C Grandal/Mcann/ Collins occasionally

DH Collins/Grandal/ Eloy occasionally

RF Benitendi

SS Anderson

Starters

Gio, Wheeler, Price, Cease, Kopech/Lopez

Rodon or Lopez is traded at deadline for Reliever and Utility bat

Sanchez, goins are gone and Leury is Utility to start season

No major bullpen upgrades, but sign highest upside lefty you can afford.

This team competes immediately and outside of probably losing Moncada has a 3-4 year BIG run.

You lost me at trade Madrigal.

Just now, poppysox said:

You lost me at trade Madrigal.

That is fair. I like him. But Moncada, Rendon and Benintendi to me is just too alluring. It's a pipe dream...I know. But I wanted to throw together something that I haven't seen posted. People will laugh and that is fine...but this team would absolutely rake and give JR a heart attack. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

That is fair. I like him. But Moncada, Rendon and Benintendi to me is just too alluring. It's a pipe dream...I know. But I wanted to throw together something that I haven't seen posted. People will laugh and that is fine...but this team would absolutely rake and give JR a heart attack. 

It’s not a terrible plan, and the lineup looks great, but I just can’t get behind it. If we are willing to spend that much money on Rendon (and lose Madrigal in the process), why not just spend all that money on Cole?

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

I like many of your ideas.  However...I want to be consistent in my view that Madrigal is untouchable.  I understand that everyone is tradable but you have to draw the line somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Shoot, I forgot to clarify a few things: 

I overshot Wheeler a bit to ensure they get him. Let's adjust to 5/110  
Trade for Price would include cash to knock down his yearly contract. 36 million sounds realistic (and we may even need to add lopez or dunning +...so he would be $20 mil a year

Price 20 mil
Rendon 34 mil
Wheeler 22 mil
Grandal 20 mil
Abreu 18 mil (1 season only)
Benintendi 4.9 mil

New Salary - 119 mil this season
                        101 mil 2021
40 mil of assumed salary for roster
Losing Sanchez 6.9 mil 
Goins 900 K 

so about 160 mil for 2020 and 140 mil for 2021 (obviously will be adjusted with losses and additions)

You’re assumed roster should be around $72ish I believe...that’s including Abreu at the QO. So you’re at around $175M final payroll. Good luck with that...

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

You’re assumed roster should be around $72ish I believe...that’s including Abreu at the QO. So you’re at around $175M final payroll. Good luck with that...

I would be totally good on this lineup of not having ABREU. That would be much more realistic. Just not sure if he is gonna find a multi year deal with the pick attached. Also...someone stated why not Cole...and that reason is that Jerry would never agree to 8 years on a pitcher....and I'm hoping Rendon would come less then Machado did because age. I want Cole/Strasburg over anything...but the Boston thread got me thinking on a really different path. I hope the payroll falls in the 150-160 range...alas...it's a dream.

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

I would be totally good on this lineup of not having ABREU. That would be much more realistic. Just not sure if he is gonna find a multi year deal with the pick attached. Also...someone stated why not Cole...and that reason is that Jerry would never agree to 8 years on a pitcher....and I'm hoping Rendon would come less then Machado did because age. I want Cole/Strasburg over anything...but the Boston thread got me thinking on a really different path. I hope the payroll falls in the 150-160 range...alas...it's a dream.

Hey I hear ya...I’m not trying to take away your ability to dream lol. Not even trying to criticize your moves. Just pointing out that after arb, Abreu (we all know he’s not going anywhere), and filling the roster to 26 you have to start your off season at around $70M.  Adding $100M is definitely a dream, I’ll be happy if they get to $60.

59 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I have every faith that JR will go 160+.  That is just barely into the top third of baseball.  They will put their money where the mouth has been.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I have every faith that JR will go 160+.  That is just barely into the top third of baseball.  They will put their money where the mouth has been.

Maybe by 2022...definitely isn’t happening this offseason. $135M....maybe. 

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

If we all agreed...no point in having a forum.

Sure...but let’s be honest, your optimism knows no bounds. I am probably on the more optimistic side of most regular posters here, but am at least able to look at things objectively. You’re just a company yes man. Not that that is a bad thing..we all have our different ways of being a fan, but it’s also the truth. 🤷🏻‍♂

There is no realistic scenario in which the White Sox are sporting a 2020 payroll in excess $160M. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure...but let’s be honest, your optimism knows no bounds. I am probably on the more optimistic side of most regular posters here, but am at least able to look at things objectively. You’re just a company yes man. Not that that is a bad thing..we all have our different ways of being a fan, but it’s also the truth. 🤷🏻‍♂

There is no realistic scenario in which the White Sox are sporting a 2020 payroll in excess $160M. 

