last 15 minutes in a skirmish. So stop with the I am protecting my country from tyrants. You watched too much Zero Dark Thirty and played too much COD. You want home defense, then invest in a shotgun. You are not taking the long gun and going room to room to get the boogeyman. You dont need a long gun with 4000 rounds to fend off the bad guy at your house. Require background checks and training for gun owners. Anyone with mental health, criminal behavior not qualified and you are on a list.

Then on the other side. Truth in sentencing for all gun related crimes. No early release. You use a gun in a crime it should be a multiplier. I dont want to see anymore, X person is a 5 time felon yet is out doing mayhem. I dont want to hear about how Jimmy is 19 years old and he made a mistake bringing an AK-47 to the bank and had a sad life when he threatened to shoot everyone in the face. So he just needs counseling.

If you post Youtube\snapchat\anything internet related with videos or posts threatening to kill the world. Then you get put on a list and you have zero ability to buy anything weapons related. I dont care if it was a joke, or you were in your angst years. Just like a sex offenders list. You are on it for life. No weapons for you.

Law Enforcement. Its 2018. Get a f***ing database of this s*** together and get everyone in law enforcement access to it. Feds and locals share info. Military share info. If Jimmy was discharged from the Army because he liked guns too much, and killed the neighbors dog with one and ate it. Please dont keep that a secret.

Both sides have blood on their hands.

God bless this girl

Lyliah Skinner, a 16-year-old student who survived the Florida school shooting, said she wants to see lawmakers take action — and to stop offering thoughts and prayers.

"As our legislators and leaders, they shouldn't be offering prayers and words, because those mean nothing. We need action, because action is going to change what's happening," she said.

She said the US needs stricter gun laws and questioned teenagers' access to guns

“I would ask them if kids aren't even allowed to have their first, if they're not able to purchase their first drink with alcohol, then how are we allowed to buy guns at the age of 18 on 19?"

DWGW78CXkAAcwQM.jpg

We should probably pay more attention to right wing Nazi terrorist cells in this country, but the last time DHS published a big report on that, one political party threw a fit and got DHS to back off monitoring these groups.

Edited by StrangeSox

A couple of slightly long, but still good articles explaining why this is only a problem in this country and what other countries are doing compared to us.

America’s unique gun violence problem, explained in 17 maps and charts

How gun control works in America, compared with 4 other rich countries

TL/DR = We have more guns per captia than any other country and the least restrictive/effective gun laws.

Edited by Iwritecode

I wish I were born 100 years later, or however long it takes for this to get sorted out.

It really sucks growing up in this world, in this country, especially as a racial minority. I wasn't surprised in the least to learn that this guy was a member white supremacist group. Sometimes, something like this happens, or Vegas, etc. and I think that this could be the one that finally makes a change. But, if nothing happened after Sandy Hook, I think we're stuck like this until something even bigger than Vegas happens. At this rate, though, that might even be by the end of the year.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:10 AM)
Trump tweets this morning to blame the victims and the community for not reporting the shooter. Turns out he had been reported to Trump's FBI back in September.

Trumps tweets today vs.

One of Trump’s first actions in the White House was to quash former President Barack Obama’s recommendation for a new regulation that would prevent people with severe mental health illnesses from purchasing guns.

Might not have stopped today, but might have. Pick a lane Orange one.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 01:50 PM)
I wish I were born 100 years later, or however long it takes for this to get sorted out.

It really sucks growing up in this world, in this country, especially as a racial minority. I wasn't surprised in the least to learn that this guy was a member white supremacist group. Sometimes, something like this happens, or Vegas, etc. and I think that this could be the one that finally makes a change. But, if nothing happened after Sandy Hook, I think we're stuck like this until something even bigger than Vegas happens. At this rate, though, that might even be by the end of the year.

I don't know what that tipping point could be at this point, and pretty scared to really think of just how large it would have to be.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 12:40 PM)
The problem is really with all elected officials. All of them suck.

Its real simple. Get rid of long gun automatic weapons for everyone but law enforcement and the military. No you cant buy body armor. No you cant buy armor piercing rounds. No you can order nuclear weapons. None of this is for hunting so stop saying that it will stop it. The US military has 5th generation jets, missiles, tanks, special forces, and other things you don't have. So your well regulated militia would last 15 minutes in a skirmish. So stop with the I am protecting my country from tyrants. You watched too much Zero Dark Thirty and played too much COD. You want home defense, then invest in a shotgun. You are not taking the long gun and going room to room to get the boogeyman. You dont need a long gun with 4000 rounds to fend off the bad guy at your house. Require background checks and training for gun owners. Anyone with mental health, criminal behavior not qualified and you are on a list.

Then on the other side. Truth in sentencing for all gun related crimes. No early release. You use a gun in a crime it should be a multiplier. I dont want to see anymore, X person is a 5 time felon yet is out doing mayhem. I dont want to hear about how Jimmy is 19 years old and he made a mistake bringing an AK-47 to the bank and had a sad life when he threatened to shoot everyone in the face. So he just needs counseling.

If you post Youtube\snapchat\anything internet related with videos or posts threatening to kill the world. Then you get put on a list and you have zero ability to buy anything weapons related. I dont care if it was a joke, or you were in your angst years. Just like a sex offenders list. You are on it for life. No weapons for you.

