Josh Donaldson called Tim Anderson "Jackie"

Buehrle>Wood

6 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Yeah, that does seem pretty pretentious.

Not what he said...at all.  Read the entire story for context.  He wasn't saying he was going to make the Hall of Fame as a player or anything like that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tim-anderson-compares-himself-to-jackie-robinson-slams-mlb-offices-on-diversity-054429037.html

Anderson is decidedly new school. And he told SI that his approach is blazing a new path, comparing himself to an icon of American sports progress.

“I kind of feel like today’s Jackie Robinson,” Anderson said. “That’s huge to say. But it’s cool, man, because he changed the game, and I feel like I’m getting to a point to where I need to change the game.”

Shouldn't we also blame the White Sox PR team for pushing that "change the game" tagline on Tim?

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I've never heard any Hispanic player say they feel like they are  today's Robert Clemente.  And if someone did make a statement like that, I could imagine them getting teased about it as well.

Does Madrigal saying he wants 3000 hits count?

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not what he said...at all.  Read the entire story for context.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tim-anderson-compares-himself-to-jackie-robinson-slams-mlb-offices-on-diversity-054429037.html

Anderson is decidedly new school. And he told SI that his approach is blazing a new path, comparing himself to an icon of American sports progress.

“I kind of feel like today’s Jackie Robinson,” Anderson said. “That’s huge to say. But it’s cool, man, because he changed the game, and I feel like I’m getting to a point to where I need to change the game.”

I think it's pretty pretentious for a young player to declare he's getting to a point where he needs to change the game.  

10 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I've never heard any Hispanic player say they feel like they are  today's Robert Clemente.  And if someone did make a statement like that, I could imagine them getting teased about it as well.

It’s always the Latin or the Caribbean ball players who are seen as flashy and who have to respect the game,” says Varela. “You never hear about it with Mike Trout or other people, but it’s when it comes to the ‘flashy’ Dominicans, right? All of the sudden [they’re] causing problems. They’re ruining baseball. They’re ruining tradition.”

The challenging of tradition in the MLB aligns with the global challenging of structural racism. Systems, norms, values, and narratives are being criticized and reimagined in every capacity.  

“The Jackie Robinson story, as great as it is...it’s sort of like Major League Baseball saying, ‘I have Black friends,’” says Varela. “You know what I mean? It’s like, ‘Oh no, but we integrated way back in the day.’ There’s so many issues now of inequality and it comes to violence against Black bodies and issues of respect and issues of dignity.”

https://globalsportmatters.com/listen/2020/08/22/the-huddle-baseballs-unwritten-rules-roberto-clemente/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

Just now, credezcrew24 said:

Well there’s gonna be 40000 people calling him Jackie tomorrow. I wonder how Tim will react to the “Jackie Jackie Jackie” chants now that every Yankees fan knows the story

No there won’t 

• Like 8

Personally, I doubt Donaldson intended any racial implication and I think his locker room interview supported his intention. The silver lining is this incident might be the match that ignites a more united and cohesive team spirit which, in my observation has been sorely missing this year. I was gratified (and a bit surprised) to see Grandal sticking up for TA. It showed veteran leadership that again, seems to have been missing. I don't much care if there is further retaliation tomorrow but do hope we use this to coalesce as a team and adopt an us vs. them attitude from here on out.  

• Like 1

Donaldson is a POS.  No disputing that.

However I see him calling Tim "Jackie" like they all made fun of Madrigal for saying he's going to be "Mr. 3000".  

It was pretty absurd thing for Tim to say.  

Sometimes people see shit that isn't there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Personally, I doubt Donaldson intended any racial implication and I think his locker room interview supported his intention. The silver lining is this incident might be the match that ignites a more united and cohesive team spirit which, in my observation has been sorely missing this year. I was gratified (and a bit surprised) to see Grandal sticking up for TA. It showed veteran leadership that again, seems to have been missing. I don't much care if there is further retaliation tomorrow but do hope we use this to coalesce as a team and adopt an us vs. them attitude from here on out.  

Just win.  That's the best revenge. Just win.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty pretentious for a young player to declare he's getting to a point where he needs to change the game.  

That was the White Sox marketing slogan for an entire season.

Tatis, Jr., has been put forward by MLB in that group with Soto, Bryce Harper, Vladdy Jr., Acuna.

More flamboyant. Bat flips. Making the game more fun for young people and not the boring drag it is for many.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s always the Latin or the Caribbean ball players who are seen as flashy and who have to respect the game,” says Varela. “You never hear about it with Mike Trout or other people, but it’s when it comes to the ‘flashy’ Dominicans, right? All of the sudden [they’re] causing problems. They’re ruining baseball. They’re ruining tradition.”

The challenging of tradition in the MLB aligns with the global challenging of structural racism. Systems, norms, values, and narratives are being criticized and reimagined in every capacity.  

“The Jackie Robinson story, as great as it is...it’s sort of like Major League Baseball saying, ‘I have Black friends,’” says Varela. “You know what I mean? It’s like, ‘Oh no, but we integrated way back in the day.’ There’s so many issues now of inequality and it comes to violence against Black bodies and issues of respect and issues of dignity.”

Who is this Varela and why should I care what he thinks?  And what has this to do with what we were talking about?

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That was the White Sox marketing slogan for an entire season.

Tatis, Jr., has been put forward by MLB in that group with Soto, Bryce Harper, Vladdy Jr., Acuna.

More flamboyant. Bat flips. Making the game more fun for young people and not the boring drag it is for many.

Comparing that to what Jackie Robinson accomplished kind of trivializes Jackie IMHO.

• Like 1

Who is this Varela and why should I care what he thinks?  And what has this to do with what we were talking about?

Everything.

Tim Anderson represents everything traditionalists hate about baseball.

Almost all of that anger is focused on black and Hispanic players.

Is Bryce Harper saying similar things since he was in high school and being presented as the new cool image of baseball any different?  The very future of the sport, we were bombarded with over and over again in advertising by Nike.

some of this is comical... so you realize tim was saying he was jackie robinson because he was one of the few african american baseball players?

His comment had everything to do with racial significance - not playing ability.

Donaldson knew exactly what he was doing - its hilarious how he has fooled half this board.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Comparing that to what Jackie Robinson accomplished kind of trivializes Jackie IMHO.

Obviously he can't make the exact same far-ranging societal changes as Robinson, Doby, Monte Irvin, Minoso, Satchel Paige...it's just an analogy for the modern era and the consistently falling number of African Americans playing major league baseball over the last thirty years or so.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

some of this is comical... so you realize tim was saying he was jackie robinson because he was one of the few african american baseball players?

His comment had everything to do with racial significance - not playing ability.

Donaldson knew exactly what he was doing - its hilarious how he has fooled half this board.

CHICAGO -- When White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson and new second baseman Josh Harrison take the field together on Jackie Robinson Day on Friday, they will be the only Black double-play combination in baseball.

"You don't see that every day," Anderson said recently. "There's a lot of young kids that look up to us on the South Side. I think it's only right to live our story through baseball and play the way that we do.

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/how-mlbs-only-black-double-play-combo-is-passing-on-jackie-robinso/11743912/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I don't think he's fooling anyone. He's just allowing specific posters here to affirm their pre-existing beliefs. Spinning this onto Tim being at fault is complete nonsense. 

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So if you are a white person and say something that a black person feels is racist or insulting and your reaction is just shrug it off as a joke...do you essentially have a right to take away their reaction of being angered or upset?

Why/how?

I don't know. At one point the two may have legitimately shared a laugh about the Jackie title.

I have a feeling Donaldson may have been trying to lighten the mood regarding the hard tag last series by calling him Jackie, but it probably didn't come off how he intended. Then he did it again and it probably came off as distasteful, and then just spiraled. Not saying Tim doesn't have a right to take offense at it, but also not saying Donaldson was intending to belittle him with a racist comment either.

If you look at the altercation between him and Grandal, it definitely looked like Donaldson wasn't trying to antagonize the situation...looked like he was caught off guard and realized what he said was in poor taste and that he just got himself in a load of shit. He then proceeded to strike out on some hanging sliders, which is uncharacteristic of him.

He's got a reputation of being a dick, but I just think he may have chosen some really poor words to try and rectify a situation. I could be wrong, but that's how I'm piecing it together.

Edited by ScooterMcGuire
  • Like 2

Donaldson is an irritant and that is what he was trying to do. He claimed he was trying to diffuse any tension, but we know that isn't something he does. It was a flippant remark that was meant to piss TA off, and it  was, whether it was intended to be or not, racist. 

• Thanks 4
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Everything.

Tim Anderson represents everything traditionalists hate about baseball.

Almost all of that anger is focused on black and Hispanic players.

Is Bryce Harper saying similar things since he was in high school and being presented as the new cool image of baseball any different?  The very future of the sport, we were bombarded with over and over again in advertising by Nike.

I thought this was about Josh Donaldson mocking Tim Anderson by calling him "Jackie."  That's what I was talking about anyway.  

• bmags locked this topic