8/12 Game Thread Sox@ Detroit finale noon start

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Colome takes a lot of heat around here because he’s not a big strikeout guy but he gets the job done. Hasn’t given up a run yet this season and has a high save percentage and low ERA since joining the Sox. You’d think he was Craig Kimbrel or something based on board comments.

Now I like this one

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

James McCann is a free agent after this season. I hope the White Sox resign him. If I was the GM now I would sign him up right now with a long term contract.

McCann wants to be a #1 catcher so I am sure he is gone after this year.  Sucks for the Sox but that is the way it is.  McCann = Jim Essian.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Juan Gonzalez agrees with you.

As a fan, it's not bad.   Still prefer the overhangs/second decks in the old stadium, even though it was located in a not so good area of the city.   That park had character, pretty sure they filmed most of the scenes from THE NATURAL there.   

The Natural was shot at the old Buffalo Coliseum.

15 minutes ago, wegner said:

McCann wants to be a #1 catcher so I am sure he is gone after this year.  Sucks for the Sox but that is the way it is.  McCann = Jim Essian.

Unless McCann takes a discount deal, which he shouldn’t honestly, he is a goner. He deserves a shot to be the everyday catcher for a team tbh.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tony said:

What are the years and money you would offer...as GM? 

I'd go 4yrs 32M.  Not sure if he would buy it or not and I'd be fine if there was some team options in there. I kind of think of it as - he hasn't gotten a big contract and that type of deal has to at least be tempting for a guy like McCann.  

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'd go 4yrs 32M.  Not sure if he would buy it or not and I'd be fine if there was some team options in there. I kind of think of it as - he hasn't gotten a big contract and that type of deal has to at least be tempting for a guy like McCann.  

And then he DH's most nights with an occasional start at C?

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And then he DH's most nights with an occasional start at C?

Yeah; I like the 40/60 split at C.  Related is injuries will happen and maybe some years it is even more and between him and Grandal they get extra AB's at DH and there bodies hold up, etc.  

39 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

James McCann is a free agent after this season. I hope the White Sox resign him. If I was the GM now I would sign him up right now with a long term contract.

Why would James McCann sign a deal to be a back up for the next two seasons?

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Why would James McCann sign a deal to be a back up for the next two seasons?

Hahn should have signed McCann this past off season to a long term contract. And No I would not have signed Grandal to along term deal.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But he did.  And so that isn't something you can hand wave away.

No you can't wave  Grandal away but you could trade him. I don't see how the White Sox bettered themselves by signing Grandal. McCann was on the all star team last year, Hahn could have signed him to a long term contract this past off season. He probably would have been cheaper than what they gave Grandal. He is also younger than Grandal.

24 minutes ago, Vulture said:

With DH open they can guarantee him 130+ starts

I think he's more effective as a backup personally. I would rather find a hitter first player to be the DH as opposed to career year catcher. Plus, Vaughn should figure into the equation next year if he's hitting the first couple of months of the season.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Only if you don't bring back EE and block Vaughn.

I wouldn't bring back EE. As for Vaughn, the good teams that win year in year out stack their rosters and let the pieces fall where they may. Ultimately he's Abreu's replacement. Knowing we had an all star caliber catcher 162 games a year would be a huge advantage. I'd rather have that than an Encarnacion type.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Only if you don't bring back EE and block Vaughn.

Do you think Vaughn (or any minor leaguer) will be ready for next year with really no developmental games this year? I would think they would all spend the majority of next year in the minors.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Do you think Vaughn (or any minor leaguer) will be ready for next year with really no developmental games this year? I would think they would all spend the majority of next year in the minors.

I'm thinking couple months minimum if he is destroying minor league pitching. You may be right though. Hopefully there will be a fall or winter league where prospects can play later in the year but that seems like wishful thinking.

If McCann were resigned I would consider him the primary catcher and Grandal the primary dh, however playing time is split. Throughout his career, pitchers have performed better with him behind the plate, I'm not convinced Grandal is a better receiver despite the framing stats. Small sample size, but that trend has carried over to this year. After today,  McCann's era is close to 3.00, Grandal 5.63. Grandal allows passed balls at somewhere around 4-5 times the rate of McCann as well.