Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

If you really want to go for it, trade some of your better prospects for Kris Bryant.  He looks incredible this year and would instantly be their best slugger.

Yeah, I'd be leery of the Cubs asking price, but then again, they gave up Darvish for absolute pennys on the dollar.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

If you really want to go for it, trade some of your better prospects for Kris Bryant.  He looks incredible this year and would instantly be their best slugger.

He's probably gonna cost us whatever we have left in the farm. Might even need to give them Crochet for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Yeah, I'd be leery of the Cubs asking price, but then again, they gave up Darvish for absolute pennys on the dollar.

They weren't trading him to a team across town. I bet we'd have to pay a premium.

37 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

There are more players and prospects that can be traded besides Eloy Vaughn or Mercedes.  It doesn't have to be only them that will be able to turn around this season which frankly isn't over by a long shot

I'm the 1st one to say it's a long season and even said the Robert injury could be a blessing in disguise just as the Eloy injury has been so far in providing opportunities to Vaughn and Mercedes. But it's one thing to lose a power hitting, bad fielding, injury prone OF and yet another to lose your best defensive and perhaps the most valuable player overall along with Eloy for an extended period of time.

I know what I have been proposing is out there but I'm trying to figure out what can realistically be done to save this season because it could also go south very quickly. I'd like some other suggestions then besides mine to make the team better in the immediate future besides just hoping the Sox can survive. That way I don't have to feel the brunt of Tapia sucks, I don't trust Mercedes, Eloy is the future, let's wait it out stuff.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Just now, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

I would send Garrett Crochet across town for Bryant in a heartbeat.  I'm talking a trade today though not one one July 31.

I don’t know that they’d say yes, but you’d have their attention with that offer today.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They have Giolito, Keuchal, Cease and kopech signed for next year. That leaves one spot. I would sign Lynn for 2-3 years before Rodon.

Keuchel will be 34, Cease has one good start this year and Kopech will be in his 1st year of starting . How confident are you in the Sox finding a #2 starting pitcher . FA ? Trade ? That's what you will need to make a World Series next year and that's only if Cease can become good and Kopech can be good starting for a whole season. Too may variables.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

You can get someone much better than Tapia without thinking about trading Eloy. Eloy has like 70 trade value on Baseball Trade Values. Tapia has negative value. 

I'm open to your suggestions. When Eloy comes back you have 2 DH's and a 1st baseman playing LF. Not terribly versatile and a detriment for going deep into the playoffs and a bigger one for the World Series.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

Or maybe Robert is only a few weeks?

If that's the case, a lot of problems could be solved by La Russa yanking his head out of his ass and stop his "earn playing time" bullshit with Vaughn and Madrigal and putting Engel and Mendick on the bench instead of Lamb and Leury. 

If it's worse than a few weeks, well, they should still do the above things, but they can trade for an OF, but they should probably trade a minor league pitcher (such as Thompson) before jettisoning core pieces like Eloy, Vaughn, and now possibly Mercedes.

I mean, honestly, you'd want to try and sell astronomically high on Mercedes before trading Eloy. It'd be dumb to trade Yermin right now, but it'd be dumber to trade Eloy.

I’m not sure using logic and reason will going to sway opinions here or with octogenarian managers/owners. 

The only way to solve Tony’s lineups, assuming he can’t be fired, is to DFA Lamb and tell Tony Hamilton, and then Leury are the next to go if played regularly over starters or better bench options. If Hahn isn’t authorized to manage La Russa than let the dumpster fire continue until he leaves.

Lineup: TA 6 NM 4 YM 5 JA 3 YM 10 AE 9 AV 7 YG/ZC 2 AEn 8

Bench: DM ZC LG BH.

DFA: Lamb

Edited by South Side Hit Men

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t know that they’d say yes, but you’d have their attention with that offer today.

Bryant will be much sought after. The Cubs will wait until the trade deadline and take the best offer. How confident are you the Sox have the best offer and that the Cubs actually trade him to the Sox ?

12 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

I would send Garrett Crochet across town for Bryant in a heartbeat.  I'm talking a trade today though not one one July 31.

Lol for 75% of a season on Bryant?  Gross.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol for 75% of a season on Bryant?  Gross.  

Not to mention pigs will fly out of Jerry’s behind before Jerry eats even two months of KB’s contract.

Jarod Dyson was an “aggressive move” at last year’s deadline, with only one month of contracts to eat and a starting playoff rotation consisting of Lucas, Keuchel and duct tape.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Bryant will be much sought after. The Cubs will wait until the trade deadline and take the best offer. How confident are you the Sox have the best offer and that the Cubs actually trade him to the Sox ?

If the White Sox put Crochet on the table they'd have a competitive offer, and now we are talking about whether the secondary pieces satisfy them. The biggest problem is not whether or not the White Sox could assemble a winning offer. It's that Bryant has $16 million remaining on his deal as of now. The Cubs would be motivated to get something done soon to clear that salary - however, I find it difficult to believe that the White Sox organization that was out of money in January suddenly is willing to add that kind of money.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’m not sure using logic and reason will going to sway opinions here or with octogenarian managers/owners. 

