Jump to content
soxfan49

Offseason Targets

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've thought about this as well but the issue with this scenario is it means reinsdorf is an even bigger POS than anyone thought. 

"I'll only try and spend money if you accept my drunk racist uncle as your leader!"

This is a serious question.  What racist comments has La russa made?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

This is a serious question.  What racist comments has La russa made?

He didn't like players kneeling.  

So the snow flakes of the world assume he's wearing a white hood in his free time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

This is a serious question.  What racist comments has La russa made?

 

1 minute ago, black jack said:

He didn't like players kneeling.  

So the snow flakes of the world assume he's wearing a white hood in his free time. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/the-hypocrisy-of-tony-la-russa-and-the-understandable-fears-of-black-baseball-players-045857175.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, black jack said:

the snow flakes

This has become such a played out phrase.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saufley said:

Maybe I have forgotten, but was there really that much hate talk regarding the Grandal signing last year? Seems to me people were rejoicing about the early signing.

Not much. I think people just didn't really know about his style and his flaws so they were upset when they came to light this season. Plus, low-BA/high-OBP players rarely get their due from the masses regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, black jack said:

He didn't like players kneeling.  

So the snow flakes of the world assume he's wearing a white hood in his free time. 

You seem upset.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maloney.adam said:

Pretty slow day so far. 

Yea. It’s Sunday.

It’s also the middle of November. It’s also 2020.

Hip hip horray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man the surface is being scraped here. No one has mentioned Ron Gant flat out calling TLR a racist.  Also haven't seen the Kaepernik stuff mentioned, where he not only went after his anthem stance, but personally went after his activism, I haven't seen Adam Jones mentioned.  I haven't seen TLR attending racist rallies, supporting prison camps in Arizona and being anti-BLM mentioned.  I know there are others I am forgetting here, but this a pattern over decades.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Man the surface is being scraped here. No one has mentioned Ron Gant flat out calling TLR a racist.  Also haven't seen the Kaepernik stuff mentioned, where he not only went after his anthem stance, but personally went after his activism, I haven't seen Adam Jones mentioned.  I haven't seen TLR attending racist rallies, supporting prison camps in Arizona and being anti-BLM mentioned.  I know there are others I am forgetting here, but this a pattern over decades.

There are two sides to most arguments...protest or protest but not during something we hold sacred like the anthem, rally for a pro police demonstration or call the police bullies, support a tough love prison policy or advocate for leniency....I remember back in the day we could actually discuss these things and intellectually understand the other side.  Now we call one side of the argument "racists" and then smugly walk away.   "Racist" used to be the worst thing you could call someone...now it just means "the half of the population that disagrees with me".  We are stumbling towards the abyss.    

  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Yea. It’s Sunday.

It’s also the middle of November. It’s also 2020.

Hip hip horray.

Yeah you can tell it’s a slow day when people are talking about TLR in the Offseason Targets thread. Lol 😂 

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

There are two sides to most arguments...protest or protest but not during something we hold sacred like the anthem, rally for a pro police demonstration or call the police bullies, support a tough love prison policy or advocate for leniency....I remember back in the day we could actually discuss these things and intellectually understand the other side.  Now we call one side of the argument "racists" and then smugly walk away.   "Racist" used to be the worst thing you could call someone...now it just means "the half of the population that disagrees with me".  We are stumbling towards the abyss.    

It isn't one action, or even a couple here. It is a history,  and it is one that isn't coming from fans, it is coming from people he played for. But when you consistently come down again things that primarily go against a specific race or minorities in general,  it shouldn't be a surprise.  In fact Ron Gant publicly calling out TLR happened in 1999, so as much as the current reflex is pretend being called a racist in 2020 is meaningless for some reason, this isn't just a product of our modern political environment.  Tony was doing this long before the President gave people like him some cover.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gant didn't accuse LaRussa of racism or cite any racist conduct. He claimed several black players including himself didn't like him, from which it was inferred TLR is racist. There is a difference there. His actual behavioral complaints had to do with things like making out lineups. But his claims weren't corroborated by other alleged players and Gant ended up apologizing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philosophical musings aside, the bottom line is that if the man our team hired to be it's manager has a long standing reputation of disagreeing with many people of color on the issues most important to them, then this hire is bad for your team culture, off-putting to many fans, a detriment to your free agency dealings, and bad for your business. 

