Favorite "Bounce Back"/Savvy Pitcher FA Candidates

bmags

Not saying this is the barrel the sox will swim in, but interested to hear if there are any interesting guys posters like in that 1 year/2 year bounce back area.

I've seen:

Porcello - objectively awful last year but gives you innings. I have stated that I think he tried to change things up to the high fastball 4 seamer way the red sox (and white sox) have been preaching and just didn't work with his stuff. Leaning heavily back on his sinker is a way to find a decent back end starter.

Taijian Walker - Has not pitched for two straight years, and is only 27. He was non-tendered, and the dbacks would know health and recovery better than anyone. But fewer guys could claim a plausible out of nowhere season.

Martin Perez - Found new life in Minny with a cutter before regressing in the second half. Just seems like a good candidate for our pitching staff.

Danny Salazar - this guy is probably absolute toast since the indians let him go but I've always had an absolute crush on his filth and just want to be the team that has him for his next life if it happens.

Homer Bailey - His split finger was nasty last year. On a 1 year deal just let him throw that thing all day. When he went to the As he really started to cut his BBs down and his WHIP was at a low last year. Also, remember Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey trades?

2 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Alex Wood

Yah, Alex Wood is my favorite pick.  But Walker is up there now that he is available.  Frankly, you could do both.  Not sure if Walker is even going to be an option OD.  Porcello would be OK too I guess. 

Lindbloom is interesting as well.  Smyly as a dirt cheap option.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, Alex Wood is my favorite pick.  But Walker is up there now that he is available.  Frankly, you could do both.  Not sure if Walker is even going to be an option OD.  Porcello would be OK too I guess. 

Lindbloom is interesting as well.  Smyly as a dirt cheap option.  

He pitched in the last game of 2019...did he get injured again (sincerely asking the b-ref news didn't mention it)

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

No, sorry - just missed that.  

I do take the non-tendering by dbacks as a pretty bad sign. They can be decently competitive again next year and he was only projected at $5 mill. He re-injured the elbow early last year and got through for a late comeback, but I'm guessing it isn't a clean injury report.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not saying this is the barrel the sox will swim in, but interested to hear if there are any interesting guys posters like in that 1 year/2 year bounce back area.

I've seen:

Porcello - objectively awful last year but gives you innings. I have stated that I think he tried to change things up to the high fastball 4 seamer way the red sox (and white sox) have been preaching and just didn't work with his stuff. Leaning heavily back on his sinker is a way to find a decent back end starter.

Taijian Walker - Has not pitched for two straight years, and is only 27. He was non-tendered, and the dbacks would know health and recovery better than anyone. But fewer guys could claim a plausible out of nowhere season.

Martin Perez - Found new life in Minny with a cutter before regressing in the second half. Just seems like a good candidate for our pitching staff.

Danny Salazar - this guy is probably absolute toast since the indians let him go but I've always had an absolute crush on his filth and just want to be the team that has him for his next life if it happens.

Homer Bailey - His split finger was nasty last year. On a 1 year deal just let him throw that thing all day. When he went to the As he really started to cut his BBs down and his WHIP was at a low last year. Also, remember Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey trades?

Without a doubt Walker and Salazar are my two favorites from this list.  Walker had so much potential but never hit it.  Though he still did pitch well when he did pitch.  Salazar is just filthy when he pitches.  I think Walker is safer of the two but obviously both could just flop.  I would jump for joy for either, prefer Walker.

Just now, cjgalloway said:

Without a doubt Walker and Salazar are my two favorites from this list.  Walker had so much potential but never hit it.  Though he still did pitch well when he did pitch.  Salazar is just filthy when he pitches.  I think Walker is safer of the two but obviously both could just flop.  I would jump for joy for either, prefer Walker.

There was a two year stretch where it seemed every game I'd end up at was sox indians with salazar pitching and it would be these brutal games where the sox couldn't muster a hit.

Just now, cjgalloway said:

Walker DID pitch at the end of last year, so I don't see why there would be any restraits unless he hurt himself in the offseason.

I think it's more that he "recovered" then was out for that same elbow most of the season than arrives for 1 inning at the end of the season. So there may be durability concerns with the reconstructed elbow as a starter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

dumpster diving... such a white sox thing.

dumpster-rick.jpg

This thread isn't intended to mean that. There are always interesting lower level pitchers that end up outperforming, and quite frankly soxtalk has been pretty good at identifying some each year.

We were way off on henderson alvarez though.