Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
So let me get this straight, Alomar has a higher CERA than Widger and the Dodgers have won all of 1 game with him starting? That's just terrific.

We better not have given up anyone even remotely decent in order to get him. I'm surprised the Dodgers hadn't released him yet after trading for Hall.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Boston in 2003, and I just can't get the image of Sandy, who is a really nice guy, walking through the lobby, walking like he was 85 years old in need of knee replacement surgery in both knees. He was really hobbling, but he still played that night. He must take painkillers up the wazoo to be able to play.

I don't mind this move.

I don't know if he'll throw out baserunners better than Widger. He can't do any worse than Widger did at the plate this season. He knows Buehrle and Garland damn well, and I'm sure Cotts probably pitched to him in 2004 at some point. It's an upgrade -- not much of an upgrade, but for such a minimal price (the Sox are probably giving up very little), I'm not complaining.

The main reason Stewart isn't about to get called up is because he isn't near as experienced of a game caller nor does he have much of a relationship with our current MLB pitchers. Alomar Jr on the other hand is familiar with at least a few of our starters and while some don't think he's the best game caller, he is a savvy vet whose a good fit in the clubhouse and pretty smart.

Guys, I'm going to close this thread since its turning more so into Alomar talk and that would be a better fit in the Alomar thread.

Maybe its a bad idea and I thought about merging them into one thread, but both moves should have some discussion.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
In what way is this an upgrade over Widger?

Better offensively, neither are great defensively, but Alomar is the much more savvy veteran, imo. I realize Widge is a veteran as well, but he's not nearly as respected around the baseball world as Sandy is.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
Better offensively, neither are great defensively, but Alomar is the much more savvy veteran, imo. I realize Widge is a veteran as well, but he's not nearly as respected around the baseball world as Sandy is.

The ONLY positive I see on the field is that Alomar is difficult to strike out. I didn't think it was possible though, but we actually decrease our team speed with this deal. Hopefully Alomar will be able to do something that Widger couldn't, and that's catch the damn ball on a play at the plate.