Reynaldo Lopez

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That quote is unreal.  He's in his own god damn world.  So you thought he had one more in him (which in itself is inexplicable given we all have eyes and could see he had nothing but smoke and mirrors all night) AND you failed to have anybody warming up?

I'm sorry but that's not good enough for a MLB manager.  And it's not the 1st time it's happened.

I wonder about the clubhouse atmosphere.

On the one hand, you have players that are doing their best to win every game.  On the other, you have a  manager that, by his nonsensical decisions,  is playing the tanking game.

46 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

I wonder about the clubhouse atmosphere.

On the one hand, you have players that are doing their best to win every game.  On the other, you have a  manager that, by his nonsensical decisions,  is playing the tanking game.

Yea he certainly seemed to be implying that there's more at stake than just winning that night.  Just an odd quote.  I think it was summed up by the guy that said it was a long winded explanation to distract.

Ricky really screwed Lopez yesterday.  He should have come out after the first 2 ropes in the 6th.  Then certainly after he got the DP.  There was no legitimate reason to leave him in that game.  He was over 100 pitches, his stuff was fading, his command was faltering.  That was terrible managing.  Ricky cost Reynaldo a couple runs.  He should have had someone up to start the inning.  Then after the double.  Just terrible.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Ricky really screwed Lopez yesterday.  He should have come out after the first 2 ropes in the 6th.  Then certainly after he got the DP.  There was no legitimate reason to leave him in that game.  He was over 100 pitches, his stuff was fading, his command was faltering.  That was terrible managing.  Ricky cost Reynaldo a couple runs.  He should have had someone up to start the inning.  Then after the double.  Just terrible.  

And what was Cooper and the bench coach doing while this was going on?  The whole coaching staff is somewhat suspect.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:48 PM, gusguyman said:

How much of ReyLo's good starts were him though? His good starts have ONLY come against one of the 5 worst offenses in the league, teams that will let him get away with mistake after mistake. 

Those days Rey Lo passed the eye test and was crushing it. He's just got development to go. Development takes time and I have confidence he will be a good pitcher in this league. Great, I can't say, but I think he's going to have quite a few good years in this league.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Those days Rey Lo passed the eye test and was crushing it. He's just got development to go. Development takes time and I have confidence he will be a good pitcher in this league. Great, I can't say, but I think he's going to have quite a few good years in this league.  

He already has 1 pretty good season under his belt.  I'd take 2018 Reynaldo as my 5 starter.  

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lopez has to improve his fastball command and stay on top of his slider and changeup, and he'll be fine. He can get away with low spin on his fastball because of its velocity, however he should do whatever Giolito did to increase spin. 

Maybe, I honestly don't know if he doesn't get swing and misses because of the low spin, the bad command, the iffy secondary stuff, or a combination of everything. Everything just seems to be working against him at the moment. 

Even when he was getting good results last year, it didn't seem like there was any one thing he was doing particularly well. 

Edited by mqr

Honestly, I would not mind seeing him in the closer role if we move Alex Colome. I think he could be a guy that sees his stuff tick up if only used for one inning and could be better served if he just had to focus on using 2 pitches. 

If the Eaton trade gives us Giolito as a Top of Rotation Guy, Lopez as a closer, and Dunning- Back of the Rotation or Future Trade Piece. That is a hell of a trade for us. 

Edited by kwill

Just now, kwill said:

Honestly, I would not mind seeing him in the closer role if we move Alex Colome. I think he could be a guy that sees his stuff stick up if only used for one inning and could be better if he just had to focus on using 2 pitches. 

Btw, I say this not as a bad thing. If the Eaton trade gives us Giolito as a Top of Rotation Guy, Lopez as a closer, and Dunning- Back of the Rotation or Future Trade Piece. That is a hell of a trade for us. 

Might not be a bad idea.  Give Lopez the rest of this year as a starter and if he can't hack it try him at closer.   His fastball as a closer would certainly play but I'd still have concerns about finding a secondary pitch.  

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Might not be a bad idea.  Give Lopez the rest of this year as a starter and if he can't hack it try him at closer.   His fastball as a closer would certainly play but I'd still have concerns about finding a secondary pitch.  

He has secondary pitches, that isn't the problem. Both his change and slider are good pitches. The issue is that he has zero consistency with any of his pitches. He struggles with fastball command and hangs his changeup and slider a lot. I think if he moved to closer he could focus on just one of them, and probably get it down. 

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He has secondary pitches, that isn't the problem. Both his change and slider are good pitches. The issue is that he has zero consistency with any of his pitches. He struggles with fastball command and hangs his changeup and slider a lot. I think if he moved to closer he could focus on just one of them, and probably get it down. 

they aren't "good pitches" if he hangs them in the zone 80% of the time while burying one out of five.   he has zero command on all three pitches.  he's going to have to find some, regardless of starting or closing.  He's still got some development to do before writing him off but his median case right now looks like mediocre 5th starter / swingman.  Not awful and a useful piece for a contender but not a major contributor.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

they aren't "good pitches" if he hangs them in the zone 80% of the time while burying one out of five.   he has zero command on all three pitches.  he's going to have to find some, regardless of starting or closing.  He's still got some development to do before writing him off but his median case right now looks like mediocre 5th starter / swingman.  Not awful and a useful piece for a contender but not a major contributor.

Semantics, but I get it. I remember getting so much shit for saying that Lopez was meh and Giolito still had TOR potential last year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Semantics, but I get it. I remember getting so much shit for saying that Lopez was meh and Giolito still had TOR potential last year. 

Lopez was living off an incredible strand rate last year.  Once that normalized he was awful.  It's disheartening that he was better than he is now back in 2017.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Lopez was living off an incredible strand rate last year.  Once that normalized he was awful.  It's disheartening that he was better than he is now back in 2017.

Yeah, I'm not writing him off, but I'm also not counting on two miracles happening on one pitching staff. He's looked about as bad as Giolito did last year. 

Edited by mqr