Will you be mad if the Sox do not seriously try to move Abreu?

Trading Abreu  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be legitimately mad at the Sox if they do not try to move Abreu for value? Simple question.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think a desire for Abreu's leadership at the cost of even a decent prospect or a package of "wildcards" like a Jose Rodriguez, Lenyn Sosa, etc., would be a sign of organizational incompetence?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Serious question: are you completely done with Abreu, to the point where you will actually be happier to see his ABs go to some other younger player, even if that other younger player happens to perform horribly?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s because we’ve been ravished with injuries.  Kopech & Rodon would be in the rotation right now and possibly even Dunning.  Our best minor league depth options (Lambert & Flores) both missed time or are out of the season.  The same applies to potential bullpen options like Jones, Hamilton & Burr (and Burdi to a lesser extent).  Very few teams could overcome the hand we’ve been dealt.

We are getting a lot of capable arms back next year for sure. 

20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Then he better be extended.  Ending up empty handed is just nuts.

Poor James...he’s already adopting a vegan diet composed of “nuts only” after his name was changed from Fegan.

Probably the most knowledgeable, “in the know” guy covering the Sox (professionally) right now.

52 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Bidding against 29 other teams is not the way to keep Abreu at a bargain price.

That's assuming the other 29 teams are interested in his services, which they won't be. His numbers aren't exactly lining him up for an enormous pay day either. If they wait until the off season it's not the end of the world IMO.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Lol they're not all going to want him...and Abreu is basically begging to stay here.

I obviously know that the 29 teams don't all want him.  If one or two of those 29 teams want him we now have to out bid the competition if we want to retain his services.  I thought that was self explanatory.

Kind of odd to me that people are so sentimental about Jose. He’s not Frank, PK, Buehrle, etc. He’s been here 6 years and has never played in a playoff game. Plus only 4 years were really good. We’re now going on a sample size of just shy of 1000 AB’s of a guy that is best suited at DH and can’t keep his OPS above .800. Jose is a great story of what he overcame and he seems like 1 hell of a good guy, but sorry....he’s just not a very useful major league baseball player anymore. We should be looking to move on.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Kind of odd to me that people are so sentimental about Jose. He’s not Frank, PK, Buehrle, etc. He’s been here 6 years and has never played in a playoff game. Plus only 4 years were really good. We’re now going on a sample size of just shy of 1000 AB’s of a guy that is best suited at DH and can’t keep his OPS above .800. Jose is a great story of what he overcame and he seems like 1 hell of a good guy, but sorry....he’s just not a very useful major league baseball player anymore. We should be looking to move on.

It's almost like some of u peeps want Jose to go oh-fer every single day to justify how he's no good. I really don't get it. On a team with so many baseball bums (in terms of performance not personality) Abreu actually is an all star. All I can do is shake my head and remind myself that poll on the board shows the overwhelming majority of fans on here like Jose. I don't know why you think it's odd some people are sentimental about Jose. Not everybody likes tanking and losing every year and he's actually been an all star caliber player. Oh well, Jose is kicking butt in the 2 polls so Sox fans on here do love him, many are just silent. I, of course, worship him in a baseball sense, not religious.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's almost like some of u peeps want Jose to go oh-fer every single day to justify how he's no good. I really don't get it. On a team with so many baseball bums (in terms of performance not personality) Abreu actually is an all star. All I can do is shake my head and remind myself that poll on the board shows the overwhelming majority of fans on here like Jose. I don't know why you think it's odd some people are sentimental about Jose. Not everybody likes tanking and losing every year and he's actually been an all star caliber player. Oh well, Jose is kicking butt in the 2 polls so Sox fans on here do love him, many are just silent. I, of course, worship him in a baseball sense, not religious.

Didn't you hate Adam Dunn? But now you are bringing up HRs and RBIs in reference to Abreu??

On 7/22/2019 at 4:35 PM, The Ultimate Champion said:

This is the last thread I am going to make for now.  Simple poll.  I answered Yes all 3 times.  I love Jose's contributions but his leadership -- if necessary -- should be replaced by a veteran bench player, like an Ian Kinsler in a bench role, or something like that.  We don't need to give him ABs any more.  He shouldn't be the 1B or DH on the next Sox team that contends for a pennant IMO.  

My answers:

! Legitimately mad ? Heck no ? Players come and go . Disappointed a little bit ? Yes. Pending free agents should always be moved.

2. Yes see last sentence of 1st answer.

3 No. Completely done ? Hardly and you make it relatively easy to say no to the question since you included a replacement doing horribly. I really don't know how anyone can answer yes to the question, If you want the Sox to compete next year surely you can't answer yes because the Sox need good performances all around for that to happen.

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

He’s hasn’t been a good baseball player for 1000 AB’s. It’s not a debatable fact. All of your rah-rah homer bullshit isn’t going to change that. Sorry that I want my team to have good baseball players that will win and not more mediocre garbage just because they’ve been here a little while. I want to win...you’re just happy to watch your team not be horrible. Any real fan would be disgusted by this franchise over the past 10 years (excluding the last 2/3 years of rebuilding) and you seem to want to continue on with status quo. I mean, who needs playoff wins?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s probably not true, but they also have one of the deepest fame systems and bats appear to be hard to come by this deadline.

Doesn't make sense. If you're going to give up a top 100 spect, add more to it and grab someone else with more control and is better. I'll file this under "things that will never happen."

Edited by soxfan2014

13 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Doesn't make sense. If you're going to give up a top 100 spect, add more to it and grab someone else with more control and is better. I'll file this under "things that will never happen."

It doesn’t make any sense.  And if Hahn was stupid enough not to deal Abreu for a potential rotation piece like Brent Honeywell (#75) or Shane Baz (#96) with the state of our rotation just because he is the “heart of our team” when he could just bring back Abreu in the offseason, he would deserve to be tarred and feathered by the fans.

Edited by Moan4Yoan