Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

7 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

Screenshot_20181216-154451_Twitter.jpg

But yes, we're meeting with him tomorrow. Not sure how much information is going to come from it though given his other meetings this week. However they've already offered a contract, and I bet they offer a pretty enticing one tomorrow. 

It would appear that Machado and his agent are simply using this positional preference as a negotiating ploy:

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/manny-machado-move-to-third-base-right-contract/476698

This is just more of the same. When he was insisting that he could play SS, it was likely intended to increase his value. Now, that interested teams are expressing the desire to have him play 3RD, he's suggesting that he would be willing to do that, for a few million dollars more. Geez, this stuff gets old.

I wonder if using such a negotiating tactic is really wise. One might think that he would build more political capital and generate more interest if he simply said; "I'm confident that I can contribute anywhere my new team needs me," or: "I can play 3RD, SS or 2ND, whatever would help my new team, the most". A team, in need of a third baseman, might react to that posture, more favorably.

He is clearly a better defensive third baseman, than he is a SS. So, what is he saying? Is his stance that he will only provide the most potential value to his new team, if they pay him extra? What's next, "Hey, and I might even consider hustling more, if you pay me extra". How about; "Hey punk, here's $350 million, now shut up and focus on trying to justify it". Does anyone else find any of this just a little "off putting"? I would guess that more than a few former players, from previous eras, especially pre the free agent era, are shaking their heads, in disbelief and disgust.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

I want to recognize the exemplary behavior of Abreu. It would be very surprising and out of character, if we ever heard this kind of BS from him. It's just one of the things that I find so endearing about Jose.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I want to recognize the exemplary behavior of Abreu. It would be very surprising and out of character, if we ever heard this kind of BS from him. It's just one of the things that I find so endearing about Jose.

Aren't we literally talking in the other thread about how Jose Abreu doesn't like being put at DH?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It would appear that Machado and his agent are simply using this positional preference as a negotiating ploy:

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/manny-machado-move-to-third-base-right-contract/476698

This is just more of the same. When he was insisting that he could play SS, it was likely intended to increase his value. Now, that interested teams are expressing the desire to have him play 3RD, he's suggesting that he would be willing to do that, for a few million dollars more. Geez, this stuff gets old.

I wonder if using such a negotiating tactic is really wise. One might think that he would build more political capital and generate more interest if he simply said; "I'm confident that I can contribute anywhere my new team needs me," or: "I can play 3RD, SS or 2ND, whatever would help my new team, the most". A team, in need of a third baseman, might react to that posture, more favorably.

He is clearly a better defensive third baseman, than he is a SS. So, what is he saying? Is his stance that he will only provide the most potential value to his new team, if they pay him extra? What's next, "Hey, and I might even consider hustling more, if you pay me extra". How about; "Hey punk, here's $350 million, now shut up and focus on trying to justify it". Does anyone else find any of this just a little "off putting"? I would guess that more than a few former players, from previous eras, especially pre the free agent era, are shaking their heads, in disbelief and disgust.

That's an incredible point. Represents a little bit of a selfish teammate. Hopefully he's just saying this because he's a free agent, but you never know. I do think it's a little off putting, but maybe it will change once he's actually on a team

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Aren't we literally talking in the other thread about how Jose Abreu doesn't like being put at DH?

He doesn't complain about playing DH and make a big fuss about it though. Hahn talked to him and basically said he's happy to play wherever the team wants him to

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Except DH isn't really a position. You're playing for what, 10-15 minutes of the entire game? I'd hate it too if I was in the MLB and under 35 years old...

For those who don't understand, or agree with the point I'm making about Machado's demands, let me express it this way: If he is more valuable to the team, at 3RD base, rather than SS, why would he insist that he play short, and demand more money, in order to make a concession by playing his best defensive position? If none of this registers with you, then I guess that we simply have different perspectives. 

When one adds this egocentric crap to his other dubious behavior, especially during the Post Season, you have to at least question his character. Imagine how he might behave, once he has signed his big 10 year contract. At least now, one would think that he would try to be on his best behavior. Once he has inked a deal, who knows what kind of person will emerge?

Perhaps having his best friend and wife's brother around to mentor him, or maybe "keep him in line" is a better choice of words, could be the biggest intangible benefit of signing Alonso. Maybe, we should extend Yonder, in the event Manny comes to the Sox, just to baby sit this guy. LOL.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't get the position part.  Didi will be back, and Andujar is a butcher at 3rd.  Probably a pretty bad idea to have a pisspoor defensive 3B and Manny playing a position where he's less than league average defensively.

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

For those who don't understand, or agree with the point I'm making about Machado's demands, let me express it this way: If he is more valuable to the team, at 3RD base, rather than SS, why would he insist that he play short, and demand more money, in order to make a concession by playing his best defensive position? If none of this registers with you, then I guess that we simply have different perspectives. 

When one adds this egocentric crap to his other dubious behavior, especially during the Post Season, you have to at least question his character. Imagine how he might behave, once he has signed his big 10 year contract. At least now, one would think that he would try to be on his best behavior. Once he has inked a deal, who knows what kind of person will emerge?

Perhaps having his best friend and wife's brother around to mentor him, or maybe "keep him in line" is a better choice of words, could be the biggest intangible benefit of signing Alonso. Maybe, we should extend Yonder, in the event Manny comes to the Sox, just to baby sit this guy. LOL.

You’re really over-thinking this.

4 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I don't get the position part.  Didi will be back, and Andujar is a butcher at 3rd.  Probably a pretty bad idea to have a pisspoor defensive 3B and Manny playing a position where he's less than league average defensively.

Yeah, seems like SS would be temporary, at least in 2019.  Didi is a free agent after next year so theoretically they could open it up for him.

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, why are guys that go 20/20 and play the middle infield even a concern.  I mean, he is already almost 25 and a half.  No room for improvement at all.  

What is that??  Mitch Haniger was in AAA when he was 25?  Shut up!

I would think it is a team concern. The team would need to write Tim a check if he is being switched to third.  He had a decent season. A couple more veterans could take the glare off of Anderson and Moncada. 

• Quin locked this topic