Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's leading off because the leadoff guy gets the most PA in a season. 2018 doesn't matter, so why not lead off Moncada and get him the most PA of anyone on the team? 

Right, and leadoff is supposed to be an OBP guy.  Yeah, he strikes out a lot, but his OBP is .80 higher than his BA.  You want a guy who gets on base and you want him to get the most at-bats.  It's fairly obvious why Moncada plays leadoff.  Focus on the future dictates Moncada and Anderson bat near the top to get the most ABs

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

But when is the last time he absolutely clobbered an upper 90's fastball? 

I recall him hammering a triple into the gap in right center off of Hicks' 102 mph fastball less than a month ago. Unless by "clobbered", you are strictly talking home runs.

23 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

What?  If anything, Javy Baez is a better player than Robinson Cano now.

All I'm saying is, if people are going to bellyache about the rebuild, they might want to, you know, do any sort of research into the players we're disucssing.

No, you said go back to the chuck e cheese table.   You should know better by now

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

I recall him hammering a triple into the gap in right center off of Hicks' 102 mph fastball less than a month ago. Unless by "clobbered", you are strictly talking home runs.

Yep, forgot about that one...was listening on the At-Bat app, so it didn’t make the same impression as watching because half the time DJ and Farmer are talking nonsense.

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's leading off because the leadoff guy gets the most PA in a season. 2018 doesn't matter, so why not lead off Moncada and get him the most PA of anyone on the team? 

I understand that is supposedly the reason. But why is Anderson not batting 2nd to get him the most PA as possible?.  Also, last year Moncada  had more success batting 2nd (.265) over the other spots in the order.  Why not drop Moncada to 2nd and see if he shows any improvement?  

Edited by SCCWS

4 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

Right, and leadoff is supposed to be an OBP guy.  Yeah, he strikes out a lot, but his OBP is .80 higher than his BA.  You want a guy who gets on base and you want him to get the most at-bats.  It's fairly obvious why Moncada plays leadoff.  Focus on the future dictates Moncada and Anderson bat near the top to get the most ABs

If that is the case, then why has Anderson only batted 26% in the 1st or 2nd spot?  It seems like they want more ABs for Moncada but not for Anderson.  I think Anderson should bat 1st , Moncada 2nd and see if Moncada shows some improvement. Maybe it would lose him 1 AB a week. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

If that is the case, then why has Anderson only batted 26% in the 1st or 2nd spot?  It seems like they want more ABs for Moncada but not for Anderson.  I think Anderson should bat 1st , Moncada 2nd and see if Moncada shows some improvement. Maybe it would lose him 1 AB a week. 

I don't trust Rick Renteria's batting order to make any sense.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Currently, this is a dumb question. I hope it remains so for the foreseeable future. 

Davidson 1.0 War 770 OPS

Moncada 1.5 war   695 OPS

I realize Moncada has much more potential because of his athleticism.. but yeah.. it's not as dumb a question as it should be.

• Thanks 1

Just now, harkness99 said:

Davidson 1.0 War 770 OPS

Moncada 1.5 war   695 OPS

I realize Moncada has much more potential because of his athleticism.. but yeah.. it's not as dumb a question as it should be.

It is currently a dumb question because Davidson is 27 and Moncada is 23. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is currently a dumb question because Davidson is 27 and Moncada is 23. 

627 career AB's for Moncada and 780 for Davidson...

Yeah I hope it's a maturity thing.

I don't really believe Davidson is better than Moncada.. but they both look so terrible in similar ways.

I'm not giving up on Moncada.. but there seems to be zero growth from last year to this point.

That's very troubling.

8 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I don't really believe Davidson is better than Moncada.. but they both look so terrible in similar ways.

I'm not giving up on Moncada.. but there seems to be zero growth from last year to this point.

That's very troubling.

I don't disagree and I've been vocal about it recently. The post ASB slump which he has been in for 3 weeks and counting is concerning. I was really hoping he'd pick up where he left off before the ASB, where he was en fuego, but he's gone south and it has no signs of changing any time soon. I hope he has something up his sleeve this offseason because that hit tool is really becoming a problem. When he makes contact it is loud but he doesn't make contact anymore. I'm also going to take his September with a huge grain of salt because it's September. Hopefully he hits a walk off here. Moncada could probably use a week off to clear his mind and work on some stuff with Steverson. Another 0-4 game with 3 K and that is all too common since the ASB. Before the ASB, there were enough hot streaks to go along with the slumps you could think that he was making adjustments. Now it is just one huge slump. 3 weeks and counting. It seems like 4-5 nights per week lately he's 0-4 with 3K. This is incredibly concerning. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

That's very troubling.

He was pretty damn good from Jul 1st to Aug 1st.  Then he went back to K’ing like this past week.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Steverson will probably be fired to cover for the backslides of Anderson and Moncada offensively...and Davidson/Yolmer to a lesser extent.

Renteria can go with him. I didn't think it could get much worse than Ventura, but Here's Ricky! If there was one redeeming quality about Ventura it was that he knew when to stick up for his players. RR is both bad at managing a pitching staff and a wimp when it comes to sticking up for his players. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, jasonxctf said:

Yoan has to have zero confidence right now. Can we have him sit for 2 straight games and get his head right??? 

And then return him to the bottom of the lineup for the remainder of the season.  No pressure up top, just let him continue to get reps but batting 8th or 9th.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SO_season.shtml

Now we’re going to have to relive the Adam Dunn years, haha.  Luckily for Kenny Williams, Mark Reynolds has the modern-day MLB strikeout record, 223 to 222.

Only five players over 2000 in history.  Reynolds (3), Dunn, Chris Davis (2), C.Carter (2, former Sox farmhand), Aaron Judge and Drew Stubbs.

Kris Bryant is 11th at 199 (2015).  Tim Anderson had 162 last year, good for 154th All-Time.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/yoan-moncada-has-lot-strikeouts-and-white-sox-think-baseballs-umpires-might-be-partially

Currently at 160 k’s in 105 games (tied for 171st)...or 1.53 per game, so he’s as of today on pace to break the record unless they sit him or place him at the bottom of the order.  At any rate, that would put him on pace to break the record with 7-8 games left to spare (he’s also missed 9 games, I think one for discipline and the rest for DL stint, or his hamstring bothering him a bit when he returned, can’t remember.)

Staying on exact course, he will compile 235.  I don’t think Hahn’s going to allow that to happen...or can afford to, really.

Adam Dunn was limited to 177 in that mythic 2011 debut campaign with the Sox, btw.  His worst year was actually the team’s best in recent years, 2012.

Edited by caulfield12