Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
FWIW, ESPN Radio 1000 is saying Sox initial offer to PK is going to be 4/50

If Anaheim can get Manny that may be enough, it not, I imagine at least a 5th year is going to have to be added

Thats a really fair offer by the Sox. Dollar wise, year wise, everything. Problem is he is one of the only hitters out there. If it were last year, that deal would have gotten it done, don't know about this year.

That said, maybe the pub is wrong and he won't get some of the offers that have been rumored.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard on the Score they offered somewhere between 4yrs/48 to 50 million....That's a little higher than Sexson got from the Mariners so the Sox certainly aren't short changing Paulie....I don't see how the Angels can afford Vlad, Manny (If that trade goes through) and Konerko since that team doesn't make nearly as much from their attendance as they could since Angel Stadium is 30 yrs old and doesn't have suites....

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
Heard on the Score they offered somewhere between 4yrs/48 to 50 million....That's a little higher than Sexson got from the Mariners so the Sox certainly aren't short changing Paulie....I don't see how the Angels can afford Vlad, Manny (If that trade goes through) and Konerko since that team doesn't make nearly as much from their attendance as they could since Angel Stadium is 30 yrs old and doesn't have suites....

Sexson's deal was 4 years, $50 million. $6 million signing bonus, $4.5 million in 05 season, $11.5 million in 2006 and $14 million in each of the final two seasons.

It was also reported on the SCORE that Guillen has said he does not want to pay "big bucks" to any one guy because of how that could change clubhouse dynamics.

The unanswered questions, though, are: Just what are "big" bucks? and is all this the "counter-offensive" to PK's agent's talk about how many teams are bidding and how much they want his client. I suspect that most of what's being reported at this point is just that...trial balloons to see what kind of reaction the other side will give.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
That's an interesting one.  I wouldn't exactly know how to react if that happened.  I guess it would depend on his health and what the Twins give up.

That would also almost guarantee that the Twinkies had already given up on Morneau. I've heard he didn't get along with people...that would certainly seal that deal. The Twins would have to dump him if Thome could play.

Here's the rotoworld thing

Jim Thome - 1B - Phillies

The Twins have had discussions with the Phillies about Jim Thome, who is owed $43.5 million over the next three years.

The Phillies would probably have to eat a bigger portion of the contract that they'd like in order to send Thome to Minnesota, and even if something is agreed to, Thome would have to waive his no-trade clause. A deal is unlikely, but the talks could get very interesting if expanded to include Torii Hunter and Jason Michaels.

Nov. 4 - 1:21 pm et

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
That would also almost guarantee that the Twinkies had already given up on Morneau.  I've heard he didn't get along with people...that would certainly seal that deal.  The Twins would have to dump him if Thome could play.

With his back problems, I think he would be a full time DH...or maybe, at the most, spell Morneau at first.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 02:00 AM)
Like you all said, it appears he's gone. We ain't gonna give him more than four years.

i think its possible for us to go to 5 years. remember, this is our INITAL offer.

remember, his agent asking for 7 is like BORASS asking for 10 last year. remember, we offered maggs 5 years. remember, we just won the world series. remember, PK gave the game ending world series ball to JR.

its far far far from over.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
i think its possible for us to go to 5 years. remember, this is our INITAL offer.

remember, his agent asking for 7 is like BORASS asking for 10 last year. remember, we offered maggs 5 years. remember, we just won the world series. remember, PK gave the game ending world series ball to JR.

its far far far from over.

Kenny will go 5 max, I think there's a possibility he'll give out a 5 year deal to Paul but in no way will he go higher, nor should he.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
Kenny will go 5 max, I think there's a possibility he'll give out a 5 year deal to Paul but in no way will he go higher, nor should he.

indeed-a-lee-dood-a-lee

jeff buckley - FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!!!

but in all seriousness... jeff buckley was -a-f***ingmazing.

for those unfimilar with jeff buckley, be amazed right now. click me damn it. jeff buckley = one of the best singer/song writers of all time. the man is a legend! he may be dead, but 8 years later... he still is loved and alive throught his music

oh yeah, paulie... yeah 5 years max.

The Sox should go nomore than 5 years for PK. He has had some horrible years in the past and is overdue for one. But when it comes to paying for good players, it is time for JR and Kw to put up or shut up. They both have said in the past that they need fannies in the seats to be able to afford the better players and this year we had the 4th highest attendence in Sox history, and next years should be even better, so there should be no excuse for not getting the "better"players, be it PK or any oyher.

QUOTE(springrovesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
The Sox should go nomore than 5 years for PK. He has had some horrible years in the past and is overdue for one. But when it comes to paying for good players, it is time for JR and Kw to put up or shut up. They both have said in the past that they need fannies in the seats to be able to afford the better players and this year we had the 4th highest attendence in Sox history, and next years should be even better, so there should be no excuse for not getting the "better"players, be it PK or any oyher.

Paul Konerko has had 1 bad season ('03) since he's come into the league, he has been a model of consistancy for overall season numbers.

I don't know if you've noticed but there aren't many "better" players available right now, Konerko ist the best player on the free agent market.

Boers and Bernstein talked about this subject for a little today, and they made some points I agree with.

Basically they said that teams that have won for awhile have been fluid.

It would suck to see PK go, he has been great for this team, but I will trust KW, I think he's earned that from me. If they lose PK and he can bring in an Overbay and Matsui, I think that goes aways to make up for the loss.

Also, over the past few days Boers has been saying if the Sox trade someone from their staff it would be Garcia. Haven't heard this elsewhere, but I imagine he would be worth something pretty good. They mentioned Blaylock from Texas

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Boers and Bernstein talked about this subject for a little today, and they made some points I agree with. 

