MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ll be surprised if the starting pitcher hole isn’t plugged by one of the three A’s guys available, and that won’t happen for a few months.  

This is White Sox tactic A, always -- yield prospects for short-term pitching propositions, not dollars for long-term ones.  

It's what got us Lance Lynn.

It's also what resulted in us giving up Gio Gonzalez, Marcus Semien, and Chris Bassitt, who were all better than the short-term turds they were traded for. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I really think we might see Conforto, Kimbrel for Segura + Marchan, and prospects for A’s starter be the bulk of our remaining moves.

One thing I didn’t realize is we are dangerously close to the luxury tax under the current CBA ($22.6M below).  I could see us pushing a $190M cash payroll, but Jerry paying any sort of luxury tax seems questionable at best.  Obviously that threshold could change in the upcoming CBA, but that’s an angle I was never concerned about until now.

I would be happy with that offseason honestly, depending on what they give up for one of the A’s starters.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Man, there’s going to be a mini-meltdown on here if we see Conforto sign elsewhere. 

Matz and Gray were the only two signings so far I wish the Sox would have done in terms of likely budget and their value vs. what they signed for. 

The most likely chance to improve is likely via trade with Oakland or another team looking to dump salary.

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Ah. I just don’t think the Mets spending is because they’re pissed about Matz. The owner just wants to win at any cost, is worth billions, and doesn’t care what it takes to sign someone he wants.

I don't think they'd go this hard if the Matz thing didn't happen the way it did. For Scherzer to sign with the Mets, they must have really outbid everyone else. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can’t imagine what my blood pressure raised to when I saw the tweet he was going to the Padres

All I remember was we were sure there was going to be a signing if we got the thread up above 300 pages. 😆

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

And it would be huge. 

And sorry Bassitt, Montas, who is 3rd?

Why do the Sox have to continue to trade assets (they're running out of ones of value) to supplement the core? Why do we continue to pretend that it's exciting that the Sox insist on trading assets to fill holes instead of just spending money as they promised?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why do the Sox have to continue to trade assets (they're running out of ones of value) to supplement the core? Why do we continue to pretend that it's exciting that the Sox insist on trading assets to fill holes instead of just spending money as they promised?

How many teams only supplement their cores via free agency?

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

All I remember was we were sure there was going to be a signing if we got the thread up above 300 pages. 😆

That's true. My favorite part is there were always multiple discussions going on. Some relevant to Manny some not but always 20-30 people on. Made getting my mind off work easy.