Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chicago White Sox

Jerry, KW, & Hahn Kill SouthSideSox (sorta)

Recommended Posts

Just saw this post on SouthSideSox.  Not a huge fan of their coverage since Jim left, but it’s a Sox site nonetheless and it’s sad to see our incompetent front office slowly destroy any and all fan interest.  Hopefully they’re able to find the support to keep the site up and running, but that may prove tough given where emotions stand at the moment.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2019/3/6/18241067/south-side-sox-needs-your-help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just saw this post on SouthSideSox.  Not a huge fan of their coverage since Jim left, but it’s a Sox site nonetheless and it’s sad to see our incompetent front office slowly destroy any and all fan interest.  Hopefully they’re able to find the support to keep the site up and running, but that may prove tough given where emotions stand at the moment.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2019/3/6/18241067/south-side-sox-needs-your-help

I don’t wish anyone to lose their jobs (if sbnation even pays anyone there which isn’t guaranteed), but when Jim left there was no reason to go to south side Sox and there are plenty of options for Sox content. Had sbnation tried and found a good site lead it probably would have survived, but as it is it’s not at the same level as other Sox blogs.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t wish anyone to lose their jobs (if sbnation even pays anyone there which isn’t guaranteed), but when Jim left there was no reason to go to south side Sox and there are plenty of options for Sox content. Had sbnation tried and found a good site lead it probably would have survived, but as it is it’s not at the same level as other Sox blogs.

Fully agree, although it does seem like the fan community there is still pretty large.  Gamethreads there typically have a ton more coverage than SoxMachine for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously I read the post after writing that. Very cool of him to prioritize paying contributors and I wish them the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that SouthsideSox is in trouble.  I've  always thought that WSI would go  down the tubes before anybody else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone in the media industry - Vox Media is much more responsible for killing South Side Sox.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quin said:

As someone in the media industry - Vox Media is much more responsible for killing South Side Sox.

I was going to say that the timing didn't add up for me, but I digress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Quin said:

As someone in the media industry - Vox Media is much more responsible for killing South Side Sox.

In fairness to sss, it’s clear their trouble is due to prioritizing paying their writers which is something vox avoids like the plague. Good on the individual editor for trying to do that. 

I support a lot of Sox media and hopefully their community can find ways to keep them on that mission, but vox will just get people to write for free if they fail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting that the site has lost so much funding because of our team headed to another horrific season in terms of wins and losses. Very sad that our team has hit rock bottom. Our division is there for the tanking, but noooooooo we have to have this long period of tanking. Very sad. 

Like I've said zillions of times, the Sox front office should lower prices big time this season. Copy Atlanta and have 2 dollar hot dogs and beers all season or something like that.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 9:14 AM, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

I hope this team sets records this year...

 

...for worst attendance. People need to stay away from this joyless, soul-sucking franchise until there is change. 

 

The worst year in terms of attendance in Reinsdorf’s 38 years of fan-nauseating ownership was 1989, when the team just barely drew over a million fans.  Last year they drew 1.6 million, which was the lowest since they drew 1.3 million in 1999.  

So the fact it’s a year ending in the number “9”, coupled with a very disappointed fan base at the moment after this horrendous offseason, you just may get your wish for even further depressed attendance in 2019.

Edited by Fan O'Faust
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

So the fact it’s a year ending in the number “9”, coupled with a very disappointed fan base at the moment after this horrendous offseason, you just may get your wish for even further depressed attendance in 2019.

 

I eagerly await playing my part in this hopefully successful endeavor. More excited for the attendance totals than their actual baseball season. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The worst year in terms of attendance in Reinsdorf’s 38 years of fan-nauseating ownership was 1989, when the team just barely drew over a million fans.  Last year they drew 1.6 million, which was the lowest since they drew 1.3 million in 1999.  

So the fact it’s a year ending in the number “9”, coupled with a very disappointed fan base at the moment after this horrendous offseason, you just may get your wish for even further depressed attendance in 2019.

