Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Sox planning on having fans present in small amounts

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. I'm not advocating just "return to normal." Just that it should slowly increase. Illinois seems to have finally done something right. 

We went on a trip to Colorado to pick up my daughter and there were hundreds of people at devils tower. I couldn't believe the number.  Iowa and Colorado are allowing people in restaurants at a small capacity. It where Illinois is going I think.

I was in Iowa last weekend and you wouldn’t have known we were in the middle of a pandemic. Literally hundreds and hundreds of people close together with no masks watching travel baseball games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's not just that. It's also that we need to start being concerned with peoples mental health as well. The number of suicides and deaths due to overdoses as significantly increased.  The domestic abuse incidents has skyrocketed.  The reports of child abuse has decreased by nearly 70% on Illinois because no one is seeing the kids to report it. Think of the lifetime of damage being done to the people.

I realize that the incidence of the virus will increase when things start to return to "more normal" vit there comes a time when it will do society as a whole more good to get out.

I may be naive but I think sporting events will help with society's mental health. Most of the major sports are opening toward the end of July. Hopefully being able to go in small numbers will help people. 

 

How is it for people's mental health when they can't go to a grocery store without being scared because a governor decided to open things up when it wasn't under control? I have to see a doctor often enough that I can track what the Texas governor has done to my blood pressure this year.

How does the 2nd lockdown do for people's mental health? 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astros want fans. Houston judge asks everyone to stay home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

How is it for people's mental health when they can't go to a grocery store without being scared because a governor decided to open things up when it wasn't under control? I have to see a doctor often enough that I can track what the Texas governor has done to my blood pressure this year.

How does the 2nd lockdown do for people's mental health? 

It all depends on if there is a 2nd lockdown. When the next wave hits, it will depend on the severity.  However in the meantime at least people will get a mental uplift by being able to do somethings. That break will help some hopefully most. It's all about mitigating both the pandemic and the mental and abuse issues that are occurring because of it. 

People make light of it but I do think sports help in this regard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, pcq said:

Astros want fans. Houston judge asks everyone to stay home.

in certain areas such as Texas where the virus is increasing, it may not be appropriate for fans. I'm sure all owners want it for at least some revenue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It all depends on if there is a 2nd lockdown. When the next wave hits, it will depend on the severity.  However in the meantime at least people will get a mental uplift by being able to do somethings. That break will help some hopefully most. It's all about mitigating both the pandemic and the mental and abuse issues that are occurring because of it. 

People make light of it but I do think sports help in this regard.

Bringing sports back will help some I agree.

Triggering a second outbreak will not, I promise. Put them on TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bringing sports back will help some I agree.

Triggering a second outbreak will not, I promise. Put them on TV.

I think in some areas where it has continued to decrease over the next month could have limited fans. If places are increasing I agree. There will be a second round because life eventually needs to start to return. It would just depend on if it's in the Fall or in the winter depending on the timeline. I'm not sure if prolonging a "lockdown" would eradicate it. It might decrease the severity but as I said earlier there are so many downsides to the lockdown as well that it needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think in some areas where it has continued to decrease over the next month could have limited fans. If places are increasing I agree. There will be a second round because life eventually needs to start to return. It would just depend on if it's in the Fall or in the winter depending on the timeline. I'm not sure if prolonging a "lockdown" would eradicate it. It might decrease the severity but as I said earlier there are so many downsides to the lockdown as well that it needs to be taken into consideration as well.

It took less than 2 months for the irresponsible "reopen" states to trigger explosions so big that basically all their hospitals are full right now. You can have stuff open and not in lockdown but you have to be very careful about it, you have to respect how big the threat is. The moment you think you have this thing beaten it will come roaring back.