The only way to solve Tony’s lineups, assuming he can’t be fired, is to DFA Lamb and tell Tony Hamilton, and then Leury are the next to go if played regularly over starters or better bench options. If Hahn isn’t authorized to manage La Russa than let the dumpster fire continue until he leaves.

Lineup: TA 6 NM 4 YM 5 JA 3 YM 10 AE 9 AV 7 YG/ZC 2 AEn 8

Bench: DM ZC LG BH.

DFA: Lamb

You're assuming that someone other than Tony La Russa is in charge of the roster.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm open to your suggestions. When Eloy comes back you have 2 DH's and a 1st baseman playing LF. Not terribly versatile and a detriment for going deep into the playoffs and a bigger one for the World Series.

Sox need Abreu and Grandal to show up this year. If they continue to underperform so badly, it’s going to be nearly impossible to make the postseason. Personally, I think the Royals are a lot better than people give them credit for.  Hard to imagine the Sox running away with this.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox put Crochet on the table they'd have a competitive offer, and now we are talking about whether the secondary pieces satisfy them. The biggest problem is not whether or not the White Sox could assemble a winning offer. It's that Bryant has $16 million remaining on his deal as of now. The Cubs would be motivated to get something done soon to clear that salary - however, I find it difficult to believe that the White Sox organization that was out of money in January suddenly is willing to add that kind of money.

I took that into consideration with my "how confident are you that the Sox have the best offer" comment, because if you make that offer that means you already are willing to take on the salary.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I took that into consideration with my "how confident are you that the Sox have the best offer" comment, because if you make that offer that means you already are willing to take on the salary.

FWIW I’ve heard that Tony has told colleagues the Sox can add payroll at the deadline 

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You're assuming that someone other than Tony La Russa is in charge of the roster.

No, it’s pretty clear Ethan Katz was the only acquisition not initiated by Tony this off-season, hence the qualification of letting the dumpster fire continue.

As much as I have criticized Hahn, I don’t believe he would be in agreement of finding new positions for Jake Lamb to learn, playing Leury regularly, or leading the league in 110 + pitch outings. Frankly I was surprised Lucroy and Williams were jettisoned.

Bottom line is Soxtalk wanted Ricky gone, I wanted the FO gone with a Bulls type makeover, and someone else making the manager hire. Similar to a Twilight Zone episode, the Faustian bargain didn’t turn out as hoped or planned.

Best I can hope for is Tony is happy after reaching #2 on the wins list, leaves after the season and a competent manager is hired who can lead the team to a World Series win.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Keuchel will be 34, Cease has one good start this year and Kopech will be in his 1st year of starting . How confident are you in the Sox finding a #2 starting pitcher . FA ? Trade ? That's what you will need to make a World Series next year and that's only if Cease can become good and Kopech can be good starting for a whole season. Too may variables.

I think Cease is a good pitcher. Not the top maybe but that's where Giolito and Kopech come in. There are too many variables in every pitching staff except maybe the Dodgers but we know that no other team will spend like that. There will never be assurances on any pitching staff. The Sox have very good talent and it is developing. 

regardless of what many think, the starting staff will include Giolito, Keuchal, Cease and Kopech barring injury this year. No team is going to sit pitchers under contract if healthy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

No, it’s pretty clear Ethan Katz was the only acquisition not initiated by Tony this off-season, hence the qualification of letting the dumpster fire continue.

As much as I have criticized Hahn, I don’t believe he would be in agreement of finding new positions for Jake Lamb to learn, playing Leury regularly, or leading the league in 110 + pitch outings. Frankly I was surprised Lucroy and Williams were jettisoned.

Bottom line is Soxtalk wanted Ricky gone, I wanted the FO gone with a Bulls type makeover, and someone else making the manager hire. Similar to a Twilight Zone episode, the Faustian bargain didn’t turn out as hoped or planned.

Best I can hope for is Tony is happy after reaching #2 on the wins list, leaves after the season and a competent manager is hired who can lead the team to a World Series win.

I would disagree. The Bulls FO hadn't shown the ability to put together a good roster. The Sox FO has put together a good roster and looks to be for a few years. Many FO and people around baseball agree the sox have built a pretty good team. The should be allowed to see it through.

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox need Abreu and Grandal to show up this year. If they continue to underperform so badly, it’s going to be nearly impossible to make the postseason. Personally, I think the Royals are a lot better than people give them credit for.  Hard to imagine the Sox running away with this.

Agreed. The primary issue for the Sox is that too many of their important veterans are not performing. All of the shuffling that TLR is doing is inconsequential if these guys don't hit.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think Cease is a good pitcher. Not the top maybe but that's where Giolito and Kopech come in. There are too many variables in every pitching staff except maybe the Dodgers but we know that no other team will spend like that. There will never be assurances on any pitching staff. The Sox have very good talent and it is developing. 

regardless of what many think, the starting staff will include Giolito, Keuchal, Cease and Kopech barring injury this year. No team is going to sit pitchers under contract if healthy.

But the question still remains is that good enough to win a World Series ? I know you just enjoy baseball and winning is secondary but the goal for most here is to win a World Series and established quality pitching, barring injury as you say, are much more likely to provide, well, certainty , rather than 3 of the 4 you named being, for lack of a better word, uncertainties.