White Sox vs. Yankees Game Thread 8.7.18

Greg Hibbard

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just like with Yoan, you are way, way too high on Giolito's potential

We'll see who is right, let us watch and enjoy over the next few seasons. I do admit I have been higher on Moncada/Giolito than most, and lower on Eloy/Kopech/Lopez than most. Kopech is answering a lot of questions that I have about him. I still believe that Giolito>Lopez because of the quality of the breaking stuff and that Lopez doesn't miss bats despite the high velocity. Sometimes when I watch Giolito's starts, especially over the last month, If other people and I are watching the same starts. In the game that Giolito got dinked to death vs the Angels, he still got 17 swings and misses in 5 innings. That is really good. I think the new straight change will do wonders for his fastball. Kluber doesn't throw 98, he throws in the same range that Giolito does and I think if he feels good next year you might see that 96-97 come back Gio has a good sinker too. (I'm by no means saying that he's as good as Kluber now, but that their stuff is similar) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Geez another Ofer for Moncada. It's getting really old. I maintain that he stlll has baseball breaking potential but I do agree that the evidence is mounting that he's less likely to reach it. I'm not inflexible on my player evaluations when evidence is mounting to the contrary of my intitial opinion. We can agree to disagree about Giolito. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Geez another Ofer for Moncada. It's getting really old. I maintain that he stlll has baseball breaking potential but I do agree that the evidence is mounting that he's less likely to reach it. I'm not inflexible on my player evaluations when evidence is mounting to the contrary of my intitial opinion. We can agree to disagree about Giolito. 

Yoan has obvious holes that he apparently is doing nothing to try and fix. Until that happens, you're going to continue to see way too many strikeouts and a subpar hit tool.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yoan has obvious holes that he apparently is doing nothing to try and fix. Until that happens, you're going to continue to see way too many strikeouts and a subpar hit tool.

I can't disagree. WTF is Steverson doing? Hence my signature. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Where is that “b****ing, moaning, and whining about Moncada” thread when ya need it!

8 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Where is that “b****ing, moaning, and whining about Moncada” thread when ya need it!

I know. You're talking to probably the A#1 Moncada fan on the entire board. During the 1st half of the season, there were cold streaks, followed by hot streaks, and in a wave fashion. He was either really good or really bad. Since the ASB, he's been all bad and it is scary that it has gone this way. If you go read Fangraphs scouting report from midseason 2017 they gave him a 30 PV hit tool and they aren't wrong there. They did give him a 60 FV hit tool. All of his potential hinges on him reaching that 55-60 FV on his hit tool. He'll still be a good player if he gets to 45-50 FV hit tool, but if he gets to 55-60 he'll be special. If the guy doesn't improve his hit tool much he'll be a massive disappointment, and probably wash out completely. The variance of outcomes on him is so high. I'm the biggest fan the guy probably has, but even I can see that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman