Iguchi Close to Signing with Sox?

beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Harris is not best suited for the #2 spot. #9 this yr, leadoff maybe someday. But with a SLG under his OBP, he'd never sniff the #2 spot. The #2 guy has to have some pop in his bat.

Ugh'.

Give it to f***ing Iguchi. Uribe ain't a two hitter either, watch the ugly hacks this guy takes.

Rowand, #2 spot!? Please. Aaron is not a two hitter. Aaron needs to bat down in the order, anywhere from 3-6. If Aaron is put in the #2 spot to start the year, I'll be really disapointed.

Podsednik leads off the game with a bloop single into RF. Podsednik steals second on a 2-2 slider. Iguchi sac bunts Podsednik over to third (One out). Paulie/Aaron/Frank hits a deep fly to RF, Podsednik tags up, 1-0 Sox.

Thats what I want to see in 2005; much like the Marlins of 2002-2004.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
Ok... Granted it might not work out.  Considering what other options are available, is it worth a gamble?

Sure, if the scouts like him. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, I'm just wondering why everyone seems so hungry for this signing. I don't have any notion how good he'll be, so I'm pretty much indifferent.

He could be great for all I know. Maybe "Tadahito Iguchi" is Japanese for "Melvin Mora". :)

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Sure, if the scouts like him.  I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, I'm just wondering why everyone seems so hungry for this signing.  I don't have any notion how good he'll be, so I'm pretty much indifferent.

He could be great for all I know.  Maybe "Tadahito Iguchi" is Japanese for "Melvin Mora".  :)

Well, I know that KW has referred to Iguchi as an "impact player." If he actually is, then we got a bargain. He seems to fit our needs as well.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
Sorry if this has been posted, but since I last heard WSCR just quoting the NY Post article they are now saying the Sox are saying they are still talking to Iguchi's agent, AJ's as well

AJ is supposed to be signed by week's end, so I'm assuming something is in the works. Hopefully its simply a matter of numbers at this point; for some strange reason, I really have the feeling that Kenny will be annoucing the signing of AJP this week.

As for Iguchi, the last time I heard a report on a formal contract offer, the Sox were negotiating around that third year.

If Kenny signs one of these guys I'll be thrilled.

If he signs both, I'll go crazy. We could have one of the most solid teams in the AL, barring any injury.

Around the Horn: Catchers

Davis and Burke will handle catching duties in '05

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Ben Davis batted .231 with 16 RBIs in 54 games for the White Sox in 2004. (Tony Dejak/AP)

CHICAGO -- As of Jan. 5, 2005, the catching tandem for the White Sox looks to be Ben Davis as the starter and Jamie Burke as the very capable backstop in reserve.

But as we take a look at catchers in the first of a series that will go Around the Horn and examine the Sox standing at each position, there's an outside shot that A.J. Pierzynski, a non-tender free agent who once battled the White Sox with Minnesota, could make a move to the South Side. The White Sox offered him a contract late last week. However, if the season starts with Davis and Burke behind the plate, the White Sox have the utmost confidence in the two slightly unproven veterans.

"I really like both of those guys and enjoy working with them," said White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker of Davis and Burke. "They are great kids and hard workers."

• Catchers: Wed., Jan. 5

• Corner infielders: Wed., Jan. 12

• Middle infielders: Wed., Jan. 19

• Outfielders: Wed., Jan. 26

• Starting rotation: Wed., Feb. 2

• Bullpen: Wed., Feb. 9

• Bench: Wed., Feb. 16

Davis, 27, seems to have the bigger upside of the tandem. San Diego selected him second overall in the first round of the 1995 First-Year Player Draft, but he was moved to Seattle for the 2002 season after topping out with 11 home runs and 57 RBIs during 2001.

The White Sox acquired Davis as part of the Freddy Garcia trade on June 27 of this past season, the same deal in which the South Siders shipped catcher Miguel Olivo out West. Olivo seemed to be the catcher of the future for the White Sox, but they had to part with a player of his capabilities in order to receive a high-quality right-hander such as Garcia.

