The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you are ok with the Pirates and Rockies and Marlins just not caring? It’s ok if they win 65 games a year forever? No downside to The league if they don’t develop fans over time? As long as they’re profitable I shouldn’t dare judge them because profitability is the highest morality? Because that’s what you’re arguing with this malarkey.

That's not even remotely what I wrote. Personal greed is killing America and destroying the middle class. Forty years of tax breaks for the richest Americans has shifted the tax burden to the middle class. So no, I'm not OK with that shit. How badly do you always want to twist my words? 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

That's not even remotely what I wrote. Personal greed is killing America and destroying the middle class. Forty years of tax breaks for the richest Americans has shifted the tax burden to the middle class. So no, I'm not OK with that shit. How badly do you always want to twist my words? 

You literally just wrote that demanding more from those franchises was equal to taxing away all profits from a dry cleaner. 

And is something we should do. If folks aren't going to invest those profits back into their businesses by perhaps paying their employees better wages or improving their communities, they should be paying higher taxes. 

Now to watch you twist that to fit your narrative. 

Why haven't MiLB players unionized? I'm thinking about the people who depend on MLB to earn a living and thinking most of them are deserving raises. If we're going to move insane profits from owners to anybody else I would much rather see those profits moved to MiLB players and the rest of the employees. The MiLB players shouldn't be arguing about sharing a room while at home. Pay them a livable wage and not making housing a part of the deal. That's just a way to keep from paying them a decent wage. The same for the rest of the front office, ticket offices, vendors, etc. And stop giving these teams millions or billions in tax breaks. They should be paying to make the communities they serve better. But instead the guys with the union who are already making wages that put them among the elite money earners in the world will grab millions more and all the folks struggling to earn a living stay the same. It just doesn't seem fair. 

• Thanks 2

This ESPN piece on that subject from a few months ago seems excellent. Even some of the Supreme Court Justices have suggested that this is a matter that should be collectively bargained. However, it’s a case where all the power is in the hands of the owners and they can intimidate their employees to prevent them from speaking up or organizing - someone who has spent 10 years trying to be a baseball player through high school, college, and a lower level or two, who gets cut and casually labeled a “trouble maker” in a few whispers could easily have their career ended.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32172108/can-union-fix-minor-leaguers-say-poverty-level-pay-poor-housing-driving-mental-health-crisis

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Why haven't MiLB players unionized? I'm thinking about the people who depend on MLB to earn a living and thinking most of them are deserving raises. If we're going to move insane profits from owners to anybody else I would much rather see those profits moved to MiLB players and the rest of the employees. The MiLB players shouldn't be arguing about sharing a room while at home. Pay them a livable wage and not making housing a part of the deal. That's just a way to keep from paying them a decent wage. The same for the rest of the front office, ticket offices, vendors, etc. And stop giving these teams millions or billions in tax breaks. They should be paying to make the communities they serve better. But instead the guys with the union who are already making wages that put them among the elite money earners in the world will grab millions more and all the folks struggling to earn a living stay the same. It just doesn't seem fair. 

Am I to understand that all owners are in the same boat on this?  Why would this be?  It seems that some owner/owners would be more generous than others when dealing with employees.  These are people who made millions in the normal workplace and most employers have a degree of fairness in the employee ranks IMO.  Not all business owners are self-indulgent money grubbers any more than every employee is a lazy not too bright malingerer.

1 hour ago, zisk said:

negotiations will get serious March 28th

You may be right about this. Here we are, on the edge of February, and there is no CBA. Unless something serious happens real soon, spring training will be pushed back and so will the regular season. Usually, this is the time fans look forward to spring and baseball. Instead, we are limbo because we really don't know how far this is going to progress. Unless we see something substantial happen, I am assuming we are losing a part of the season.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 3:20 PM, poppysox said:

Am I to understand that all owners are in the same boat on this?  Why would this be?  It seems that some owner/owners would be more generous than others when dealing with employees.  These are people who made millions in the normal workplace and most employers have a degree of fairness in the employee ranks IMO.  Not all business owners are self-indulgent money grubbers any more than every employee is a lazy not too bright malingerer.

Every player and every owner has to honor this new agreement so using generic owner and generic player terminology is easiest.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Every player and every owner has to honor this new agreement so using generic owner and generic player terminology is easiest.

I am referring to the minor leaguers.  If no union represents the minors then I would assume some owners would be more generous in their housing allowances, per diem, and even salaries.

Just now, poppysox said:

I am referring to the minor leaguers.  If no union represents the minors then I would assume some owners would be more generous in their housing allowances, per diem, and even salaries.

The MLB teams pay the players. And I'm certain some team owners are better than others.

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The MLB teams pay the players. And I'm certain some team owners are better than others.

It would be interesting to know how the WS stack up with the other 29 teams in their treatment of the minor league guys.  I would certainly feel kindly toward my owner if I were to learn he was among the leaders in generosity to those players.

Chicago media sure as hell isn't going to take ownership to task.  They are almost all trained puppies waiting for their access.  They break nothing.  They don't step out of line.  That's why most everything that breaks out of Chicago is broken by someone in another market.  The Chicago media market is a joke.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Chicago media sure as hell isn't going to take ownership to task.  They are almost all trained puppies waiting for their access.  They break nothing.  They don't step out of line.  That's why most everything that breaks out of Chicago is broken by someone in another market.  The Chicago media market is a joke.

This is true as the Chicago media rarely criticizes the owners. And if there is a dispute between the fans and the owners, the media will side against the fans every time. It would be nice to know some inside information on the lockout. Things don't look good, but it is hard to say what is truly going on. 

1 minute ago, NWINFan said:

This is true as the Chicago media rarely criticizes the owners. And if there is a dispute between the fans and the owners, the media will side against the fans every time. It would be nice to know some inside information on the lockout. Things don't look good, but it is hard to say what is truly going on. 

Which is why we get nothing but silence.  They are cowards.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which is why we get nothing but silence.  They are cowards.

I think the Chicago media on the print side is kind of a mess. Isn't the Sun Times now owned by a nonprofit? The Tribune has had so many owners. I would guess the formerly great Arlington Heights newspaper has been cut to shreds in terms of staff size. Does anybody even know where the Trib is located now? It's not in the iconic Tribune building anymore. I'm not sure about the Athletic or publications like that if they cover the Chicago teams well or not. Weren't there a few websites that did a good job?

As far as the work stoppage, I am old fashioned but I still say with so many problems in the world today (is it just me or is COVID suddenly out of the news cycle? Don't hear much about COVID anymore) baseball is further killing itself if it delays the season til summertime. Just get an agreement in place. Spring training starting on time is important to America's psyche which nobody seems to care about anymore.

Woe is us without baseball (at least the age demographic that still cares about baseball at all).

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I think the Chicago media on the print side is kind of a mess. Isn't the Sun Times now owned by a nonprofit? The Tribune has had so many owners. I would guess the formerly great Arlington Heights newspaper has been cut to shreds in terms of staff size. Does anybody even know where the Trib is located now? It's not in the iconic Tribune building anymore. I'm not sure about the Athletic or publications like that if they cover the Chicago teams well or not. Weren't there a few websites that did a good job?

As far as the work stoppage, I am old fashioned but I still say with so many problems in the world today (is it just me or is COVID suddenly out of the news cycle? Don't hear much about COVID anymore) baseball is further killing itself if it delays the season til summertime. Just get an agreement in place. Spring training starting on time is important to America's psyche which nobody seems to care about anymore.

Woe is us without baseball (at least the age demographic that still cares about baseball at all).

The Sun-Times just got bought by WBEZ (Chicago Public Media), which is phenomenal for journalism in Chicago. The Athletic is top tier coverage.

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

While the purchase is long from completed, I will say that not for profits are some of my favorite news sources.  Not having a multi-media conglomerate to satisfy the political leanings of allows them more freedom than just about anyone else to report facts instead of telling a story with those facts.  Give me PBS over anything Fox, MSNBC, or owned by someone like Sinclair, etc.

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The internet has changed things so much, and sports sections just aren't what they used to be.  I don't think fans get their information from the print media anymore. 

You are right in that MLB cannot let this situation go on like this. I don't see just what the owners will gain if they alienate fans like they did in 1994-1995. In the long run, will they really gain that much if they break the union? There has to be a better way than this. I cannot imagine what fan reaction will be if opening day is on June 1.