Jose Abreu

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
Might be a good off season topic, most reviled former Sox.

I'd have to put La Roche up there near the top.

Darin Erstad. I still have the PM I sent Kalapse after he was signed, basically saying "this is going to be a f***ing disaster."

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Lots of Stanton rumors in Boston. Some combination of Bradley, Bogaerts, Groome, and others for Stanton and either Ozuna or Yelich. Jeter told to get payroll down.

I wonder if Bogaerts is on his last leg in Boston. They seem confused with what to do with him in their every day lineup. I wonder what it would take to grab him..

Edited by cjgalloway

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
Darin Erstad. I still have the PM I sent Kalapse after he was signed, basically saying "this is going to be a f***ing disaster."

He put up a positive WAR in 80 games (not a massive positive) and had a $750K salary. How is that a disaster? The disaster was probably more of the fact that we thought a $750K FA signing would fill the void Ozzie asked Erstad to fill.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
He put up a positive WAR in 80 games (not a massive positive) and had a $750K salary. How is that a disaster? The disaster was probably more of the fact that we thought a $750K FA signing would fill the void Ozzie asked Erstad to fill.

Ozzie was the disaster, not Erstad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
Ozzie was the disaster, not Erstad.

Mostly this. If they had used Erstad appropriately and he had been a 4th OF, backup 1B, and pinch hitter, I wouldn't have cared, but I knew he was going to be the starter over Brian Anderson, who was clearly a superior talent, even when the Sox got to a point when they were out of contention. Instead, he was used as a regular and it was as bad as I thought it would be.

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-giants-...-stanton-trade/

The Giants, Cardinals and Phillies were the most interested pursuers this summer – though then Marlins ownership made clear at the time there was no intention to trade Stanton while the sale of the franchise was proceeding. Of the three, the deep suspicion is that the Giants would suit Stanton most.

Would not mind Stanton staying in the NL.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
Mostly this. If they had used Erstad appropriately and he had been a 4th OF, backup 1B, and pinch hitter, I wouldn't have cared, but I knew he was going to be the starter over Brian Anderson, who was clearly a superior talent, even when the Sox got to a point when they were out of contention. Instead, he was used as a regular and it was as bad as I thought it would be.

In that one partial year with White Sox, Erstad was one of the worst centerfielders I have ever seen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
Insane. Give me the Boston players every single time.

Not really, if Jeter really is under a mandate to get payroll down to $90ishMM. DD certainly has the balls to pull off a trade like that. Stanton and Ozuna?? I'll take those two.

It came from one of the Boston papers, by the way.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
Not really, if Jeter really is under a mandate to get payroll down to $90ishMM. DD certainly has the balls to pull off a trade like that. Stanton and Ozuna?? I'll take those two.

Absolutely, could you imagine an OF or Stanton, Betts, and Ozuna? That's disgusting.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)

Have to agree there. Ozuna just posted a monster season and has two years of control left.

Adding him or Yelich to the deal really changes the complexity.

The question is, does Stanton's contract, and/or the Marlins' desire to get back multiple young players/prospects, necessitate the inclusion of one of Ozuna or Yelich? If the Marlins desire a prospect package, it does make sense to potentially consider that, but if you are getting back pieces like Bradley Jr and Boegarts, I am not sure what sense this makes.

One would think they would be better off moving Stanton for some prospects and cash, and then moving Yelich and Ozuna for more prospects to further augment their farm system and realign their window.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)

Giving up THAT kind of talent, and taking on THAT contract? What at terrible waste of resources, all for a guy who isn't usually healthy as the center piece? Yuck.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
Have to agree there. Ozuna just posted a monster season and has two years of control left.

Adding him or Yelich to the deal really changes the complexity.

The question is, does Stanton's contract, and/or the Marlins' desire to get back multiple young players/prospects, necessitate the inclusion of one of Ozuna or Yelich? If the Marlins desire a prospect package, it does make sense to potentially consider that, but if you are getting back pieces like Bradley Jr and Boegarts, I am not sure what sense this makes.

One would think they would be better off moving Stanton for some prospects and cash, and then moving Yelich and Ozuna for more prospects to further augment their farm system and realign their window.

Yeah they can really cash in moving their whole OF. Also could mean more Ichiro at bats!

Should also see Gordon, Chen, Volquez, Realmuto, Prado shopped as well this off-season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)
Giving up THAT kind of talent, and taking on THAT contract? What at terrible waste of resources, all for a guy who isn't usually healthy as the center piece? Yuck.

But....we've definitely seen deals exactly like that before. For example - the Blue Jays taking on Tulowitzki while giving up top talent. The Dodgers took on extra bad contracts in order to get Gonzalez. The White Sox gave up top talent to take on half of James Shields's deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)
But....we've definitely seen deals exactly like that before. For example - the Blue Jays taking on Tulowitzki while giving up top talent. The Dodgers took on extra bad contracts in order to get Gonzalez. The White Sox gave up top talent to take on half of James Shields's deal.

The amount of money owed to Stanton dwarfs ALL of those.