8-18 GT: Tigers at Sox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, Cease has been pretty bad this year despite a good ERA coming into tonight.

He's 24 years old and 18 starts into his pro career in a weird ass season where pitchers are getting hurt left and right. Cut the kid some damn slack.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Dude idk what it is....he's not fooling anyone and he gives up a ton of hard contact. 

If you want to say that's ridiculous that's fine, but I know what my eyes are telling me. 

It’s his 19th start in a pandemic fueled season and despite posting 98th percentile velocity and 93% percentile velocity spin you are completely writing him off.  Like I don’t know many times you have to do this before you realize jumping to conclusions on still developing young players is fucking stupid.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s his 19th start in a pandemic fueled season and despite posting 98th percentile velocity and 93% percentile velocity spin you are completely writing him off.  Like I don’t know many times you have to do this before you realize jumping to conclusions on still developing young players is fucking stupid.

That's fair man. I'm being impatient because they're supposed to win. There aren't a lot of finished products on this team. 

7 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Pitching is very hard. I have no long term concerns about Cease. I think he’ll be good for the Sox long term.

The problem is that Cease is being over depended on. I think he’s a 4 or 5 starter on a good staff right now. I think that’s why people are frustrated with him, they’re expecting too 3 starter stuff and he’s not that yet.

The Sox need another TOR arm to pair with Giolito and they need another bottom of the rotation arm who can eat innings and keep the Sox in games. Kuechel is a 3. 

Cease easily has #3 starter ability, and he'd be the #3 starter or better on half the MLB teams right now.

And the Sox really aren't relying on him to be a #3. The ideal rotation in 2021-2023 is Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech (you forgot about him), Cease, and Dunning/Crochet/Rodon. Kopech opting out hurt their plan, but there's zero way they could have predicted that.

This board melts down every time a pitcher allows a run or a hitter Ks. It's not representative of rational thought

Just now, fathom said:

This is not a finished product team

Yup. This year to me is about enjoying a halfway decent team for the first time in like 8 years and seeing improvement. Next year is the time for expectations.