Illinois has been responsible enough that you can probably have some businesses and schools open if you have proper protection and an established tracing program (which Illinois does not currently have but is supposedly working on?). Crowds of 7600 people (20% capacity)...well, as I said, if 1 person tests positive, can you contact and test all 7600 within 2 days? If not, then you aren't ready for it...and no state is set up to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, poppysox said:

You pose a danger to others when you drive your car.  I don't favor hiding in the basement until "it's safe to come out."  America won't be here when it's safe to return to normal by some people's standards.  Play ball!

This line of logic again?  Unless you are saying that we should rid ourselves of all traffic laws and auto safety advances, you aren't comparing apples to apples here, which is literally the point.  We have a century of doing tons of things to mitigate the possibility of dying in an auto accident.  It is literally the point of what we are doing with COVID.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's not just that. It's also that we need to start being concerned with peoples mental health as well. The number of suicides and deaths due to overdoses as significantly increased.  The domestic abuse incidents has skyrocketed.  The reports of child abuse has decreased by nearly 70% on Illinois because no one is seeing the kids to report it. Think of the lifetime of damage being done to the people.

I realize that the incidence of the virus will increase when things start to return to "more normal" vit there comes a time when it will do society as a whole more good to get out.

I may be naive but I think sporting events will help with society's mental health. Most of the major sports are opening toward the end of July. Hopefully being able to go in small numbers will help people. 

 

This has not shown up in the death numbers nationally at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This line of logic again?  Unless you are saying that we should rid ourselves of all traffic laws and auto safety advances, you aren't comparing apples to apples here, which is literally the point.  We have a century of doing tons of things to mitigate the possibility of dying in an auto accident.  It is literally the point of what we are doing with COVID.

Exactly. People are required to wear seatbelts to save THEIR lives. Yet they think wearing a mask to protect others is against their civil rights.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It took less than 2 months for the irresponsible "reopen" states to trigger explosions so big that basically all their hospitals are full right now. You can have stuff open and not in lockdown but you have to be very careful about it, you have to respect how big the threat is. The moment you think you have this thing beaten it will come roaring back.

Illinois has been responsible enough that you can probably have some businesses and schools open if you have proper protection and an established tracing program (which Illinois does not currently have but is supposedly working on?). Crowds of 7600 people (20% capacity)...well, as I said, if 1 person tests positive, can you contact and test all 7600 within 2 days? If not, then you aren't ready for it...and no state is set up to do that.

No doubt it needs to he controlled. I'm not suggesting just send 40,000 fans to every stadium. It needs to be done where things are doing well and at a slow pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This has not shown up in the death numbers nationally at this time.

I've seen articles about it. It probably isn't in all places throughout the nation but there are certain places more susceptible to it in general. I've seen the stats from the abuse as we just had mandatory reporter training and it had a special section on remote signs for it.

Edited by ptatc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No doubt it needs to he controlled. I'm not suggesting just send 40,000 fans to every stadium. It needs to be done where things are doing well and at a slow pace.

I think a few dozen is probably ok and I'd be pretty confident that Illinois could track down that many people if 1 tested positive to be able to test and quarantine all the rest. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly. People are required to wear seatbelts to save THEIR lives. Yet they think wearing a mask to protect others is against their civil rights.

People are required to wear things like a shirt and shoes in order to get service at a store.  Non-govt entities can easily regulate masks as a requirement for entry.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously the virus is very dangerous because it is invisible and can spread very easily from person to person. But this whole thing has led me to think about other dangers in the sport that could also potentially cause life-altering or life-ending results, that aren't paid as much attention to.

I think the most dangerous thing in baseball is quite literally the ball itself. We've seen what the ball can do when it moves fast. A minor league (coach I believe?) was killed while being struck in the head in the dugout a few years ago. That led to 1st and 3rd base coaches required to wear helmets. We saw a little girl in the stands in Houston last year get a hard liner to the head, causing permanent brain damage. As a result, netting is being put up from foul pole to foul pole all across MLB parks. 

Warning tracks were created so outfielders can better anticipate the wall and lessen the chance of breaking something (unless you're Adam Eaton).

No more hard slides into 2nd base or bowling over the catcher at homeplate. 