Olivo's tenure also was plagued by problems in terms of game calling. That specific area is one where the White Sox feel more comfortable in using both Davis and Burke. But Davis is considered far from an offensive afterthought at the plate.

In 160 at-bats over 54 games, Davis hit .231 in 2004 with the White Sox. Davis also knocked out six home runs and 16 RBIs. He started stronger than he finished, hitting .407 (22-for-54) with five doubles, three home runs and 10 RBIs in 19 games from July 22 to Aug. 18. His average reached .257 on Aug. 19, but Davis hit just .148 over his final 26 games -- including an 0-for-25 stretch from Sept. 14-29.

Walker mentioned that work was done on Davis' swing plane once he arrived in Chicago. Having the newly signed catcher in camp from the start should help his progress.

"It's hard to go over mechanics during the season, with the goal of trying to get on base with every at-bat," Walker said of his work with Davis. "He didn't finish like he wanted to or we wanted him to last season, but we saw signs of improvement. Spring Training will give us a chance to work on some things without worrying about the statistics going on the back of the baseball cards.

"He's a big strong guy that should be able to hit," added Walker of the 6-foot-4, 215-pound switch-hitter, who hit .222 left-handed and .172 from the right side. "He has a great attitude, and I'm really looking forward to working with him."

Both Davis and Burke are plus guys in the clubhouse, something that is important to general manager Ken Williams. After 12 seasons in the minors, starting with the Angels when they were originally known as California, Burke broke free last year in his first extended chance to play.

The 33-year-old from Oregon hit .333 with 15 RBIs in 120 at-bats and showed the ability to come through in clutch situations. Burke hit .360 with runners on base and .379 with runners in scoring position. Burke also posted a .524 average (11-for-21) in Interleague Play.

With Burke behind the plate, the White Sox posted an 18-17 record and a 10-4 mark during his last 14 starts. Burke's accuracy on throws improved as the year went on, throwing out 38.9 percent (7-for-18) of attempted baserunners. The pitching staff also owned a 4.78 ERA with Burke behind the plate.

Pitchers posted a 5.15 ERA with Davis catching for the White Sox, as he threw out 22 percent (9-for-41) of attempted baserunners with his new team and 24.4 percent (11-for-45) overall between Seattle and Chicago. The White Sox finished 20-21 in his starts.

Entering Spring Training of 2004, the White Sox had the young potential of Olivo and the veteran savvy of Sandy Alomar Jr. behind the plate. Both of those players have moved on to other teams in the American League West.

What the White Sox possess at catcher currently is potential. The switch-hitting Davis has the potential to hit .250 or .260 and possibly 15 home runs if he takes advantage of the dimensions and make-up of U.S. Cellular Field. Burke should continue to develop as one of the best reserves in the game.

Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee are both gone from the middle of the lineup, while Frank Thomas continues to work his way back from the fractured navicular in his left ankle. With the power core somewhat short-circuited, at least in the interim, and the White Sox moving more towards an attack based on speed, the team needs every spot in the lineup to produce.

But the biggest job for this catching tandem still has to be handling the pitchers and preparing one of the best White Sox staffs in recent memory for each game.

"As a hitting coach, I want as much offense as I can get," said Walker with a laugh. "How Ben and Jamie handle pitchers, though, is just as important

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
As for Iguchi, the last time I heard a report on a formal contract offer, the Sox were negotiating around that third year. 

If Kenny signs one of these guys I'll be thrilled.

:headshake

None of us have personally even seen iguchi play, for all we know hes going against some pretty horrible teams in japan, everyone has high hopes for him, yeah his numbers are good but thats not the mlb let me remind you. Kaz was supposed to be amazing and every other four games he would have a good game. Sick of hearing about everyone so excited for iguchi coming in, mlb=diff pitching style of play and player calibur Japan=totally different from the mlb

not trying to down yu guys at all but cant rate him till he gets some mlb action

if we sign both AJ and Iguchi im stoked as all hell, when was the last time the sox had a team going into a season looking this solid...

