Mariners to send Segura to Phillies for Santana/JP Crawford/others?

bmags

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

You people are nuts Mariners easily win this deal. Crawford is a top 25 prospect and Segura is about to get super expensive.

One of the things that is sort of interesting is clearly ownership has given him the green light to take on salary to get better prospect in deals.

If JP Crawford is still a top 25 prospect, that means Moncada is still the best prospect in the game.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

If JP Crawford is still a top 25 prospect, that means Moncada is still the best prospect in the game.  

I remember him being ranked like 15th by BA to start the year. So I put him in the early 20's. After googling it seems Mayo had him at 37th in his last update before his call up. So top 40?

In any case he had 138 PA at the ML level last year. Way too early to write him off. Moncada I love him but he's had way more play. Crawford also plays a premium position if he can hit for a .730-.750 ish OPS he'll be a fine SS. Little different inregards to 2B.

Not a huge fan of Crawford. Even before his call up his high minors numbers tailed off. In the low minors he walked a ton but never had much power and it wasn't good contact either (tons of pop ups). His power has improved a bit but still is below average. His k rate also increased.

Still a good defender but probably a 45-50 bat with 40 power.

Now if the rumor is true that the second guy is sixto Sanchez that would of course change the outlook a lot, he is one of the best pitching prospects currently.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So far we got:

Phillies Receive: Segura, Nicasio and Pazos

Mariners Receive: Carlos Santana and JP Crawford

Have to imagine there is at least one prospect of note going to the Mariners. 

Amazing trade for Phillies if no prospects involved 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dipoto is a terrible GM, perhaps the worst in baseball.  That trade sucks a fat you know what.  Like how is Crawford all you in return when you take on Santana?

Not to mention that he included James Pazos, who had a nice season last year and is a left handed reliever under cheap team control for several more years.

The guy is an idiot. I want Hahn to try to take advantage of him next.

JP is nice kid who I will always root for.

But this is just a fantastic deal for the Phillies. They had one of the worst defense in recent history last year. Not only do they improve offensively AND defensively at SS, but they get to move Hoskins out of LF back to first and stick and actual OF there. They essentially traded a couple years of Crawford's control to morph him into an 85th percentile outcome version of himself. And they get two useful relievers, as well.

I cannot understand what the Mariners get out of this for even a moment. If it was a short-term money thing, I get it. But it isn't and so I just don't understand. I feel like they could have moved Segura for a better prospect package WITHOUT taking a bad contract back. And without giving up Pazos. Extremely confusing.