Law Enforcement. Its 2018. Get a f***ing database of this s*** together and get everyone in law enforcement access to it. Feds and locals share info. Military share info. If Jimmy was discharged from the Army because he liked guns too much, and killed the neighbors dog with one and ate it. Please dont keep that a secret.

Both sides have blood on their hands.

:notworthy I f***ing heart this post

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 12:00 PM)
It doesn't f***ing matter. Cadet Bone Spurs talks about this shooting, and fails to mention guns. I could only imagine what the loved ones of these poor kids think of this guy now Can't piss off the NRA. You don't even need a license in FL to buy a gun. You don't have to register it. You can have as many as you like. Awesome.

It sounds like it's a state problem not a national one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a semi-automatic rifle. the weapon isn't the problem, it's how a kid with this many issues was allowed to purchase it.

Being a former student and wearing a school ROTC uniform, there was no way any reasonable security would have kept him out of the school.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:04 PM)
It sounds like it's a state problem not a national one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a semi-automatic rifle. the weapon isn't the problem, it's how a kid with this many issues was allowed to purchase it.

Being a former student and wearing a school ROTC uniform, there was no way any reasonable security would have kept him out of the school.

I am pretty sure anyone who does something like this has some mental issues. I have no idea why AR15s are necessary weapons for civilians.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:13 PM)
I am pretty sure anyone who does something like this has some mental issues. I have no idea why AR15s are necessary weapons for civilians.

There is nothing wrong with the semi-automatic version of the AR-15 which is the legal version he had. Just be glad that he liked this weapon (because of it's reputation) and not many other more powerful semi-automatic rifles.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:12 PM)
Many, myself included, don't 100% agree with that.

That's fine but you aren't being realistic. You also don't think that hunting or target practice are useful pat times or that people use these weapons for protection of their livelihoods against coyotes and other predators.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:26 PM)
This is also correct.

Kids are getting hunted in our schools on an almost daily basis, and the AR-15 is one of the most commonly used weapons in these massacres. I'm sorry that may screw up someones "past time" or they may need to use a handgun against a coyote, but that's a problem I would hope our lawmakers are willing to deal with, rather than the human body count continuing to pile up from assault weapons.

Hand guns kill many more people than the AR-15. As I said in another post they are lucky he chose that weapon there are many more powerful semi-automatic weapons than that.

The lawmakers will not do anything against semi-automatic weapons. They should focus more on keeping any legal weapons out of hands of people who shouldn't have them.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:44 PM)
Hand guns kill many more people than the AR-15. As I said in another post they are lucky he chose that weapon there are many more powerful semi-automatic weapons than that.

The lawmakers will not do anything against semi-automatic weapons. They should focus more on keeping any legal weapons out of hands of people who shouldn't have them.

Mass shootings happen more in America than in all other countries combined. The US has 4.4 % of the world population and 42% of the worlds guns. You can say that isn't a problem, but I thin the evidence is showing it is.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:16 PM)
There is nothing wrong with the semi-automatic version of the AR-15 which is the legal version he had. Just be glad that he liked this weapon (because of it's reputation) and not many other more powerful semi-automatic rifles.

Why does any civilian need an AR-15? I’m pro gun ownership, but there is absolutely no reason for assault weapons to be legal. They should not be used for hunting or sport and are beyond unnecessary for self defense unless you’re worried about someone else who has one. I’m sure they’re fun to f*** around with, but there is no practical purpose for them and therefore no justification to allow everyday people to have them, especially not when there are weekly shooting sprees involving them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:52 PM)
Mass shootings happen more in America than in all other countries combined. The US has 4.4 % of the world population and 42% of the worlds guns. You can say that isn't a problem, but I thin the evidence is showing it is.

I never said it wasn't a problem. I said that semi-automatics aren't the problem. There is certainly a problem. However, is it worse than the bombings in England and France? Maybe there are fewer shootings but the nutcases use explosives instead. Not to mention that just by the size of the country we will have more incidences.

I think stricter laws on who can obtain them may help. I'm not sure but they couldn't hurt.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:57 PM)
Why does any civilian need an AR-15? I’m pro gun ownership, but there is absolutely no reason for assault weapons to be legal. They should not be used for hunting or sport and are beyond unnecessary for self defense unless you’re worried about someone else who has one. I’m sure they’re fun to f*** around with, but there is no practical purpose for them and therefore no justification to allow everyday people to have them, especially not when there are weekly shooting sprees involving them.

Semi-automatic AR-15 are excellent sport rifles. Mostly because the round isn't very big. It's not much bigger than a .22. The only adavantage is the light weight. So, I guess you could ban them. But my fear is that someone would just to a bigger round which would cause more damage.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 07:07 PM)
Semi-automatic AR-15 are excellent sport rifles. Mostly because the round isn't very big. It's not much bigger than a .22. The only adavantage is the light weight. So, I guess you could ban them. But my fear is that someone would just to a bigger round which would cause more damage.

It’s not about the size of the round, it’s the fact that someone with an AR-15 can fire off an insane number of rounds in a short period of time (with a relatively high level of precision to boot), especially when combined with high capacity magazines. There are plenty of other rifles that could be used for sport shooting that aren’t nearly as deadly as an AR-15. Again, I respect your right for gun ownership, but I can’t justify assault weapons being legal when they’re literally used in mass shootings on what seems like a weekly basis. Time for them to go and see if things get better.