Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

23 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand what his "off the field" appeal is. I haven't watched him play much, but why is he the default "marquee" MLB player? Personally, Trout seems more like that player. Could Harper's status quickly change if he continues to have less than stellar years, while other emerging stars overtake him? Vlad Guerrero Jr. and a few other youngsters, look like they could become the new faces of the game. How ironic would it be if Eloy or Moncada became bigger "stars" than Harper? 

That is just Boras bullshit like last year he invented prestige value.

"We know that with players from clubs, everywhere you talk, every meeting you have, they know of the skill level of the player. But when the player has prestige value, it brings tremendous value to his [Wins Above Replacement]," Boras said. "So when we talk about WAR, we put the PV to it. There are minus players that have minus PV. And there are players that have Major League standard prestige value, and players that have a well-above-average or elite prestige value. "

I'm assuming everybody remembers the Arnie Munoz start. We were down 11-1 after the third inning. Somehow came back to make it 15-14 going into the bottom of the 8th, and lost 17-14.

There was another game against the Tigers, more recently, where, if I'm remembering right, someone hit a bases loaded double with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to tie it at 6. The runner from first tried to score, and was ruled out, although video replay showed he was clearly safe (this was before replay review). We gave up a homerun in the tenth and went down without any further struggle.

My point is, if we miss out, this will be like those games. In the third inning, I was over the Munoz start. We sucked that day, and we lost. At the beginning of the ninth inning, I was over that Tigers game. Win some, lose some, whatever. By the time the games were over, they were some of the worst losses I can remember. Similarly, three months ago, Harper was a non-issue because I just assumed he'd end up somewhere else. Now, I won't be satisfied with anything less than victory.

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

That is just Boras bullshit like last year he invented prestige value.

"We know that with players from clubs, everywhere you talk, every meeting you have, they know of the skill level of the player. But when the player has prestige value, it brings tremendous value to his [Wins Above Replacement]," Boras said. "So when we talk about WAR, we put the PV to it. There are minus players that have minus PV. And there are players that have Major League standard prestige value, and players that have a well-above-average or elite prestige value. "

He is right. The player of his stature, will bring more money to the team as opposed to Ivan Nova. Why shouldn't Harper get a piece of it?

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He is right. The player of his stature, will bring more money to the team as opposed to Ivan Nova. Why shouldn't Harper get a piece of it?

Because it's based on results new stars are formed and die out every year. Five years ago Tulo was still a household name now until he was released I forgot he was even still playing

Mauer. Reyes. Pujols. Baustista were all at one time markatable names. Now?

Edited by wrathofhahn

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Because it's based on results new stars are formed and die out every year. Five years ago Tulo was still a household name now until he was released I forgot he was even still playing.

I

Correct. That is the price the team pays for long contracts. Also, I don't think Tulo had quite the same recognition off the field.

Just now, ptatc said:

Correct. That is the price the team pays for long contracts. Also, I don't think Tulo had quite the same recognition off the field.

So their prestige value only lasts as long as they are good? So maybe the focus should be just on paying for good players and letting the "prestige" come naturally.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Also to be clear Boras pulled that shit when talking about Eric freakin Hosmer. Not Trout or some well known MLB superstar basically because locally the KC media overrated him as a glue guy and gamer that means he was worth more nationally as well. Somehow I've missed the Hosmer WS and SB ads since joining the Padres. I'm sure they'll be coming any day now.

Thank you for the clarification on the "Marquee Star Power" value. I'm persuaded that it would be a bad idea to pay too much for such an intangible and fleeting quality. In my mind, he either performs well enough to justify the money, or it's a mistake to award a record breaking contract, for off the field "BS," as one of you put it. By "well enough" I mean the kinds of numbers I stated. He shouldn't merely be the 34TH best player, or even the 15TH best position player, and "earn" the most lucrative contract in the history of the game. If ownership wants to spend the money, that's their business. However, that doesn't make it a wise decision. 

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rosenthal and Dan O’Dowd pushing the Sox land Harper AND Machado storyline...

Meh that was more of a lebron storyline and they were throwing it out there with the way the Sox are sitting financially in a couple years with only 5 mil on the books. It’d be nice tho 

This team is going to have a lot of young players, many of whom we have reasonable expectations of becoming stars, in their own right. If in 2020, Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Kopech, Cease and 1, or 2 more guys really blossom, they could just as easily fill a few holes with established veterans, on short term reasonable contracts. I'd be willing to wait, as a fan, but that's just me. I understand that many would prefer to just spend money and chase the "glitter" of a couple of marquee players. To each his own. It is an interesting debate.

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

This team is going to have a lot of young players, many of whom we have reasonable expectations of becoming stars, in their own right. If in 2020, Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Kopech, Cease and 1, or 2 more guys really blossom, they could just as easily fill a few holes with established veterans, on short term reasonable contracts. I'd be willing to wait, as a fan, but that's just me.

I'm not. The White Sox have been awful for so long. I'm tired of it. Now is their chance to take steps to change that. 

8 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Can you elaborate on that?

They just said it’s a possibility, Sox can afford it, minimal payroll going forward, Reinsdorf getting old, Eloy coming up, need a 3B and RF....the fit is there, and boy would it be entertaining.

Rosenthal certainly didn’t rule it out and said it would make sense and it’s feasible. 

They definitely weren’t breaking that they’re getting close to signing either. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

They just said it’s a possibility, Sox can afford it, minimal payroll going forward, Reinsdorf getting old, Eloy coming up, need a 3B and RF....the fit is there, and boy would it be entertaining.

Rosenthal certainly didn’t rule it out and said it would make sense and it’s feasible. 

They definitely weren’t breaking that they’re getting close to signing either. 

Also he mentioned that he would be absolutely SHOCKED if that ends up happening, talked how the players are friends but the agents can’t stand each other 

• bmags locked this topic