Miguel Tejada

DBAHO

Once again we're coming close to the silly season;

Another option, if the Orioles decide to put him up for auction, is Miguel Tejada. That’s a good fit for the Sox because they have the young talent to fill out Baltimore’s lineup.

In any case, these possibilities may be seven or eight weeks away, and by then, maybe the Sox won’t need to keep exploring them.

Or, they just might if they want to win it again.

And this idea actually has merit. I'd rather upgrade at SS over CF, because at least you know over the next few years Anderson will improve. You never know with Uribe with that swing of his.

Currently the O's are 27-31. About 8 games back of a wild card spot. They're not out of it, but by the end of July they very well could be.

What could we offer them for Miggy. Well you'd have to give up Uribe obviously. They need starting pitching in the worst way possible. We're most likely not going to trade one of our starters until the off-season, but if it was anyone, it would have to be Freddy Garcia.

Otherwise you'd be looking at prospects like Tyler Lumsden and Lance Broadway to try and complete a deal there. But it's definitely intriguing.

You're guaranteed to lose at least one SP (Garcia) and get Tejada. You know what? I'd take that, honestly.

But I don't think this will really be in the cards.

One question I will ask, when is it going to reach that the cupboard's bare, for trading for people to win now?

You have to have young talent fill the gaps... unless you're the Yankmees.

Now this is a deal if you started with Jon Garland and included guys like Broadway and Lumsen, then you might have their interest. With new competition in Washington, and an ever increasing bad mood among the season ticket holders, Baltimore needs guys who can win today, and at least with guys like Garland and Uribe the O's get some much needed pitching and another SS, plus they can fill in their farm system.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
Now this is a deal if you started with Jon Garland and included guys like Broadway and Lumsen, then you might have their interest. With new competition in Washington, and an ever increasing bad mood among the season ticket holders, Baltimore needs guys who can win today, and at least with guys like Garland and Uribe the O's get some much needed pitching and another SS, plus they can fill in their farm system.

Back when the Tejada rumors were flying with us in the off-season, a lot of people were throwing up the suggestion of Garland + Uribe + a prospect for Miggy.

The problem is now, for the moment, Garland has a no trade clause, and he'd have to waive it to go to Baltimore.

That's why it'd be more likely if it was anyone, it'd probably be Garcia on the way out, since the other 3 SP's in our rotation would be very unlikely to be moved, and no way do I want to lose B-Mac.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
One question I will ask, when is it going to reach that the cupboard's bare, for trading for people to win now?

You have to have young talent fill the gaps... unless you're the Yankmees.

Yeah this is going to be an extremely important issue in the years ahead, considering the aggressiveness of our General Manager.

But I think the Sox in the last 2 or 3 years have done an excellent job at least at drafting pitchers, and turning them into pretty good prospects. Guys like Gio Gonzalez and Dan Haigwood come to mind.

So in no way do I want to become like the Yanks because I think it's crucial to have good young players contributing for you at the major league level because they offer you a lot of payroll flexibility, but since we've got still a fairly good farm system, it probably wouldn't kill us if KW decided to make some more trades.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:48 AM)
Back when the Tejada rumors were flying with us in the off-season, a lot of people were throwing up the suggestion of Garland + Uribe + a prospect for Miggy.

The problem is now, for the moment, Garland has a no trade clause, and he'd have to waive it to go to Baltimore.

That's why it'd be more likely if it was anyone, it'd probably be Garcia on the way out, since the other 3 SP's in our rotation would be very unlikely to be moved, and no way do I want to lose B-Mac.

I know the no-trade clause keeps getting mentioned, but pretty much if you tell a guy he isn't wanted, he is going to want to leave. At that point, unless he is getting sent to somewhere like KC or Pittsburgh, he'll take the offer. If you get Peter Angelo to throw another option year at the guy, or guarentee an option year (I can't remember if Garland has one or not) that can usually be enough to get a guy to drop his "objections" as well. Most of the time a no-trade clause is a formality to give the player a little more power over where he goes to, or gets him a little more cash when he gets dealt to appease him.

that would be pretty amazing. With Tejeda added to the lineup it would put us up there at the top with one of the best offenses and we would still have 5 good starting pitchers to go with. Also with how Phillips and Haeger have performed in AAA I think assuming we keep at least 1 of them they are good enough insurance incase one of our starters go down.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
Awesome!! We can have 2004 all over again!!