Basically they said that teams that have won for awhile have been fluid. 

It would suck to see PK go, he has been great for this team, but I will trust KW, I think he's earned that from me.  If they lose PK and he can bring in an Overbay and Matsui, I think that goes aways to make up for the loss.

Also, over the past few days Boers has been saying if the Sox trade someone from their staff it would be Garcia.  Haven't heard this elsewhere, but I imagine he would be worth something pretty good.  They mentioned Blaylock from Texas

2 things on your last point. To preface my post I must first say, B&B may come across as knowledgeable Baseball guys but they're are clueless when it comes to certain topics.

If anyone from this starting staff was going to be moved it would not be Ozzie Guillen's best friend/family member in Freddy Garcia, it would be the 26 year old starter who has finally had a season showing that he could live up to his potential and is in his final year of arbitration eligiblility in Jon Garland. Garland's value >>> Garcia's value.

Hank Blalock is extremely scary player. He put up a .749 OPS last season, that's 13 points higher than Rowand. Blalock did NOT hit on the road at all last season, his home/away splits are just horrid.

Home: 20HR, 63RBI, .297/.361/.534/895

Away: 5HR, 29RBI, .231/.276/.335/.611

80% of Blalock's HRs came at home last season.

The only thing you know you're getting from Blalock is great defense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 04:50 AM)
2 things on your last point. To preface my post I must first say, B&B may come across as knowledgeable Baseball guys but they're are clueless when it comes to certain topics.

If anyone from this starting staff was going to be moved it would not be Ozzie Guillen's best friend/family member in Freddy Garcia, it would be the 26 year old starter who has finally had a season showing that he could live up to his potential and is in his final year of arbitration eligiblility in Jon Garland. Garland's value >>> Garcia's value.

Hank Blalock is extremely scary player. He put up a .749 OPS last season, that's 13 points higher than Rowand. Blalock did NOT hit on the road at all last season, his home/away splits are just horrid.

Home: 20HR, 63RBI, .297/.361/.534/895

Away: 5HR, 29RBI, .231/.276/.335/.611

80% of Blalock's HRs came at home last season.

The only thing you know you're getting from Blalock is great defense.

Great point on Blalock. I've always though very highly of him, but because of your post, you forced me to look at his stats on bb-ref.

94 OPS+ this year -- ick! Career high OPS+ of 118 -- that's good, but certainly not great. And, most importantly -- the past two years, he's had K/BB ratios of 149/75 and 132/51.

Hell, his .749 OPS this year was WORSE than Joe Crede's. Wow -- he was a worse player than Joe Crede this year. That surprises the hell out of me...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
Great point on Blalock.  I've always though very highly of him, but because of your post, you forced me to look at his stats on bb-ref. 

94 OPS+ this year -- ick!  Career high OPS+ of 118 -- that's good, but certainly not great.  And, most importantly -- the past two years, he's had K/BB ratios of 149/75 and 132/51. 

Hell, his .749 OPS this year was WORSE than Joe Crede's.  Wow -- he was a worse player than Joe Crede this year.  That surprises the hell out of me...

Yep, and don't forget Crede put up +.800 OPS's in 4 of the 6 months in 2005. As with all the other thoughts on Blalock, agree wholeheartedly. Stay away.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
Like I said unless its Teixiera coming out of Texas stay away from their players.... He can play 3B too if thats what they really want so its all good.  I guess Michael Young is good too but Blalock is way overated.

I don't think Mark Teixiera is even a good fit for the Sox. Talent and overall play wise he's a great player and any team would love to have someone as versatile (1B, 3B, SH) as him on their team. However the legistics of the whole situation just suck.

Teixiera is going into his first year of arbitration but Scott Boras is trying to avoid arbitration with the Rangers however the stipulations are kind of ridiculous, Boras is looking for a 10 year deal in the neighborhood of $180M - $200M.

Not to mention the fact that JR an KW have taken a major stance against Scott Boras by refusing to draft any of his players and avoiding dealling with him when attempting to give Juan Uribe a new contract.

Just for fun we'll look at Mark's Home/Away splits from last season:

Home - 30HR, 88RBI, .334/.411/.698/1.109 K/BB: 48/37

Away - 13HR, 56RBI, .270/.349/.459/.809 K/BB: 76/35

I'm just not sure bringing in Scott Boras' new favorite client would be all the good of an idea.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
I don't think Mark Teixiera is even a good fit for the Sox. Talent and overall play wise he's a great player and any team would love to have someone as versatile (1B, 3B, SH) as him on their team. However the legistics of the whole situation just suck.

Teixiera is going into his first year of arbitration but Scott Boras is trying to avoid arbitration with the Rangers however the stipulations are kind of ridiculous, Boras is looking for a 10 year deal in the neighborhood of $180M - $200M.

Not to mention the fact that JR an KW have taken a major stance against Scott Boras by refusing to draft any of his players and avoiding dealling with him when attempting to give Juan Uribe a new contract.

Just for fun we'll look at Mark's Home/Away splits from last season:

Home - 30HR, 88RBI, .334/.411/.698/1.109 K/BB: 48/37

Away - 13HR, 56RBI, .270/.349/.459/.809 K/BB: 76/35

I'm just not sure bringing in Scott Boras' new favorite client would be all the good of an idea.

The home and away stats are a pretty big difference with Tex and Blalock. I didn't know that ballpark infalted their numbers so much.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)

The Angels interest in Manny could slow them down in signing PK. Hopefully that's the case. 5 years with options isn't bad depending on the money, I think PK would accept that from us.