Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SO_season.shtml

Now we’re going to have to relive the Adam Dunn years, haha.  Luckily for Kenny Williams, Mark Reynolds has the modern-day MLB strikeout record, 223 to 222.

Only five players over 2000 in history.  Reynolds (3), Dunn, Chris Davis (2), C.Carter (2, former Sox farmhand), Aaron Judge and Drew Stubbs.

Kris Bryant is 11th at 199 (2015).  Tim Anderson had 162 last year, good for 154th All-Time.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/yoan-moncada-has-lot-strikeouts-and-white-sox-think-baseballs-umpires-might-be-partially

Currently at 160 k’s in 105 games (tied for 171st)...or 1.53 per game, so he’s as of today on pace to break the record unless they sit him or place him at the bottom of the order.  At any rate, that would put him on pace to break the record with 7-8 games left to spare (he’s also missed 9 games, I think one for discipline and the rest for DL stint, or his hamstring bothering him a bit when he returned, can’t remember.)

Staying on exact course, he will compile 235.  I don’t think Hahn’s going to allow that to happen...or can afford to, really.

Adam Dunn was limited to 177 in that mythic 2011 debut campaign with the Sox, btw.  His worst year was actually the team’s best in recent years, 2012.

? Are you saying his worst year was 2012? Dunn had his best season in a Sox uniform that year.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

He is broken. He needs fixing. Send him to Charlotte or Birmingham and let him get his swing (and head) back together. 

He’s got one option left, they won’t be wasting it this year.

If Moncada shows no progress by the end of the year, they pretty much need to fire Steverson & Sparks and bring new voices into the organization.  Yoan is too important to the rebuild to give these guys the benefit of the doubt unfortunately.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Now we’re going to have to relive the Adam Dunn years, haha.  Luckily for Kenny Williams, Mark Reynolds has the modern-day MLB strikeout record, 223 to 222.

Only five players over 2000 in history.  Reynolds (3), Dunn, Chris Davis (2), C.Carter (2, former Sox farmhand), Aaron Judge and Drew Stubbs.

Kris Bryant is 11th at 199 (2015).  Tim Anderson had 162 last year, good for 154th All-Time.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/yoan-moncada-has-lot-strikeouts-and-white-sox-think-baseballs-umpires-might-be-partially

Currently at 160 k’s in 105 games (tied for 171st)...or 1.53 per game, so he’s as of today on pace to break the record unless they sit him or place him at the bottom of the order.  At any rate, that would put him on pace to break the record with 7-8 games left to spare (he’s also missed 9 games, I think one for discipline and the rest for DL stint, or his hamstring bothering him a bit when he returned, can’t remember.)

Staying on exact course, he will compile 235.  I don’t think Hahn’s going to allow that to happen...or can afford to, really.

Adam Dunn was limited to 177 in that mythic 2011 debut campaign with the Sox, btw.  His worst year was actually the team’s best in recent years, 2012.

Severino tonight. Bieber, Bauer, and Carrasco over the weekend. You are looking at another 10ks or so by the end of Sunday.

It is going to be pretty damn ironic if the Sox are forced to hide this kid in September during a developmental year.

21 minutes ago, Flash said:

He is broken. He needs fixing. Send him to Charlotte or Birmingham and let him get his swing (and head) back together. 

He just needs to be more protective with 2 strikes.  He's fine.  He's better off here than in Charlotte.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Luckily I think Gallo still has a higher SO% since he has played less games. But it is turning into a 2 horse race for the record book. 

21 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Severino tonight. Bieber, Bauer, and Carrasco over the weekend. You are looking at another 10ks or so by the end of Sunday.

It is going to be pretty damn ironic if the Sox are forced to hide this kid in September during a developmental year.

They won't hide him. He needs the at bats. I would probably sit him for about 2-3 games though.

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s got one option left, they won’t be wasting it this year.

If Moncada shows no progress by the end of the year, they pretty much need to fire Steverson & Sparks and bring new voices into the organization.  Yoan is too important to the rebuild to give these guys the benefit of the doubt unfortunately.

At risk of igniting a debate, I fail to get why he is so important to the rebuild

19 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

He just needs to be more protective with 2 strikes.  He's fine.  He's better off here than in Charlotte.

Yes. He needs to adjust to the pitching. This is usually what separates the successful players. The ability to constantly adjust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

You're seriously wondering why he isn't 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

You're seriously wondering why he isn't important?

He's important to the rebuild of this team plans to contend within the next two or 3 years. If we are talking about a 7 or 8 year rebuild like the one in San Diego then he is just another guy treading water until the real studs arrive in 2025 lol.

Moncada has been brutal this season from the right side, batting only .163, although curiously striking out at a lower rate than from the left. It will be difficult for him to be successful if he is striking out nearly 35% of the time. I have not lost faith though, and we need to be patient with him. 

With an 0 - 2 count, he is batting .059 with a wRC+ of -51. He really needs to learn to fight off pitches better when down in the count to stay alive. He's so selective that pitchers know they need to get a first pitch strike against him, lowering his season batting average to .177 when 0 -1 vs. .241 when 1 - 0. Count management will be really important for him to learn. 

35 minutes ago, Flash said:

At risk of igniting a debate, I fail to get why he is so important to the rebuild

If you can’t understand why the 70 grade, former #1 overall prospect with top 5 tools in all of baseball who was the centerpiece of the Chris Sale trade is so important to the rebuild then there’s more to say here.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Moncada has been brutal this season from the right side, batting only .163, although curiously striking out at a lower rate than from the left. It will be difficult for him to be successful if he is striking out nearly 35% of the time. I have not lost faith though, and we need to be patient with him. 

With an 0 - 2 count, he is batting .059 with a wRC+ of -51. He really needs to learn to fight off pitches better when down in the count to stay alive. He's so selective that pitchers know they need to get a first pitch strike against him, lowering his season batting average to .177 when 0 -1 vs. .241 when 1 - 0. Count management will be really important for him to learn. 

Well, that’s his natural side...he learned hitting LH second to appease his father.

But he hasn’t hit well with better splits from there since 2015 in mostly A ball.

Friend of mine who lives in Boston says the Boston media thinks the Sale trade is one of the great trades in the history of the Boston franchise. They think they received an ace pitcher for a utility player. (Moncada)  This trade is looking really bad for the White Sox now.  I don't think anybody can expect Kopech to be as good as Sale. Moncada is the key to the trade. If Moncada doesn't do well the trade has to be considered a failure.

12 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Informative post. Good god, those numbers with an 0-2 count are vomit inducing. The only place for them to go is up.

My concern is that the Sox lack anyone on the coaching and developmental side who can help this kid improve his count management. He is going to have figure out a lot of stuff on his own. Let's hope he is up to the task. 

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

Friend of mine who lives in Boston says the Boston media thinks the Sale trade is one of the great trades in the history of the Boston franchise. They think they received an ace pitcher for a utility player. (Moncada)  This trade is looking really bad for the White Sox now.  I don't think anybody can expect Kopech to be as good as Sale. Moncada is the key to the trade. If Moncada doesn't do well the trade has to be considered a failure.

Looking really bad?  We don’t know what Moncada is yet, but Kopech looks like a future ace & Basabe has made massive leaps this year.  If we hit on two of three it’s a trade well worth it given where we were at the time.

• Like 1