I'm sorry, but that is kind of a ridiculous statement. He mentions in the next sentence that we would also have 5 good starters (something we didn't have in '04). Are you telling me you wouldn't want one of the best offenses in baseball? Especially when you are backing it up with a great rotation?

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
I'm sorry, but that is kind of a ridiculous statement. He mentions in the next sentence that we would also have 5 good starters (something we didn't have in '04). Are you telling me you wouldn't want one of the best offenses in baseball? Especially when you are backing it up with a great rotation?

Our pitching isn't very good right now, starters or bullpen. Going after more offense does nothing for me.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Our pitching isn't very good right now, starters or bullpen. Going after more offense does nothing for me.

You take Uribe out of the equation and you put in a allstar top 5 offensive guy like Tejada and our offense doesnt just get better, it becomes sick. It would be better than anything we have ever had. Look at how improved it is after just adding Thome. You add Tejada yikes. Our pitching has been medicore, so taking one of the SPs out and putting in McCarthy into the rotation isnt going to queer the deal. So what do you think is going to happen, all of a sudden our SP is just going to flip a switch and boom they are 2005 allstar pitchers, or that they will be good to decent all year long. If we can replace Uribe with Tejada, we could live with Anderson and if he hits even .091 at the 8 or 9 hole with his awsome defense.

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)

We already have one of the best offenses. There won't be any trades for offense unless the rotation rights itself and the bullpen becomes more consistent. Tejada would be an awesome edition, but what good is he if pitchers can't hold leads.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
You take Uribe out of the equation and you put in a allstar top 5 offensive guy like Tejada and our offense doesnt just get better, it becomes sick. It would be better than anything we have ever had. Look at how improved it is after just adding Thome. You add Tejada yikes. Our pitching has been medicore, so taking one of the SPs out and putting in McCarthy into the rotation isnt going to queer the deal. So what do you think is going to happen, all of a sudden our SP is just going to flip a switch and boom they are 2005 allstar pitchers, or that they will be good to decent all year long. If we can replace Uribe with Tejada, we could live with Anderson and if he hits even .091 at the 8 or 9 hole with his awsome defense.

That's all fine and dandy. The problem would be getting Baltimore to think they are getting market value for Tejada. Garland or Garcia, plus Uribe plus a minor leaguer or 2 isn't going to do it. Other teams would and will offer much more if Tejada were to become available and was playing at his earlier lofty standards.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
You take Uribe out of the equation and you put in a allstar top 5 offensive guy like Tejada and our offense doesnt just get better, it becomes sick. It would be better than anything we have ever had.

The Yankees have had a murderers row lineup for the last 5 years or so and it can't get them over the hump.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
The Yankees have had a murderers row lineup for the last 5 years or so and it can't get them over the hump.

And their pitching over the past 5 years does not compare to that of the '06 White Sox.

I can't remember where, I think it might have been Buster Olney's blog a couple of days ago, but it said that Tejada's range is as weak as it has ever been. Tejada would be a great pickup if we didn't have Thome and insert him as the DH, but I would rather have Uribe's defense over a year and deal with the streakiness.

I would definitely listen to offers, but it would have to greatly favor the Sox.

PS. I love it, the Sox have enough depth on the team and the organization to actually deal from a position of power.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
Garland, Rogowski, ?....the only minor leaguer I do not want to give up right now is Sweeney.

yeah but if miguel keeps b****ing about not wanting to play in baltimore they might get rid of him.

Edited by WinningUgly85

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
yeah but if miguel keeps b****ing about not wanting to play in baltimore they might get rid of him.

Has he been much of a malcontent since this offseason where he rescinded his trade demand? I hadn't heard anything else since, and I do usually check the wire stories.