yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

I wonder if the Sox max is 250 mil. Will they go higher if they have to? Maybe they already put out their best offer and stretched with that and are just waiting from here. It’s possible they don’t have another move in this. 

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Which, really just depends on how they are defining “slightly more.” If they really are sitting on 7/175, and Machado is disappointed by that, it doesn’t take a huge leap of faith for him to say “if I take 3/120 right now, I am confident that I’ll out earn the back end of the Sox offer in my next deal.”

if they’re sitting on 8/240, that’s a much tougher pill to swallow. 

It depends how hard the Sox are playing this. The closer you fly to the ground, the less margin for error you have. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any way for anyone, media or otherwise, to know how this is being played. 

The most telling part is that this isn't done yet.  Though it is impossible to know what is real and what is memorex in this process.

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Which, really just depends on how they are defining “slightly more.” If they really are sitting on 7/175, and Machado is disappointed by that, it doesn’t take a huge leap of faith for him to say “if I take 3/120 right now, I am confident that I’ll out earn the back end of the Sox offer in my next deal.”

if they’re sitting on 8/240, that’s a much tougher pill to swallow. 

It depends how hard the Sox are playing this. The closer you fly to the ground, the less margin for error you have. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any way for anyone, media or otherwise, to know how this is being played. 

Yep, having to kind of stitch together the conservative and aggressive narratives on their offer. Hopefully only a few more days of that.

5 minutes ago, shipps said:

I wonder if the Sox max is 250 mil. Will they go higher if they have to? Maybe they already put out their best offer and stretched with that and are just waiting from here. It’s possible they don’t have another move in this. 

If their max is $250 then they weren't really serious about signing him unless he's a bargain which would be disappointing.

If they're doing this right, then they have been biding their time waiting for Machado's side to come back with an offer that is reasonably close to ours. If their side started at $350 and they've dropped down to $340 that's not much movement and no one has offered anything close to that. If the Sox hypothetically had a $250m offer on the table and Machado's side comes back and starts asking about $275, then the White Sox can say "will you sign for something like that today"

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't care a lick if the sox bid against themselves.

You would if they start using that contract as the reason that can't sign the young players to extensions in 6 years.

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

You would if they start using that contract as the reason that can't sign the young players to extensions in 6 years.

The sox have 6 years to find an adequate 3b replacement then that is cheaper, and can trade off manny.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If their max is $250 then they weren't really serious about signing him unless he's a bargain which would be disappointing.

If they're doing this right, then they have been biding their time waiting for Machado's side to come back with an offer that is reasonably close to ours. If their side started at $350 and they've dropped down to $340 that's not much movement and no one has offered anything close to that. If the Sox hypothetically had a $250m offer on the table and Machado's side comes back and starts asking about $275, then the White Sox can say "will you sign for something like that today"

Being the 2nd team to bid a number is a terrible strategy for the White Sox.  Why would Machado pick the 2nd team willing to go to a number, unless they were his first choice all along?

Also, if you believe Rick Hahn, as of Soxfest, the Sox still had no idea what it would actually take to sign Machado, so they have no idea what that "sign today" number actually is.  There is no sticker price posted on the vehicle.

Just now, bmags said:

The sox have 6 years to find an adequate 3b replacement then that is cheaper, and can trade off manny.

Let's hope they can do that. However, if the contract is 5-7 AAV higher than what the needed to spend because they bid against themselves, will they be able to trade that contract.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Let's hope they can do that. However, if the contract is 5-7 AAV higher than what the needed to spend because they bid against themselves, will they be able to trade that contract.

Just remember this is 5-7 AAV higher six years from now. Even if the sox have to give an asset, this is not an untenable position.

What puts them in a terrible position is if the bulk of their rebuild doesn't develop, then the one asset they have (manny) will not net much of a return because he is expensive.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just remember this is 5-7 AAV higher six years from now. Even if the sox have to give an asset, this is not an untenable position.

What puts them in a terrible position is if the bulk of their rebuild doesn't develop, then the one asset they have (manny) will not net much of a return because he is expensive.

This is the key to everything. Having manny does them no good if Eloy and others don't develop into quality MLB players. The Sox aren't going to build a consistent team through FA.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

This is the key to everything. Having manny does them no good if Eloy and others don't develop into quality MLB players. The Sox aren't going to build a consistent team through FA.

Having Manny also gives them a chance to have a top offense down the road hopefully despite a few guys not living up to their billing.  You can start dreaming of having 3 all stars annually if Yoan and Eloy figure it out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This would not surprise me if this were the conclusion at the end of all of this. 

The real question is:

Does Manny prefer the purple grape otter pop flavor... or the blue raspberry option?

5 minutes ago, shipps said:

This would not surprise me if this were the conclusion at the end of all of this. 

Whoops, looks like nobody actually wanted to spend money now our save face offer is the leader in the clubhouse. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

The obligatory Hector post. 

8E2345AD-9BDB-427C-94EE-AFFF1304F954.jpeg

Why Hector... why?

Well I just bought my opening day tickets. Here's hoping they appreciate like 70 dollars in value sometime soon.

This might be a meatheaded question but I wonder how much effort Machado will put forth if he signs with a team for $100M less then he likely anticipated receiving? I think between Harper and Machado we can agree that Machado is the one who might get money-happy and quit giving a fuck. Maybe it happens even earlier if he doesn't get the deal he wanted all along.

Edited by soxfan49

2 hours ago, shipps said:

I dont think the Sox have a maximum. Or at least their maximum is so high it may as well not be relevant with how the market for Machado has materialized.

What the Sox do have I ***think*** (no direct source, no "guy" in the White Sox FO) is a serious intention to spend as little on Machado as possible because whatever excess value they get out of that contract they can turn around and use to outbid on Harper. Harper is the prize. He was the prize for day 1. That doesn't mean they dont desperately want Machado too, but the ability to sign both informs every offer the White Sox make.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1