1. Pods LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Rowand CF

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. AJ C

7. Everett DH

8. Uribe SS

9. Crede 3B

#1SP: Burhle

#2SP: Garcia

#3SP: El Duque

#4SP: Contreras

#5SP: Garland

Bullpen:

Cotts

Poliete

Visquiano

Hermanson

Marte

Shingo

Then look what happens when the big hurt comes back...

1. Pods LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Thomas DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Rowand CF

7. AJ C

8. Uribe SS

9. Crede 3B

i would have so much fun watching that team.

Am I the only one that would *really* rather have AJ than Iguchi? I think with AJ, we know more what we're getting, while with Iguchi, it could go either way. Plus, I think Ben Davis at C is more of a liability for us than Willie Harris at 2B. Maybe that's just me, though. :huh

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
Ugh'.

Give it to f***ing Iguchi.  Uribe ain't a two hitter either, watch the ugly hacks this guy takes. 

Rowand, #2 spot!?  Please.  Aaron is not a two hitter.  Aaron needs to bat down in the order, anywhere from 3-6.  If Aaron is put in the #2 spot to start the year, I'll be really disapointed.

Rowand is perfect for the #2 spot. A .300 hitter with speed and some pop.

If our only .300 hitter is batting 5th or 6th, I'LL be disappointed. He sure as hell won't be batting cleanup.

Uribe will be batting 6th-7th.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Am I the only one that would *really* rather have AJ than Iguchi?  I think with AJ, we know more what we're getting, while with Iguchi, it could go either way.  Plus, I think Ben Davis at C is more of a liability for us than Willie Harris at 2B.  Maybe that's just me, though. :huh

Why can't we have both. let this play out. its not necesarrily one or the other, its who will sign, and who will not. This is a good thing.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
if we sign both AJ and Iguchi im stoked as all hell, when was the last time the sox had a team going into a season looking this solid...

1. Pods LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Rowand CF

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. AJ C

7. Everett DH

8. Uribe SS

9. Crede 3B

#1SP: Burhle

#2SP: Garcia

#3SP: El Duque

#4SP: Contreras

#5SP: Garland

Bullpen:

Cotts

Poliete

Visquiano

Hermanson

Marte

Shingo

Then look what happens when the big hurt comes back...

1. Pods LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Thomas DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Rowand CF

7. AJ C

8. Uribe SS

9. Crede 3B

i would have so much fun watching that team.

Now think about what happens when Kenny decides to make a trade at the trade deadline to add to this team

:headbang

QUOTE(ISF @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
Rowand is perfect for the #2 spot. A .300 hitter with speed and some pop.

If our only .300 hitter is batting 5th or 6th, I'LL be disappointed. He sure as hell won't be batting cleanup.

Uribe will be batting 6th-7th.

Hey i agree with someone for once, rowand will hit second, ive seen on another thread that uribe has gained some weight and doesnt deserve to bat 2nd

Am I the only one that would *really* rather have AJ than Iguchi?  I think with AJ, we know more what we're getting, while with Iguchi, it could go either way.  Plus, I think Ben Davis at C is more of a liability for us than Willie Harris at 2B.  Maybe that's just me, though. :huh

It's not an either/or choice. They are completely unrelated. Getting Iguchi has no impact on getting AJP. The CWS have the money to sign both. But KW is not going to sign a player at a price that is far beyond reasonable. I think all of the signings this off-season including Garcia & Uribe meet that principle.

Based on performance alone AJP is worth at least 3 times more than Davis.

Even if you factor in Davis' potential AJP is worth 2 times more than Davis.

So any contract in the neighborhood of 2-3M/yr would be reasonable. Hopefully AJP

sees it that way. I likewise hope that he's considering the intangible that no other team

can offer him: a chance to beat his old team. Beat them when they play, & beat them out of the post-season.

Think of the personal satisfaction he would feel in out-playing Mauer & helping the CWS win a division. As the MC commercial goes, that's priceless.

I don't think that hitting .300 warrants hitting 2nd if all of those hits are to left field and center. I'd also put him at #6 as suggested previously. I really believe that Kazuo will make a lot of people eat their words this season. It seems like we could be seeing a possible trend where it takes more than a few months to adjust to big league pitching. Hideki was Groundzilla in 03 but with Iguchi's speed, hitting the 2 seam fastball into the ground may not be a terrible thing. I hope he comes here.

