Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

44 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I know posting random names gives caulfield a dopamine rush, but none of these guys are much better than Leury. Inciarte would be fine I guess, but we need to acquire either an impact player or just ride it out.

And your solution?

It’s easy to criticize, but how about a constructive solution other than Leury Garcia in CF?

Why not Japan or Korea?

Why not think outside the box for once?

Why can’t we afford to even have a handful of scouts cover the Pacific Rim?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Overall UZR ranks him as a positive CF in the shortish stints he’s had there. 

Then we will injure Gallo trying to cover up for Vaughn and an ailing Eaton.   

Who are we going to trade that would be attractive enough for Texas to throw in the towel when they just opened a new stadium?

Money isn't going to replace Eloy and Robert and the bullpen has been horrible.

It is a hard thing to face up to but realistically, this season is toast.

Maybe some silver linings on the dark clouds of 2021:

Vaughn, Collins and Mercedes get a lot of at bats in the majors to prove whether they can hit consistently. 

Pressure is off Kopech to start until he has built up arm strength.

Continue to develop Crochet on the fly including  some pre-game infield practice.

Assess the value of Rodon, Cease, Giolito  and others to  determine who might get  extended, for how much and who might be tradeable.

Allow Tony to manage these young players (respectfully) while looking for another Manager for next season.

And for the rest of us - enjoy watching the games without worrying who wins.,  Relax and maybe spend time in more useful pursuits over the summer.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who are we going to trade that would be attractive enough for Texas to throw in the towel when they just opened a new stadium?

I’d imagine it would be difficult and maybe not possible but considering his affordability and control in 2022 id imagine you have to start with Crochet as a headliner. Which is why this is difficult- the White Sox aren’t going to want to do that and probably shouldn’t.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's right! Who will Texas want in return? Plus, Texas has allowed 100% capacity so they won't cry poor and just dump Gallo. I'm afraid "big trades" might not realistically be an option for the White Sox. This isn't like going to the grocery store and buying a gallon of milk. There isn't an "all star outfield" aisle.  We didn't do/spend enough in the off season, we overrated our bullpen, and we've had a couple of catastrophic injuries. That's how history will assess this team when it's all said and done. Unless our bullpen suddenly becomes as dominant as they thought it would be. 

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Vaughn, Collins and Mercedes get a lot of at bats in the majors to prove whether they can hit consistently. 

Continue to develop Crochet on the fly including  some pre-game infield practice.

Assess the value of Rodon, Cease, Giolito  and others to  determine who might get  extended, for how much and who might be tradeable.

Allow Tony to manage these young players (respectfully) while looking for another Manager for next season.

And for the rest of us - enjoy watching the games without worrying who wins.,  Relax and maybe spend time in more useful pursuits over the summer.

I think the faster everyone accepts what you just said will make this incredibly catastrophic year just that much easier to deal with. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joemg311 said:

I can't wait until Tony starts playing Luis Gonzalez over Vaughn like he did with Nick Williams. It should have been Mendick up to cover the infield, let Luery play center until Engel returns with Hamilton as the backup outfielder. If you can upgrade Hamilton for little to nothing, then do it, but dont give up anything of value for a player that hopefully wont see the field after a few weeks.

Oh yeah, why wasn't Mendick called up instead.

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Oh yeah, why wasn't Mendick called up instead.

Engel being able to hit well enough after so much time off...and not get reinjured when his game relies so much on speed...we can hardly rely upon such a solution for the remainder of the season.

It’s one thing when he had no pressure to produce as a complementary contributor.  This won’t be the case already missing 2 of our core hitters.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy will probably be back in August. Bring in a competent centerfielder and try to stay in the playoff hunt til then. Eloy and a competent CF should still be good enough to compete in the AL. 

20 minutes ago, tray said:

14 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I think the faster everyone accepts what you just said will make this incredibly catastrophic year just that much easier to deal with. 

Hell no to this line of thinking. I thought the tank years were over.  The Sox can't keep kicking the can down the road another year and waiting for a "contention window" that may never open.  It's time for Hahn to get on the phone and start doing some work. No prospects should be untouchable at this point except Kopech. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CF is going to be harder to acquire anyone for. There just aren't that many. Maybe TBR trades keiermeyer, is that better than Engel? No idea. Engel may not be a player this year. Is he better than Leury - probably.

You could probably improve a corner easier.

I'd go after KB, don't care (cowards).

Otherwise, my plan A would be to target Cincinnati, see where their heads at. Naquin would be stabilizing. Castellanos salary dump seems possible, but maybe they don't care. We have no idea. Everyone except the tigers is in it right now.

Tommy Pham, maybe (very little confidence him being good again). Maybe Dodgers are a big believer in DJ Peters and AJ Pollock becomes available.

Those all seem somewhat possible. Gallo seems expensive, but yes, I would trade a package around our young pitchers for him.

Honestly I would call Markakis at this point and be like "hey we are getting a bunch of old retired people back together on this team any interest?"

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Eloy will probably be back in August. Bring in a competent centerfielder and try to stay in the playoff hunt til then. Eloy and a competent CF should still be good enough to compete in the AL. 

This list really is exceedingly small. I think I could circle Keiermeyer, Naquin as possible. 

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

This list really is exceedingly small. I think I could circle Keiermeyer, Naquin as possible. 

Heyward makes too much sense.

Average in CF with experience there.

Team that is selling parts and off to a bad start.

Veteran, generally consistent for the last 5 years.

Overpaid. All you have to do is figure out a dollar amount for the Cubs to pick up.

Could take over for Eaton if a 2022 season happens.

Can platoon with Engel if he ever comes back.

Played for the Cardinals so LaRussa will bench Williams and Hamilton for him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’d imagine it would be difficult and maybe not possible but considering his affordability and control in 2022 id imagine you have to start with Crochet as a headliner. Which is why this is difficult- the White Sox aren’t going to want to do that and probably shouldn’t.

Gallo sounds good to me.  Left handed bat with a high OBP and massive power. Dude won a gold glove last year too. 

Dealing Crochet for Gallo is a no brainer for me. Let another team deal with Crochet's inevitable arm injuries. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

I loathe the lack of minor league season last year. I feel like we have guys who might have been / knocking on the door of the Top 100 list if there had been.

That's OK. If they got personalized development and training, it honestly might have been even better for their development. We'll see this year.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's OK. If they got personalized development and training, it honestly might have been even better for their development. We'll see this year.

Let me rephrase that: I'm loathing it in the specific instance, because they'd be more attractive to other teams that didn't get to see their development and growth.

1 hour ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Gallo sounds good to me.  Left handed bat with a high OBP and massive power. Dude won a gold glove last year too. 

Dealing Crochet for Gallo is a no brainer for me. Let another team deal with Crochet's inevitable arm injuries. 

Getting Gallo or any other corner OF is not the solution. That just forces Engel to play a subpar CF defensively speaking. 

Edit: I meant Eaton

Edited by y2chae