Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Mendick, Engel, and (maybe) Robert leave with injuries

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

They have been loyal.

Well, except for Brian Ball and Allen Thomas, lol.  We even screwed that up, or his son would be our starting OF.

Of course he might not have survived our minor league system/coaching 2-3 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I'm gonna say that this was his discipline for not hustling. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yeah they are kind of screwed. What’s the rule for adding players to the 40 man roster right now? I’m not too familiar.

The 40 is full and only position players available to call up are Sheets and Romy and apparently Romy is hurt (hasn't played since 6/18).  Only way to open some spots save for trading guys on the 40 man is if Mendick or Engel are hurt enough to put on the 60 day IL, or start waiving some pitchers.  Sousa, Severino, Markel, Aybar and Bilous seem like the most likely options. 

Edited by JoeCredeYes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

The 40 is full and only position players available to call up are Sheets and Romy and apparently Romy is hurt (hasn't played since 6/18).  Only way to open some spots save for trading guys on the 40 man is if Mendick or Engel are hurt enough to put on the 60 day IL, or start waiving some pitchers.  Sousa, Severino, Markel, Aybar and Bilous seem like the most likely options. 

Romy is injured so they are definitely not calling him up. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the Sox start by bringing back Herm as an Advisor to help sort out this mess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Robert actually should be benched…saw the replay, no clue why he was admiring a flare single that was totally misplayed in left instead of busting it out of the box.

Arguably could have been on third with the throw through to the plate.

Benched even if it means Leury in CF one game.

 

Josh Harrison scored all the way from first on the play…Robert ends up on first.  And he was not injured coming out of the box…he was just posted up watching the ball drop in front of Gurriel, who had a pretty terrible defensive series.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

The 40 is full and only position players available to call up are Sheets and Romy and apparently Romy is hurt (hasn't played since 6/18).  Only way to open some spots save for trading guys on the 40 man is if Mendick or Engel are hurt enough to put on the 60 day IL, or start waiving some pitchers.  Sousa, Severino, Markel, Aybar and Bilous seem like the most likely options. 

There is a decent chance Mendick is on his way to the 60 day IL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yeah they are kind of screwed. What’s the rule for adding players to the 40 man roster right now? I’m not too familiar.

Unless it is COVID related, you either have to have an open 40 man spot, or open one up by removing someone else from the 40 man roster in one form or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is a decent chance Mendick is on his way to the 60 day IL.

Might be a cracked kneecap or ACL/MCL/PCL. Definitely a deep deep knee bruise/contusion at the very least.

Direct knee to knee contact.

 

Burger had no angle and should have peeled off much earlier…or been called off by Mendick and/or Haseley.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Can the Sox start by bringing back Herm as an Advisor to help sort out this mess.

It was a while ago, but when he retired in 2018, they said he was staying on as an advisor. 

He is also still listed on the Sox site as a member of the front office as Head Athletic Trainer Emeritus

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.mlb.com/video/luis-robert-s-rbi-single-x5018
 

Here’s the full video of the Robert play in question…Stone starts calling him out at the end.

Guess we will hear he was told to take it easy with a 7-2 or 9-2 lead or whatever it was at that moment.

Bad habits just keep proliferating.  Lack of communication calling off fielders.  Trail runners constantly advancing.  Not catching or holding onto balls. Terrible throws or missed relays/cuts. Such a sloppy team and organization overall. Talented but directionless. Or rudderless. Choose your preferred adjective.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tony said:

It was a while ago, but when he retired in 2018, they said he was staying on as an advisor. 

He is also still listed on the Sox site as a member of the front office as Head Athletic Trainer Emeritus

 

He’s way too demanding and “Old School” for the modern MLB player.  But it worked.  Until his time had passed…not unlike JR and TLR.  Unfortunately they just don’t know it quite yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This organization loves to waste time. No sense of urgency whatsoever.

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, chw42 said:

 

I'm gonna say that this was his discipline for not hustling. 

That's what I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/luis-robert-s-rbi-single-x5018
 

Here’s the full video of the Robert play in question…Stone starts calling him out at the end.

Guess we will hear he was told to take it easy with a 7-2 or 9-2 lead or whatever it was at that moment.

Bad habits just keep proliferating.  Lack of communication calling off fielders.  Trail runners constantly advancing.  Not catching or holding onto balls. Terrible throws or missed relays/cuts. Such a sloppy team and organization overall. Talented but directionless. Or rudderless. Choose your preferred adjective.

This is the key shortcoming with this team, at least on the field. Sometimes it feels like watching the movie Major League, only a pinup of the owner isn't going to work in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The fact that Tony brought that up specifically tells me it was more about discipline than anything else. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/luis-robert-s-rbi-single-x5018
 

Here’s the full video of the Robert play in question…Stone starts calling him out at the end.

Guess we will hear he was told to take it easy with a 7-2 or 9-2 lead or whatever it was at that moment.

Bad habits just keep proliferating.  Lack of communication calling off fielders.  Trail runners constantly advancing.  Not catching or holding onto balls. Terrible throws or missed relays/cuts. Such a sloppy team and organization overall. Talented but directionless. Or rudderless. Choose your preferred adjective.

Totally unacceptable on the part of Robert! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

 

The fact that Tony brought that up specifically tells me it was more about discipline than anything else. 

Was just going to say that exact thing.  It seems odd to try to argue that they took him out due to health, but also he is going to play tomorrow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Ouchies"?!

I'm going to give Tony a thumbs up. Ouchies, I believe, says a lot. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

"Ouchies"?!

I'm going to give Tony a thumbs up. Ouchies, I believe, says a lot. 

Tiger Woods' right leg is "ouchies."  Sam Sneed after a car wreck.

Robert is perfectly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Tiger Woods' right leg is "ouchies."  Sam Sneed after a car wreck.

Robert is perfectly fine.

I'm thinking ouchies is like a "boo boo". Probably said sarcastically and hints at a discipline pull. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got blisters on my fingers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be legit curious why this time, nearly 70 games into the season, was the time to make a statement about hustling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×