Lineup:

1. Pods LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Rowand/Thomas DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Everett/Rowand CF

7. AJ C

8. Uribe SS

9. Crede 3B

Considering the 2 yr avg's of 1-2 that's an unbelievable 90+ SB's!

More than many teams! Think of how much pressure that will put on opposing pitchers, C's & IFers! Definitely the way to go. If either should fail then you can swap them with Uribe. Hopefully both will not fail.

When Thomas is not playing Rowand deserves the 3 spot. He's earned it.

Dye has put up MVP numbers before so he deserves the 5 spot. But if any of them should struggle I really view 5-6 as interchangeable. Rowand could move to 4 with a hot bat, & Koney could fall to 6 with a cold one.

This is a really flexible lineup to afford Ozzie that luxury.

Who do the Sox take off their 40 man roster for AJP and/or Igotcuchi?

If you sign AJP then there is no need to keep Burke. So he goes.

If you sign Iguchi, then Harris becomes a backup.

I believe the CWS will go with 12 pitchers to protect against Hernandez, Contreras, & Garland. The potential of that combo is great but so is the risk of any of the 3 not having 5+ IP in a game. Considering they will receive about 80+ starts betw them you need the 12th arm.

That leaves only 4 bench players: Harris, Davis, Everett, & utility IF

It's hard to believe Jurassic will be riding the pine but both him & Thomas are bigger health risks next year so it's a good situation to have.

I still hope KW pulls the trigger on Cairo for the u IF position because the pickings are getting slim.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
It's not an either/or choice.  They are completely unrelated.  Getting Iguchi has no impact on getting AJP.  The CWS have the money to sign both.  But KW is not going to sign a player at a price that is far beyond reasonable.  I think all of the signings this off-season including Garcia & Uribe meet that principle.

Based on performance alone AJP is worth at least 3 times more than Davis.

Even if you factor in Davis' potential AJP is worth 2 times more than Davis.

So any contract in the neighborhood of 2-3M/yr would be reasonable.  Hopefully AJP

sees it that way.  I likewise hope that he's considering the intangible that no other team

can offer him: a chance to beat his old team.  Beat them when they play, & beat them out of the post-season.

Think of the personal satisfaction he would feel in out-playing Mauer & helping the CWS win a division.  As the MC commercial goes, that's priceless.

Well it just might be either or depending on the $$$$ which with the Sox will mean it's either or.

Iguchi sounds very intriguing to me...like he could be a pretty good player for us.

However, I gotta ask...having seen our team and seeing how we have a lack of a #2 hitter...wouldn't it make sense to trade for Polanco, who the Phillies are basically trying to move? Dangle Willie and Adkins and have them take on $1.5 mill or so, give or take...have Polanco as your everyday 2Bman, Uribe your everyday SS, with Valdez backing up both of them...and with Polanco and Uribe's versatility, we essentially have our backup 3Bman starting at both SS and 2B.

Also, in making that trade for Polanco, we open up a spot on the 40-man for AJP.

Probably crazy, and obviously I wouldn't be disappointed if we did sign Iguchi...I just went into my crazy think-mode there for a second.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Iguchi sounds very intriguing to me...like he could be a pretty good player for us. 

However, I gotta ask...having seen our team and seeing how we have a lack of a #2 hitter...wouldn't it make sense to trade for Polanco, who the Phillies are basically trying to move?  Dangle Willie and Adkins and have them take on $1.5 mill or so, give or take...have Polanco as your everyday 2Bman, Uribe your everyday SS, with Valdez backing up both of them...and with Polanco and Uribe's versatility, we essentially have our backup 3Bman starting at both SS and 2B.

Also, in making that trade for Polanco, we open up a spot on the 40-man for AJP.

Probably crazy, and obviously I wouldn't be disappointed if we did sign Iguchi...I just went into my crazy think-mode there for a second.

That's brilliant! :notworthy Polanco would be a huge upgrade over Harris. But I think it would take more than Harris and Adkins. Has Polanco gone thru the arbitration process yet? If so, what's his salary?