Yeah free agents will sign for the most money in a lot of cases, but oh by the way, outbidding the rest of the league isn't how this team has operated. Maybe things will be fine but don't ignore that you could have helped this team be in a better position in so many ways by not hiring this guy. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, zisk said:

TLR may or may not be a racist. It's well known he is a douche bag.

Well said.   I'm not naive to think racism doesn't exist still. I just believe it gets thrown around way to much these days in my opinion. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, R.J. said:

Philosophical musings aside, the bottom line is that if the man our team hired to be it's manager has a long standing reputation of disagreeing with many people of color on the issues most important to them, then this hire is bad for your team culture, off-putting to many fans, a detriment to your free agency dealings, and bad for your business. 

Yeah free agents will sign for the most money in a lot of cases, but oh by the way, outbidding the rest of the league isn't how this team has operated. Maybe things will be fine but don't ignore that you could have helped this team be in a better position in so many ways by not hiring this guy. 

So I would like to get your take on which free agents the Sox will sign this year since this is the offseason targets thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

So I would like to get your take on which free agents the Sox will sign this year since this is the offseason targets thread?

You're right.  It got off topic and I added to it, My mistake.  I'm cautiously excited for this offseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R.J. said:

Philosophical musings aside, the bottom line is that if the man our team hired to be it's manager has a long standing reputation of disagreeing with many people of color on the issues most important to them, then this hire is bad for your team culture, off-putting to many fans, a detriment to your free agency dealings, and bad for your business. 

Yeah free agents will sign for the most money in a lot of cases, but oh by the way, outbidding the rest of the league isn't how this team has operated. Maybe things will be fine but don't ignore that you could have helped this team be in a better position in so many ways by not hiring this guy. 

Hosts on the Score have speculated Jerry hired LaRussa to dissuade free agents from wanting to come here. There will likely be minimal to no fans allowed once again. Jerry and owners will likely pull the same bullshit as last year and lock players out again for a 40-60 game exhibition season and 16+ team playoff scheme, and then cancel 2022 and perhaps 2023 in an attempt to grab a few dollars extra in the next CBA. 

Perhaps Jerry can run out the entire clock on the White Sox competitive window if he lives long enough.

‘Finish in second place every single year because your fans will say ‘Wow, we’ve got a shot, we’re in it,’ but there’s always the carrot left. There’s always one more step to take.'”

- Jerry Reinsdorf's White Sox Mission Statement written in 1980

ElhFVAQXYAA3DAd.jpg

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hosts on the Score have speculated Jerry hired LaRussa to dissuade free agents from wanting to come here. There will likely be minimal to no fans allowed once again. Jerry and owners will likely pull the same bullshit as last year and lock players out again for a 40-60 game exhibition season and 16+ team playoff scheme, and then cancel 2022 and perhaps 2023 in an attempt to grab a few dollars extra in the next CBA. 

Perhaps Jerry can run out the entire clock on the White Sox competitive window if he lives long enough.

‘Finish in second place every single year because your fans will say ‘Wow, we’ve got a shot, we’re in it,’ but there’s always the carrot left. There’s always one more step to take.'”

- Jerry Reinsdorf's White Sox Mission Statement written in 1980

ElhFVAQXYAA3DAd.jpg

Which free agents do you think the Sox will sign?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hosts on the Score have speculated Jerry hired LaRussa to dissuade free agents from wanting to come here. There will likely be minimal to no fans allowed once again. Jerry and owners will likely pull the same bullshit as last year and lock players out again for a 40-60 game exhibition season and 16+ team playoff scheme, and then cancel 2022 and perhaps 2023 in an attempt to grab a few dollars extra in the next CBA. 

Perhaps Jerry can run out the entire clock on the White Sox competitive window if he lives long enough.

‘Finish in second place every single year because your fans will say ‘Wow, we’ve got a shot, we’re in it,’ but there’s always the carrot left. There’s always one more step to take.'”

- Jerry Reinsdorf's White Sox Mission Statement written in 1980

ElhFVAQXYAA3DAd.jpg

Do you know who PortillosHamburger is?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×