George Springer Thread

Squirmin' for Yermin

2 hours ago, smellysox said:

That's exactly what this reminds me of. If I were Springer or his agent I would so wait or encourage him to wait it out. With the sox history of being cheap.  I bet there's a team or two circling us right now like vultures. I'm not giving up yet. But this is the kind of thing that really makes being a sox fan difficult. Sox fans we are a special breed! Enduring pain, suffering, and low to below average payrolls. 

Didn't the Sox offer Wheeler 5/$118 to Wheeler ? Now admittedly Wheeler was younger but still a pitcher who the Sox hardly ever offer long term contracts. If the Sox are truly in on Springer I wouldn't be surprised to see them get him. Of course the situation can change if they splurge on pitching instead and that would probably mean they are out on Springer. To me it all depends on what they do 1st with their money.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Didn't the Sox offer Wheeler 5/$118 to Wheeler ? Now admittedly Wheeler was younger but still a pitcher who the Sox hardly ever offer long term contracts. If the Sox are truly in on Springer I wouldn't be surprised to see them get him. Of course the situation can change if they splurge on pitching instead and that would probably mean they are out on Springer. To me it all depends on what they do 1st with their money.

I just want to see some indication they’re going to spend

4 minutes ago, R.J. said:

Springer is such a perfect fit for this team, but he'll command a 5 year deal and if he takes the highest offer on the table it won't be from the White Sox. 

Perfect fit for the lineup, not so sure about the perfect fit for the team since starting pitching should be the 1st priority.

The White Sox offered 5/125 for Wheeler and the indication was that they had him. Sox have tried to land Springer in a similar fashion. This isn’t a Machado situation where you’re just waiting to get beat but it doesn’t seem like Springer is in any hurry and honestly he shouldn’t be. Everyone should wait for the Mets at this point. Stuff should start to move a bit after December 2 once the market gets super flooded.

I doubt players are knocking down the door to play in Toronto though. They typically have to be the highest offer to land a superstar in similar fashion to the Sox. 

• Like 3

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox offered 5/125 for Wheeler and the indication was that they had him. Sox have tried to land Springer in a similar fashion. This isn’t a Machado situation where you’re just waiting to get beat but it doesn’t seem like Springer is in any hurry and honestly he shouldn’t be. Everyone should wait for the Mets at this point. Stuff should start to move a bit after December 2 once the market gets super flooded.

I doubt players are knocking down the door to play in Toronto though. They typically have to be the highest offer to land a superstar in similar fashion to the Sox. 

Don’t you have something better to do!!!!   Congrats 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Damn if I had sources I could be a wise twitter pundit like you since I said the exact same thing a few posts up. And congrats ,too.

44 minutes ago, R.J. said:

Springer is such a perfect fit for this team, but he'll command a 5 year deal and if he takes the highest offer on the table it won't be from the White Sox. 

I disagree.  It really depends on what the Mets decide to do.  I think we can match Toronto from a financial standpoint and I’d argue we are a far more attractive destination outside of the wild card that is La Russa.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I disagree.  It really depends on what the Mets decide to do.  I think we can match Toronto from a financial standpoint and I’d argue we are a far more attractive destination outside of the wild card that is La Russa.

They don’t even know where their home field will be in 2021

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Let me ask you this James, do you believe our current offer is 4/$94M?  If true, that doesn’t seem like that aggressive of an offer to me.

Also, congrats on the birth of your son!  Love the name as my second son happens to be named Bennett Jack.  Hope you wife is doing well.

59 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes they were. They were a finalist for Tanaka too. Not sure how close they really were to the Yankees winning offer. But you are right. It does matter where the money is spent first.

The first offer isn’t necessarily the last one. If the reported 4/$94M is true and it’s the Sox first offer it doesn’t mean that’s where negotiations will finish unless the Sox are set on that number and they aren’t willing to go any higher than that. However, the 4/$94 isn’t really a bad deal. If they are truly that far apart, sometimes it’s best to just walk away and not overpay if the other party is asking for way more than you want to pay or what the market is set at. If it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be. The Sox have other needs and interests just like the other party does.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let me ask you this James, do you believe our current offer is 4/$94M?  If true, that doesn’t seem like that aggressive of an offer to me.

Also, congrats on the birth of your son!  Love the name as my second son happens to be named Bennett Jack.  Hope you wife is doing well.

Thanks man. I don’t have any specifics on money. I think $23.5 per sounds realistic though. No idea on number of years. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you want to sign a stud free agent it will always be a year too long.

It really astounds me how so many people here want stars yet don't want to ever overpay or give a year or 2 more than projected usefulness. That's just his free agency is and has been for quite a while now. You have to take these risks sometimes otherwise you end up being a team like... the White Sox. Yuck.

14 minutes ago, Orlando said:

We buying this guys?

I’ll be honest, some of these posts seem like an echo chamber to what we’re posting on here.  In this case, the White Sox having an edge over the Blue Jays is something several of literally just posted.  That being said, I do think the Mets prioritize Realmuto & pitching and go with a lesser CF option.

• Like 2