8/5 Sox vs Brewers GT

soxfan49

It may work for players individually, but the batting approach of this team may be a real issue for them down the line. When they run into a good SP, they never can get them out early, or even on time, because they see so few pitches.

In the regular season you can eat the occasional loses and be fine, but in the playoffs, especially with the extra rest, you are facing an All Star caliber SP 40-60% of the time, and if you are letting those SPs go deep, that also means you are only facing the best bullpen guys. As you get deep in the playoffs, those best bullpen guys quickly become unhittable bullpen guys.

Not really sure if there is a way to fix it at this point either. Most of our position players are locked in for years now, and it seems tough for all of them to switch their approach en masse (and risky, since the approach obviously works for a lot of these guys)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

It may work for players individually, but the batting approach of this team may be a real issue for them down the line. When they run into a good SP, they never can get them out early, or even on time, because they see so few pitches.

In the regular season you can eat the occasional loses and be fine, but in the playoffs, especially with the extra rest, you are facing an All Star caliber SP 40-60% of the time, and if you are letting those SPs go deep, that also means you are only facing the best bullpen guys. As you get deep in the playoffs, those best bullpen guys quickly become unhittable bullpen guys.

Not really sure if there is a way to fix it at this point either. Most of our position players are locked in for years now, and it seems tough for all of them to switch their approach en masse (and risky, since the approach obviously works for a lot of these guys)

Grandal, EE and Madrigal making contact were supposed to mitigate some of those bad tendencies.

I mean, we're still one of the leading offenses in MLB, despite this game.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Grandal, Keuchel and Madrigal making contact were supposed to mitigate some of those bad tendencies.

I mean, we're still one of the leading offenses in MLB, despite this game.

Grandal was a huge add because of this, but there is a difference between "seeing pitches" and "not striking out." Madrigal does the latter, not the former, mainly by making contact so early that he doesn't have a chance to strike out.

I think in the regular season this is a viable approach and can still produce a great offense. I am worried the nature of playoffs makes it much more exploitable there.

Just now, gusguyman said:

Grandal was a huge add because of this, but there is a difference between "seeing pitches" and "not striking out." Madrigal does the latter, not the former, mainly by making contact so early that he doesn't have a chance to strike out.

I think in the regular season this is a viable approach and can still produce a great offense. I am worried the nature of playoffs makes it much more exploitable there.

I meant EE, he gets professional at-bats when he's on a really hot streak and locked in on the fastball.