How can we better anticipate these kinds of things in the game to protect players before injuries or (God-forbid) death, force a decision to be made?

I for one think a discussion needs to be had about pitchers starting to wear helmets and/or facemasks on the mound. Balls are being pitched faster, resulting in harder hit balls. We've all seen a couple scares already with pitchers getting hit in the head with liners in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly. People are required to wear seatbelts to save THEIR lives. Yet they think wearing a mask to protect others is against their civil rights.

Think about how many traffic laws we have to follow to stop from killing other people.

-speed limits

-turn signals

-aggressive driving

-drinking while driving

-texting while driving

-drugs while driving

-tired driving

-minimum age to drive

-being able to see while driving

-a driving test to obtain a drivers licence

-traffic rules such as lane restrictions

-licensing cars for minimum standards

-auto pollution standards

-wearing seatbelts

-child safety laws such as car seats etc

You get the point.  Yet when we do similar for COVID, people lose their shit about personal freedoms.  I wish we had a level of regulation for COVID which was relative to traffic rules.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Think about how many traffic laws we have to follow to stop from killing other people.

-speed limits

-turn signals

-aggressive driving

-drinking while driving

-texting while driving

-drugs while driving

-tired driving

-minimum age to drive

-being able to see while driving

-a driving test to obtain a drivers licence

-traffic rules such as lane restrictions

-licensing cars for minimum standards

-auto pollution standards

-wearing seatbelts

-child safety laws such as car seats etc

You get the point.  Yet when we do similar for COVID, people lose their shit about personal freedoms.  I wish we had a level of regulation for COVID which was relative to traffic rules.

 

We dont have auto pollution standards. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I've seen articles about it. It probably isn't in all places throughout the nation but there are certain places more susceptible to it in general. I've seen the stats from the abuse as we just had mandatory reporter training and it had a special section on remote signs for it.

I have seen anecdotal stories, but it hasn't shown up in death numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fathom said:

I was in Iowa last weekend and you wouldn’t have known we were in the middle of a pandemic. Literally hundreds and hundreds of people close together with no masks watching travel baseball games.

Yeah I live in right on the border of IL/IA and it’s a night and day difference just crossing the bridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TV crews will not travel but work remotely. Radio is optional. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ptatc said:

We dont have auto pollution standards. 😁

While the current administration weakened them, they do very much still exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Think about how many traffic laws we have to follow to stop from killing other people.

-speed limits

-turn signals

-aggressive driving

-drinking while driving

-texting while driving

-drugs while driving

-tired driving

-minimum age to drive

-being able to see while driving

-a driving test to obtain a drivers licence

-traffic rules such as lane restrictions

-licensing cars for minimum standards

-auto pollution standards

-wearing seatbelts

-child safety laws such as car seats etc

You get the point.  Yet when we do similar for COVID, people lose their shit about personal freedoms.  I wish we had a level of regulation for COVID which was relative to traffic rules.

 

What percentage of people follow those though?  I drive a ton for work...well back in olden times I did anyways.  And the amount of people I'd see texting while driving is astronomical.  The amount of people that video chat while driving is insane.  How many people are issued speeding tickets every year?  And that is probably what, 1/100 of people that speed?  How many DUIs?  Driving without a license?  People ignore those laws like crazy.  

The point is that people ignore all sorts of rules.  Rules intended to protect themselves and others.  People are stupid and selfish.  That was completely evident long before this outbreak.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pcq said:

TV crews will not travel but work remotely. Radio is optional. 

Is that right? Wow. I'd imagine the radio guys need to be at the game to broadcast it. Or I guess everybody will understand if their call is delayed a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see baseball.  I want to see major league sports across all the spectrum.  Its not safe to do this now.  My TV will still allow me to enjoy the games and watch my teams.   The target should be getting the economy back on track and the kids back to school.  There is zero value of pushing fans in the stands besides building a large lab experiment to spread the virus.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×