Tanaka Signs With Rakuten - 2yr/$17mm

Eminor3rd

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/masahiro-tanaka-return-japan-signs-rakuten-eagles.html

White Sox running out of pitchers to sign.

TBH, if he wasn't going to sign with Chicago, this was the best case scenario.

Could an MLB team really not beat that deal?  wtf. He must have just wanted to go back home.

Just now, hogan873 said:

Did he not get any offers from MLB teams better than 2/$17MM?  Or did he prefer to return to Japan?

It sounds like he wanted to stay with NYY above all else, but when that went out the door, it was going to take a significant amount of money to keep him in the MLB. Which is to say, there were higher offers here, but not higher ENOUGH offers.

Also, Jim Allen suggests that although it's a two-year deal, the Eagles have agreed that if Tanaka wants to go to MLB again in 2021, they'll release him.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Did he not get any offers from MLB teams better than 2/$17MM?  Or did he prefer to return to Japan?

The last I read on his over a week ago or so is that he was looking for 1/$15 mill. Guess it wasn't there and he decided to go home. Sucks because I feel he could have gotten it non-Covid offseasons.

There are still suprisingly some guys I wouldn't mind for our 5th for 2 months/injury relief. I didn't need a stud.  Just wanted innings.  Gimme 2 low guys at the minimum , for additional depth, and I'd be happy.  Thinking Rodon and Samardzija AS EXAMPLES

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

29 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

There are still suprisingly some guys I wouldn't mind for our 5th for 2 months/injury relief. I didn't need a stud.  Just wanted innings.  Gimme 2 low guys at the minimum , for additional depth, and I'd be happy.  Thinking Rodon and Samardzija AS EXAMPLES

You lost me at "I wanted Innings so Carlos Rodon is an option". 

• Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I just want 2 guys low guys.  Samardzija can give me the innings.  Rodon would be more of the upside play

I want nothing to do with a guy who is getting paid $4 million, can't stay healthy, has to be moved to the bullpen just to get him back onto the roster after an injury, and who then has/lets his wife publicly call out the team on Twitter for putting him in the bullpen to get him back on the active roster. However that went down, that is not acceptable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I want nothing to do with a guy who is getting paid $4 million, can't stay healthy, has to be moved to the bullpen just to get him back onto the roster after an injury, and who then has/lets his wife publicly call out the team on Twitter for putting him in the bullpen to get him back on the active roster. However that went down, that is not acceptable.

I can't imagine he is going to get anything close to 4

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The tax rate? I just did a quick Google search. There might be more to it.

They definitely have a progressive rate, he's going to be paying a 45% rate on quite a bit of his income. I think the flat tax of 10% is to account for their workforce that works in multiple countries, and their japan income would get at least 10%. But they have a progressive personal income tax.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

It sounds like he wanted to stay with NYY above all else, but when that went out the door, it was going to take a significant amount of money to keep him in the MLB. Which is to say, there were higher offers here, but not higher ENOUGH offers.

Also, Jim Allen suggests that although it's a two-year deal, the Eagles have agreed that if Tanaka wants to go to MLB again in 2021, they'll release him.

So you are basically saying if the Yankees decide they eventually want Tanaka, such as at the trade deadline, they can just reach out and get him if they can come to terms. Tanaka probably doesn't do it with another team unless he gets a much better offer. So Tanaka willing to give Yanks hometown discount and forgive them for not signing him and forcing him back to Japan ?

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you are basically saying if the Yankees decide they eventually want Tanaka, such as at the trade deadline, they can just reach out and get him if they can come to terms. Tanaka probably doesn't do it with another team unless he gets a much better offer. So Tanaka willing to give Yanks hometown discount and forgive them for not signing him and forcing him back to Japan ?

No, looks like I typo'd the year. I meant if he wants to go again in 2022.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I'm really grossed out by how MLB is so indifferent about other leagues being legitimate competition for top talent. Go NPB, keep retaining and taking mlb talent. 

It helps with owner collusion. Owners have operated with a de facto salary cap for decades, but unlike the other North American leagues, they do not include significant revenue streams, and lie / obfuscate at every turn.

The players really need to stand firm to gain a legitimate share of the revenue, and restore competitive integrity because the owners clearly have no interest in either.

Jerry had no qualms taking the lead among ownership to destroy baseball and the Union, the one other time he had a team with a legitimate long term window (1990s). He wants a 16 team playoff so he can dangle a fourth place carrot.

5 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Super Nova !