Chris Young Called Up

DBAHO

All the best to him;

Diamondbacks recalled outfielder Chris Young from Triple-A Tucson.

This would seem to show exactly what the Diamondbacks think about Carlos Quentin's ability to play center fielder. Eric Byrnes is playing well enough that Young isn't going to have much to do, though the 22-year-old is starting in center field tonight. He'll probably join fellow rookie Alberto Callaspo on the bench most of the time. Maybe a Shawn Green trade would give him a little value in NL-only leagues.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 02:45 AM)
^^^

That was just not a good move. I'm a HUGE KW fan but he just got greedy with this trade, shoulda left BMac in the rotation and kept CY.

You can just imagine the outfield if Young were still here -- I don't think anything would fall between LF and CF with those two (he and Anderson, without even saying a word about Sweeney in RF a couple years down the road) roaming out there. Not to mention the fact that Young has a good shot at being a 30 HR/30 SB guy.

Bleh... So depressing.

EDIT: Young went 1-for-3 in his debut.

:sigh

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
^^^

That was just not a good move. I'm a HUGE KW fan but he just got greedy with this trade, shoulda left BMac in the rotation and kept CY.

To trade a future stud OF, a solid middle relief arm, and El Duque for a career .500 mental midget when you already have 5 starters is inexcuseable. KW is the best GM in baseball, but that trade was a disaster.

Chris Young, the best prospect the Sox have traded away since (fill in the blank), got called up to Arizona Friday.

Had a single in three at bats after a solid season in Tucson. He's featured on the Baseball America web page today.

every time Javy has one of his meltdowns (I've heard that it happens sometimes), check this kid's line in the box score and remember what might have been.

Razor Shines, his manager at Birmingham last season, sez he's better than Anderson, better than Sweeney, better than Owens, better than anybody in the Sox system.

at least we'll see him play when he comes to Wrigley every year.

I hope that Javier Vazquez can grow some cahones and become as dominant a starting pitcher as we have all been told he can be. Otherwise it's just dreaming of what might hav ebeen with Young. Don't forget Orlando Hernandez and the good pitching he is now showing in NY with the Mets either. I think he lasts longer than 4 or 5 innings of good ball

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
I hope that Javier Vazquez can grow some cahones and become as dominant a starting pitcher as we have all been told he can be. Otherwise it's just dreaming of what might hav ebeen with Young. Don't forget Orlando Hernandez and the good pitching he is now showing in NY with the Mets either. I think he lasts longer than 4 or 5 innings of good ball

El Duque has a 5.29 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, .292 BAA and has gone 6 or less innings in 16 of his 24 starts this season all while pitching in the worst league in professional baseball history. How exactly is that good?

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
Also wish our system could produce some Morneaus, Bartletts and Puntos, scrappers who kick our tail.

Morneau's first season wasn't anything to write home about either. We're going to have one of the best Center Fielders in baseball for the next 6 years or so. I'm pretty happy about that one. Minnesota might also be a bit jealous of that guy we developed at 3rd base. Or the 38th rounder and 17th round picks who look like they may anchor our starting 5 next year.

I wouldn't take Javy over a box of rocks. while Duque' isn't what he once was, would anyone be willing to bet ANYTHING that Vazquez could pull off what Hernandez did last year in Boston during the ALDS?

I'd have loved to have had Duque' for bullpen work, but since he wanted to start he had to go.

Javier Vazquez will NEVER BE anything other than a mediocre pitcher. Chris Young will be a lot like Mike Cameron...terrific fielder, lots of speed, good power and will strike out a lot. We basically gave this guy away for nothing more than an impedement to getting McCarthy into the rotation sooner.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Nick Punto wasn't even a major league caliber player up until this year, he's finally producing at the age of 28, there's a reason why the Phillies gave up on the guy and dealt him to Minny to begin with.

IMO he is a flash in the pan.

We're going to have one of the best Center Fielders in baseball for the next 6 years or so. I'm pretty happy about that one.

I don't know why Brian Anderson gets let off the hook by so many fans.

Has he proven he can hit yet in the big leagues?

I mean I like his defense as much as anybody but you can't tell me he's done

better than Rowand did.

Again, I like his defense and his potential I guess, but Brian Anderson does not

appear to me to have star potential as a hitter.

I know ... Crede took a while too. We shall see but to say we'll have one of the best

cf's for the next six years, I dunno about that.

Even the biggest Brian supporters have to admit he has been a C- at the plate to D

plus to go with his A-plus work in cf.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
KW gambled for a #5 starter with some pretty good talent. You win some, you lose some. Sometimes it rains.

I'm gonna barf the next time somebody claims Kenny traded a top 20 prospect in hopes of getting back a typical #5 starter -- especially one that makes as much paper as Javy does.