Contreras to start opening day

jasonxctf

in case you missed it...

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Jose Contreras would be his Opening Day starter.

He'll be followed in the rotation by Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez. Garland remains in the middle despite winning eight more games than either Contreras or Buehrle over the last two seasons. Gavin Floyd is the early favorite to take the fifth spot.

Source: Chicago Tribune

I don't mind it. I happen to think Contreras has a lot to prove this year, but the guy when on is our ace and while I think Buehrle is also deserving of the opening day nod the end result is that none of our starters really earned it with there performances over the past season but when healthy Contreras was no doubt the best of the bunch (unfortunately he wasn't healthy most of the season and ended up being our most over-rated starter...since the rest of our starters pretty much stank for the most part and yes, Vazquez was by far the clubs most under-rated starter).

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
in case you missed it...

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Jose Contreras would be his Opening Day starter.

He'll be followed in the rotation by Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez. Garland remains in the middle despite winning eight more games than either Contreras or Buehrle over the last two seasons. Gavin Floyd is the early favorite to take the fifth spot.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Nice spot for Garland. It stops becoming an issue for matchups around the third week, or a couple rain outs, etc. What is important, some people believe, is the look we give other teams. Lefty, righty. Power, finess. I believe at this point in their careers, hitters can adjust from day to day. The great ones adjust from AB to AB.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
I was there and he said this was in no way set in stone.

Correct. He said if the season started tomorrow this is how it would be. Obviously, if Count breaks his arm things will change.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
Contreras should have been the starter last year on opening day, but the Sox rewarded MB for being here the longest. No more Mr Niceteam I guess.

You know MB would be out there opening day if he had a nice contract sticking out of his back pocket. Got to showcase the face of the organization then.

The more I think about the pitchers this year the more excited I get.

I always enjoyed Buehrle as the O.D. starter (thanks for getting us out in time for the Illini game that year, dude!) and thought that was the tradition but didn't realize it's who was the #1 the previous year record-wise.

Fine with me. Shake things up a bit.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
I was there and he said this was in no way set in stone.

I think getting through ST first might be proper before worrying about the opening game starter. Heck it could be anyone at this point.I know what Ozzie is saying though.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
I tend to agree, but he definitely didn't earn it after his performance last year.

Buehrle definitely didn't earn it and I don't think Contreras did either. I don't see why Garland shouldn't be on the mound on opening day....

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
Contreras should have been the starter last year on opening day, but the Sox rewarded MB for being here the longest. No more Mr Niceteam I guess.

I guess they're not going to showcase a guy who they have no intention of re-signing.