When KW was running the show I was anything but a yes man.  RH is a very smart guy and I give him and JR more credit than you do.  We shall see.  You can wash a window to the right and you can wash a window to the left.  Try not to always wash it in the wrong direction.😉

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Why blow it all in one off-season? Spread it out.

Ummm...amazing starting pitching, a great catching FA and potentially getting some Red Sox bargain bin deal is definitely worth blowing it all on. Honestly not spending it on Harchado and seeing Moncada, anderson and Eloy succeed sent this rebuild into BUY NOW mode. We want a 4-5 year window. That accelerates amazingly if they go 160m payroll

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When KW was running the show I was anything but a yes man.  RH is a very smart guy and I give him and JR more credit than you do.  We shall see.  You can wash a window to the right and you can wash a window to the left.  Try not to always wash it in the wrong direction.😉

The White Sox won a World Series under KW in addition to making the playoffs multiple times.  Rick Hahn has yet to achieve a 2nd place finish or even a .500 season.  Yes, some of that is by design, but honestly hating on KW but giving Rick Hahn props is very mind-boggling to me.  Worst case scenario, hate on both of them at least.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The White Sox won a World Series under KW in addition to making the playoffs multiple times.  Rick Hahn has yet to achieve a 2nd place finish or even a .500 season.  Yes, some of that is by design, but honestly hating on KW but giving Rick Hahn props is very mind-boggling to me.  Worst case scenario, hate on both of them at least.

I'm not a KW fan...so sue me.

If you want a “realistic” offseason, MLB.com had article stating the Padres might after both Rendon & Strasburg.  While there is no way in hell that’s happening, it does make Reinsdorf look like a total joke when it comes to big name free agents.  It also highlights the idea that when impact guys like Rendon do become available, you should be willing to consider any and all options to make them fit.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you want a “realistic” offseason, MLB.com had article stating the Padres might after both Rendon & Strasburg.  While there is no way in hell that’s happening, it does make Reinsdorf look like a total joke when it comes to big name free agents.  It also highlights the idea that when impact guys like Rendon do become available, you should be willing to consider any and all options to make them fit.

That’s really nuts, since they just signed Machado for Rendon’s best position...coming next, after Strasburg, Kris Bryant, too.   Only $160-200 million for Stras.

https://www.gaslampball.com/2019/11/4/20947800/acee-padres-to-pursue-strasburg

As you might’ve seen on the Union-Tribune or elsewhere on the web, the Padres are expected to make a run at Stephen Strasburg in free agency. 

Kevin Acee of the UT relayed on Sunday that “multiple people in the organization indicated over the past few days that the team will be in position to make a run at Stephen Strasburg”. Strasburg, 31, officially opted out of the remaining four years and $100MM on his contract with the Nationals on Saturday evening. 

In order for the Padres to lure Strasburg back to his native SD, GM AJ Preller will have to overcome a few obstacles. First, Strasburg and his agent Scott Boras have a historically strong relationship with the Nationals and their Lerner family ownership. 

Strasburg re-upped with DC back in the middle of 2016, opting forego his first taste of free agency; that was a serious anomoly for a Boras client, as the Newport-based Boras Corp typically guides their clients toward free agency as quickly as possible. 

In recent years, Boras clients like Patrick Corbin, Max Scherzer, and Jeremy Hellickson have all found homes in Washington; Juan Soto is also a Boras client, so it will be interesting to see if the Lerner family and Nationals GM Mike Rizzo do everything in their power to keep Strasburg—and his agent—happy partly as a means of facilitating future negotiations with the new face of their franchise. 

Indeed, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported that the Nationals and Boras would commence negotiations on Sunday with an interest in keeping Strasburg in DC.

Couple of interesting tidbits from readers’ commentary...

does he live there?

stras is definitely a family guy…. but he also cares a great deal to be close to his family here. He lived in the dorms at SDSU for like 3 days before he moved back home to be with his mom. he also works out here in the offseason, often at SDSU.

If you can get him for 6/$180m i think you have to do it. Guy is a stud and lives for the big game. his command and secondary pitches are elite which leads me to believe he will age well even if his velo gets down to low-90s by the end of his career.

But he may have just upgraded, actually not sure where he currently lives.

dont get me wrong, I think SD has a good shot at him too, because of the hometown ties. Assuming the money is there. But Im definitely not counting out Washington because of the familiarity and success he’s had there.

Edited by caulfield12