Most people I know are cheap and no way they'd pay for tickets to see a team this lousy. Free tickets? Sure, they'd go but still they'd be so cheap they wouldn't want to pay for parking. I personally don't mind spending a buck on good seats, but my concern is comfort. I don't wanna go if there's a good chance of rain or if it's below 45 degrees over above 90 degrees if the team blows chunks.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Side Sox is in trouble for a bunch of reasons. Vox is one. Sox not doing well is another. But the biggest reason is the quality of the site went into the toilet when Jim left. Most of their content is just trash now. Their guy who writes on the minors steals content from FutureSox and others without credit too, just to make things more obnoxious (I can only assume the MLB content does this too, but I don't read it enough to say for sure). They are foundering because there is very little money in team-centric blogs, and to perform in that space you need to be at the top. The current SSS is just not there right now.

I am sure Brett is doing the best he can. He's been recruiting away writers from other sites because they DO actually pay their writers, which I salute by the way. But he's doing that because he knows he's got to find something that will get the site back up to a higher level of quality.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

 

I eagerly await playing my part in this hopefully successful endeavor. More excited for the attendance totals than their actual baseball season. 

Happy to oblige.  There's going to be some really ugly April/May/September numbers this year, especially pre-Jimenez on weekday/weeknight games or bad weather.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

South Side Sox is in trouble for a bunch of reasons. Vox is one. Sox not doing well is another. But the biggest reason is the quality of the site went into the toilet when Jim left. Most of their content is just trash now. Their guy who writes on the minors steals content from FutureSox and others without credit too, just to make things more obnoxious (I can only assume the MLB content does this too, but I don't read it enough to say for sure). They are foundering because there is very little money in team-centric blogs, and to perform in that space you need to be at the top. The current SSS is just not there right now.

I am sure Brett is doing the best he can. He's been recruiting away writers from other sites because they DO actually pay their writers, which I salute by the way. But he's doing that because he knows he's got to find something that will get the site back up to a higher level of quality.

 

That about covers it.   I think SSS is done, whatever remains will just be a corpse, anybody halfway good enough to dig it out doesn't want to work with Vox.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WSI has some of their front page stories and links back to the 2012/13 season.

I went there just to see if my lifetime ban was still in effect.  The funny thing is that you can't even currently register as a new user, because the CAPTCHA/image verification they have is no longer up to date, so there's no way to bypass that.

Lip still posts there, I noticed...the White Sox history ones, mostly.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

WSI has some of their front page stories and links back to the 2012/13 season.

I went there just to see if my lifetime ban was still in effect.  The funny thing is that you can't even currently register as a new user, because the CAPTCHA/image verification they have is no longer up to date, so there's no way to bypass that.

Lip still posts there, I noticed...the White Sox history ones, mostly.

To WSI 

200 (1).gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

WSI has some of their front page stories and links back to the 2012/13 season.

I went there just to see if my lifetime ban was still in effect.  The funny thing is that you can't even currently register as a new user, because the CAPTCHA/image verification they have is no longer up to date, so there's no way to bypass that.

Lip still posts there, I noticed...the White Sox history ones, mostly.

It's Lip and like a dozen other people. Half the moderators don't even post anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

WSI has some of their front page stories and links back to the 2012/13 season.

I went there just to see if my lifetime ban was still in effect.  The funny thing is that you can't even currently register as a new user, because the CAPTCHA/image verification they have is no longer up to date, so there's no way to bypass that.

Lip still posts there, I noticed...the White Sox history ones, mostly.

I think I'm the only person to be banned by WSI    by request. The  semi literate moron that runs WSI emailed me last year and threatened to ban me on a permanent basis. I emailed him back and  told him  go ahead and ban me, which they eventually did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I think I'm the only person to be banned by WSI    by request. The  semi literate moron that runs WSI emailed me last year and threatened to ban me on a permanent basis. I emailed him back and  told him  go ahead and ban me, which they eventually did.

I guarantee you're not the only one.

Edited by Iwritecode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I think I'm the only person to be banned by WSI    by request. The  semi literate moron that runs WSI emailed me last year and threatened to ban me on a permanent basis. I emailed him back and  told him  go ahead and ban me, which they eventually did.

No, I asked for a permanent ban too after they originally gave 10 days...especially after the way they treated my best friend after he joined, arguing with him and imposing the groupthink view on music of all things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Why do people ask to be permanently banned?  Why not just stop going to the site?

Temper tantrum to show the admins who is boss.  Typically happens when someone doesn't get their way, or is about to be suspended.

Spoiler alert: It doesn't work.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×