$250M to burn

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

29 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Absolutely zero chance they would have let Abreu walk not when that’s a signal it’s time to contend. Jimenez they would have tried extending just because that’s the whitesox way and what they have him being paid will be bargain dumpster shopping here in a season or so. I’m not going to give this front office the benefit of the doubt you have to do more than extending Abreu and signing grandal to say the money was spent, because imo the moment you spend 250 mil you are going to spend more to make the team a contender. 

250 mil  and so far the only thing that has come back in new money is the 74 mil to Grandal. There is much more to be spent in my opinion 

Don’t worry, they’re on their way.

50 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

And last offseason had they signed Machado do you really think they would have just let Abreu walk? Highly unlikely 

Guys it’s pretty clear. Last year we had the option to sign Manny machado and nobody else for the next decade, or not sign him and be able to sign other players each year. 

Sox made right choice imo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sox said the money will be spent. They didn’t say how or over a certain number of years, just that the $250M would be spent. Looks like they’re on track to do that this winter alone.

The number is $30M, not $300M. Even if you add $30M right now to the payroll, they are no where near the luxury cap. This is a foolish argument.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Jerry’s boys said the money would be spent and that appears to be happening; however, I don’t believe they would have been this aggressive in free agency if they still had Manny on the books for another 7-9 years.

“This aggressive”? They’ve signed one guy. 

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Very pissed off they missed out on Machado. It isn't fair to make this a Machado vs. Abreu/Grandal / Wheeler situation as they SHOULD have enough cap room to get ALL of that.

They SHOULD have enough room to get Harper AND Machado. 

This is a false dichotomy IMO. 

Agreed.

The Sox could have a 200 million dollar payroll if they wanted.  Why do fans allow themselves to get emotionally played by these owners ? 

The Sox could go out and sign Cole AND Strasburg if they wanted.

The Sox can draw 3 million people annually to GRF if they wanted.

It's not the fans responsibility to make the product competitive, that's on ownership.

And for you Reinsdorf apologists, what say you about how he treats the Bulls fanbase ? Consistently top 3 in attendance since the Jordan years. 

That "50 cents" BS doesn't play well on West Madison...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GradMc said:

Agreed.

The Sox could have a 200 million dollar payroll if they wanted.  Why do fans allow themselves to get emotionally played by these owners ? 

The Sox could go out and sign Cole AND Strasburg if they wanted.

The Sox can draw 3 million people annually to GRF if they wanted.

It's not the fans responsibility to make the product competitive, that's on ownership.

And for you Reinsdorf apologists, what say you about how he treats the Bulls fanbase ? Consistently top 3 in attendance since the Jordan years. 

That "50 cents" BS doesn't play well on West Madison...

What's worse is that people think the Yasmani and Abreu signings are going to limit us in the current offseason. Like COME ON. This team has SO much cap room, the ownership is exploting the f*** out of it. No reason we shouldn't have been #1 on Machado or Harper by far. 

I wanted MM as much as anybody here, but I really can’t complain with the way things have tuned out. Moncada has turned into a star at 3B (sure, could have happened at 2B too). Give me Grandal + Wheeler + big time RF in 2021 FA and I think I’d prefer that allocation of funds as opposed to $300M to just MM. I don’t expect it to be too long before that Machado contract is an albatross. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t expect it to be too long before that Machado contract is an albatross. 

I'm fine with your other comments, but I don't see why people feel this way. Machado is 27 right now. He has another 5 years of pretty much prime-quality play with superb defense. Another 2 more years of quality play and then maybe he will become an albatross. But at that point, who cares 0_0. 

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

What's worse is that people think the Yasmani and Abreu signings are going to limit us in the current offseason. Like COME ON. This team has SO much cap room, the ownership is exploting the f*** out of it. No reason we shouldn't have been #1 on Machado or Harper by far. 

Actually there is no hard cap in baseball. There is a luxury tax however.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm fine with your other comments, but I don't see why people feel this way. Machado is 27 right now. He has another 5 years of pretty much prime-quality play with superb defense. Another 2 more years of quality play and then maybe he will become an albatross. But at that point, who cares 0_0. 

I mean, two of his last three seasons he’s produced just 2.4 and 3.1 fWAR seasons. That is pretty much neutral value at $30M AAV. I wouldn’t be shocked if he has another 5+ WAR season or two, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t. So much of his value is derived from his plus defense, and while I don’t expect that to change overnight, he’s unlikely to be a plus defender on the back half of that deal. Machado is going to need to have a few very nice seasons in the front half of that deal, because the back half may be ugly. 

I also just feel - and to be clear I was willing to take the risk a year ago - that MM is a guy that may not age great. He came into the league super young, he has somewhat questionable makeup and is now one of the richest baseball players ever. I just don’t really think Machados strongest seasons are ahead of him, and I don’t really blame the Sox for not wanting to push beyond $250M with plenty of fair incentives should MM still be a quality player 8 years down the line. ultimately, I think it will Be a bullet dodged despite how hard I took the news when he signed in SD. 

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wanted MM as much as anybody here, but I really can’t complain with the way things have tuned out. Moncada has turned into a star at 3B (sure, could have happened at 2B too). Give me Grandal + Wheeler + big time RF in 2021 FA and I think I’d prefer that allocation of funds as opposed to $300M to just MM. I don’t expect it to be too long before that Machado contract is an albatross. 

The life  of the contract, has nothing to do with the luxury cap. MM is a generational type of player.

The guy said, he would rather have these 3 players with their contracts equaling to what Machado's contract is. You can spend up to the luxury limit before you are penalized. So, it doesn't make any sense comparing the life amount of the contract when luxury is what is spent per year. I say again, adding Machado's $30M this year to what ever the Sox spend in FA this year, still does not bring us to that luxury limit.

7 minutes ago, Cashman said:

The guy said, he would rather have these 3 players with their contracts equaling to what Machado's contract is. You can spend up to the luxury limit before you are penalized. So, it doesn't make any sense comparing the life amount of the contract when luxury is what is spent per year. I say again, adding Machado's $30M this year to what ever the Sox spend in FA this year, still does not bring us to that luxury limit.

Our salary ceiling isn’t the luxury tax threshold, so not sure what you’re getting at here.

9 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:250 mil  and so far the only thing that has come back in new money is the 74 mil to Grandal. There is much more to be spent in my opinion 

I don’t think the money spent on Machado should include Abreu, they probably budgeted for him years ago. You would think they would think in terms of new money and that they would be able to get Wheeler and other players. There is so much payroll flexibility.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:30 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Better spent on a single Manny Machado last winter or Grandal, Abreu, + Wheeler this winter? Fans still upset they missed on Machado?

If there had been even a single report that they decided not to pursue Machado because they had a better plan, I might be open to this argument.

They wanted Machado, they felt strongly Machado was the best fit and best opportunity, and they whiffed badly. Perhaps that works out better in the long run, but that doesn't mean they made a good decision. They failed to make a bad one out of incompetence. So yeah, still upset. 

• 2 weeks later...