Abreu unhappy with roster decisions (seems to want Luis Robert up)

Jose Abreu

25 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

We will receive a comp pick if he leaves so any team who trades for him has to do so with that in mind.

I'd like to move him if we could not just because we could get a guy who could help us in the future but he deserves a shot to play for a contending team.

?

To receive a comp pick, the White Sox would have to be willing to give him a qualifying offer, which is a likely a 1 year, $18.5 million or so deal. There's a good chance he would accept that if offered to him as no team signing him would want to lose a draft pick for him, and that's likely substantially more money than he'll get in 2020 under any other contract.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

?

To receive a comp pick, the White Sox would have to be willing to give him a qualifying offer, which is a likely a 1 year, $18.5 million or so deal. There's a good chance he would accept that if offered to him as no team signing him would want to lose a draft pick for him, and that's likely substantially more money than he'll get in 2020 under any other contract.

I don't think he would. He wants a 3-4 yr 30-40 million multi year deal. In any case another reason to move him

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

You just don't take that chance.  Someone can offer him a contract he can't refuse.  If he wants to stay and that's what we want...find a compromise.  Don't leave it to chance.

You guys worry so much about Jerry's pocketbook. It's crazy but that's just my opinion. Even if Abreu gets a lot of cash, they will be under the gun to $ign $ome free agent$ in the future. My take is stuff some money in Jose's pockets.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

We will receive a comp pick if he leaves so any team who trades for him has to do so with that in mind.

I'd like to move him if we could not just because we could get a guy who could help us in the future but he deserves a shot to play for a contending team.

That requires a qualifying offer.  I don't think the Sox are up for that.  At least I hope not.  I would like to extend him in the 12-15 bracket.

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

I don't think he would. He wants a 3-4 yr 30-40 million multi year deal. In any case another reason to move him

And Dallas Keuchel wanted a multi year deal and Craig Kimbrel wanted $100 million and settled for $33 million.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And Dallas Keuchel wanted a multi year deal and Craig Kimbrel wanted $100 million and settled for $33 million.

And that was AFTER the draft, which is midseason. If Jose declines the White Sox qualifying offer, nobody signs him until midseason like Kimbrel and Keuchel when the draft pick penalty is gone. He isn't a good enough player to get signed before then. 

Edited by ron883

Actually, I might be okay with a QO. I don't trust the front office to make a better short term decision before Vaughn comes up. He either declines it and we get a compensation pick, or he picks it up and its a short term contract that we probably wouldn't otherwise get him to agree to. If he's here for one more year at 18-19, in addition to our other payroll commitments, its probably not going to break my heart. It shouldn't keep us from making a run at a premium free agent if we decide we want to, and by that point we have a better handle on how ready Vaughn might be, or if a guy like Collins starts improving. It seems we intend on bringing him back, and I don't see any extension being less than something like 2/28, so it may make more sense to use the QO to make it a one year deal, committing more money to him next year while not tying him up past that.

6 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Actually, I might be okay with a QO. I don't trust the front office to make a better short term decision before Vaughn comes up. He either declines it and we get a compensation pick, or he picks it up and its a short term contract that we probably wouldn't otherwise get him to agree to. If he's here for one more year at 18-19, in addition to our other payroll commitments, its probably not going to break my heart. It shouldn't keep us from making a run at a premium free agent if we decide we want to, and by that point we have a better handle on how ready Vaughn might be, or if a guy like Collins starts improving. It seems we intend on bringing him back, and I don't see any extension being less than something like 2/28, so it may make more sense to use the QO to make it a one year deal, committing more money to him next year while not tying him up past that.

Moose Tacos, a much better player all around at this point in their careers and coming off a 2.4 fWAR (while two years younger as well)  season, got 1 year 10 million.  Jose isn't going to sniff 2 years 28 in his age 33,34 seasons.  He'll be lucky to get offered 2/14 by Chicago or anybody else.  I'd low ball the shit out of him with something like 2/12 and see how much he really wants to be a Sox.

