Sign in to follow this  
Chisoxfn

COVID Thread Part Deux

ugh. Just so someone says this, the scientific evidence over the last few months has come down hard on the side that this was a zoonotic virus, circulating in some population of animals, that spilled over to humans and went wild after an early super-spreader event at the Wuhan animal market last December. There's case tracing, there's testing of family members of people who work at the lab, and there is some extremely powerful DNA evidence on the side of this. While the Chinese government remains uncooperative for reasons that are unknown, and for that reason the hypothesis of something else deserved testing, right now the evidence is strongly on the side of "virus that was out there in some animal population, yet to be identified".

42 minutes ago, greg775 said:

3. Maybe we need a viable third party in government. There's talk Yang is starting one. Like Bill Maher said last night we talk politics too much (watch his great interview on Kimmel). We're too engrossed with politics now (it started when Trump came on the scene sparking unabashed anger from the Behars of the world and turned into derangement almost) and we need to stop talking politics 24/7 or close to 24/7 when we're not looking into what's happening with our fave sports teams. I really like Maher at times.

I've stopped listening to Bill Maher a long time ago. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ok so let's break that down for a second, they don't trust China, who Trump blamed immediately.  Now we know it's from China, now we don't trust Fauci and Biden and the US government, and China.  Ok great so this is validation, correct?  How does this work?   

It's pretty simple. If they lied, they lied. Conspiracy theorists would have a field day as their accusations would be validated.

If it shown that people were lying about the origin of the virus, it will sow distrust in the whole system. As others have said, I don't think the origin story will change, but if it did it will give the radicals more ammunition for their distrust.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's pretty simple. If they lied, they lied. Conspiracy theorists would have a field day as their accusations would be validated.

If it shown that people were lying about the origin of the virus, it will sow distrust in the whole system. As others have said, I don't think the origin story will change, but if it did it will give the radicals more ammunition for their distrust.

I just don't think that it changes a damn thing in the amount of distrust there.  Those people are dug in on that conspiracy, the blame that is somehow validated doesn't make them do anything different.  There are the people that believe in the science of it and the people that believe that they know better than the science.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

3. Maybe we need a viable third party in government. There's talk Yang is starting one. Like Bill Maher said last night we talk politics too much (watch his great interview on Kimmel). We're too engrossed with politics now (it started when Trump came on the scene sparking unabashed anger from the Behars of the world and turned into derangement almost) and we need to stop talking politics 24/7 or close to 24/7 when we're not looking into what's happening with our fave sports teams. I really like Maher at times.

We need a 3rd party, but Yang sure isn't the one to start it. We need people who are between the two parties, not farther left or right than them.

• Like 2

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

We need a 3rd party, but Yang sure isn't the one to start it. We need people who are between the two parties, not farther left or right than them.

It would take sooooooo much for a third party to overcome the establishment.  I really don't think I will see that in my lifetime

• Like 1

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

It would take sooooooo much for a third party to overcome the establishment.  I really don't think I will see that in my lifetime

Oh I agree it's a near impossibility, but that doesn't mean that we don't need it.

If the 30 most moderate Republican Senators and the 30 most moderate Democratic Senators all got together and decided that they were going to get stuff done, they could accomplish a lot.

The Democratic party has control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency and they can't get anything done because their most moderate and most progressive members are so far apart politically they can't agree on anything. At that point the party as it exists no longer works.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I just don't think that it changes a damn thing in the amount of distrust there.  Those people are dug in on that conspiracy, the blame that is somehow validated doesn't make them do anything different.  There are the people that believe in the science of it and the people that believe that they know better than the science.

Ok. I disagree that proof of the establishment lying to the world wouldn't change anything.

• Thanks 1

So this happened today.

Let's see, important details - they already previously authorized boosters for immune compromised individuals because they know we're a freaking mess, so that wasn't this group.

The fundamental data here is that the first 2 shots in you normal people produce a set of antibodies that seem to fade over 6-12 months, and those antibodies are the direct shield against infection. However, the protection against severe disease appears essentially unaffected - basically you can get it in your nose, you can get sick, but even if the antibodies decrease over time, the vaccine has trained the immune system well enough to target the virus that it kills off the virus before the virus can kill you, by making more antibodies and such. 

A booster shot has been tested in Israel and it has been shown to massively increase the body's antibody response, which could well restore a strong immunity against infection. However, there are problems - first, that would take shots away from countries lower on the list. Second, and this seems to have been a bigger problem for the FDA - Israel's data is almost entirely in an elderly population, so Pfizer was asking the FDA to approve something for an age group that hasn't been tested yet. So, if you're 65 or older, or otherwise at high risk, they've recommended it, but they won't go outside the data to approve it for the general population, which I have a hard time arguing against. Tell Pfizer to come back with more complete data to demonstrate safety and usefulness in a full population - they haven't demonstrated that booster shots to everyone will affect the course of the pandemic based on this data.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

There are the people that believe in the science of it and the people that believe that they know better than the science.

What about a third group that includes me? I don't trust Fauci. I don't trust politicians Republican or Democrat now, although if prodded I will admit I currently am a fan of two three elected government officials, that's it. I won't name them since it will cause an argument.

And yet I got the vaccine twice and will get the booster. So what group are people like me in? I don't believe in the science of it currently. And I cerainly don't think I know better than the science.

3 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I've stopped listening to Bill Maher a long time ago. 

I think he cares and he's trying. Some of his monologues on the woke nonsense are outstanding. And I do think his heart is in the right place trying to save America from itself. He's proving you can be upset at both sides, the far left and the radical right. He is a liberal; I am conservative yet I like him much. Howard is way liberal; I am conservative yet I love Howard as well.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

What about a third group that includes me? I don't trust Fauci. I don't trust politicians Republican or Democrat now, although if prodded I will admit I currently am a fan of two three elected government officials, that's it. I won't name them since it will cause an argument.

And yet I got the vaccine twice and will get the booster. So what group are people like me in? I don't believe in the science of it currently. And I cerainly don't think I know better than the science.

I dunno, perpetually confused about everything?   You decide.  Or don't.  I don't care.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

You say that, but your talking points say otherwise.