Jose abreu has been below replacement for about a month now.  His ROS ZIPS projection should give everybody a wake up call: 273.323.474 for 107 wRC+ and .6 fWAR.  ZIPS thinks he's toast.  Chances are, so do most GMs.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Moose Tacos, a much better player all around at this point in their careers and coming off a 2.4 fWAR (while two years younger as well)  season, got 1 year 10 million.  Jose isn't going to sniff 2 years 28 in his age 33,34 seasons.  He'll be lucky to get offered 2/14 by Chicago or anybody else.  I'd low ball the shit out of him with something like 2/12 and see how much he really wants to be a Sox.

Jose abreu has been below replacement for about a month now.  His ROS ZIPS projection should give everybody a wake up call: 273.323.474 for 107 wRC+ and .6 fWAR.  ZIPS thinks he's toast.  Chances are, so do most GMs.

I’m heading off to Milwaukee and starting up a Moose Tacos chain....also available in fish, lamb, yak and deer/venison.

Thanks for the inspiration.

In all seriousness, just give the damn at-bats to Reed and Collins.  Then they can fix that position before 2021 if needed.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I’m heading off to Milwaukee and starting up a Moose Tacos chain....also available in fish, lamb, yak and deer/venison.

Thanks for the inspiration.

In all seriousness, just give the damn at-bats to Reed and Collins.  Then they can fix that position before 2021 if needed.

After having my fill of fish tacos and carne asada tacos in SD this spring I can see why Manny went with SD.  Mercy.  

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

But do we?

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

After having my fill of fish tacos and carne asada tacos in SD this spring I can see why Manny went with SD.  Mercy.  

Kansas City had that fish tacos thing going as well since the mid-90’s, one of the local Mexican ristorantes.

Carne asada’s great too.

Unfortunately, yak won’t catch on...not even in Tibet, where it’s one of the primary meat choices.

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I still have no problem putting him down for 2/$25 or so. Even if it's a slight overpay.

What do I care if they overpay Abreu by a couple million? With a payroll this low, it fills a role and it's like they're paying him to be a manager anyway.

@Heads22  I'd hope they evaluate him with clear eyes and encourage Jose and his agent to seek an opinion of his value throughout the league.

@Balta1701 for a guy that is as negative as anybody (including myself) you really don't mind just wasting 5-12 million above his market value on him?  Sox need all the pennies they can scrounge up imo.  I'd rather put that money into scouting, astros style player development, an additional DSL team and on and on and on.  Not to mention he's wasting a roster spot in 2021 if Vaughn "just" meets his 50th percentile outcome and is a 3 WAR 1B then Jose is functionally a backup that plays a shitty 1B.  Not ideal.

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

@Heads22  I'd hope they evaluate him with clear eyes and encourage Jose and his agent to seek an opinion of his value throughout the league.

@Balta1701 for a guy that is as negative as anybody (including myself) you really don't mind just wasting 5-12 million above his market value on him?  Sox need all the pennies they can scrounge up imo.  I'd rather put that money into scouting, astros style player development, an additional DSL team and on and on and on.  Not to mention he's wasting a roster spot in 2021 if Vaughn "just" meets his 50th percentile outcome and is a 3 WAR 1B then Jose is functionally a backup that plays a shitty 1B.  Not ideal.

What I'd rather the White Sox do with every penny does not matter. The White Sox aren't going to put extra money into development just because it would be a smart thing to do. I have to either accept that they will do stupid things in development or stop being a fan of the team, and I've accepted all the other stupid development decisions they did that dumped us into this decade long mess. 

A couple extra million on Abreu doesn't bother me as long as we're not giving up talent from the system to bring the guy in. If the guy just remains decent with RISP then he'll still be better than almost every dollar RH has ever spent. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Moose Tacos, a much better player all around at this point in their careers and coming off a 2.4 fWAR (while two years younger as well)  season, got 1 year 10 million.  Jose isn't going to sniff 2 years 28 in his age 33,34 seasons.  He'll be lucky to get offered 2/14 by Chicago or anybody else.  I'd low ball the shit out of him with something like 2/12 and see how much he really wants to be a Sox.

Nice autocorrect fail. Lmfao

Edited by Jack Parkman