2007 Post ASB White Sox Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

To say he didn't roll the dice isn't fair. He came up short a few times, for sure, but to exceed the salaries Hunter and Rowand got or to give more than what the Tigers gave to Florida would have killed the organization and crippled it for many years. KW is keeping in line with his philosophy of win now and win later...and that's extremely hard to pull off. If this team is second division on paper, it's only because we play in the AL Central. And even with that, I think the White Sox are the third best team on paper. But games aren't played on paper. Think back to the summer before the glory. Dye was coming off injuries/never had lived to star status. Konerko was fresh off a half season of batters box blindness. Iguchi was a shot in the dark. Pierzynski was a pig in a poke. Who knew Uribe was going to have such a great year? What did this board say about the Lee for Pods/Viz. deal? And who really thought Pods' career year would be 2005? Who predicted the prowess of 2005's Cliff Politte? What I'm saying is that there's too much negativity around here. Of course I wish every hole was filled by the top guy possible. But that's not realistic. Hell, it probably isn't even fun. If that's what people want, become a Yankee fan and get disillusioned when they don't win the World Series every year. I'll take my 2005 and hope things fall into place to bring that surprise back. For what it's worth, I think there are probably a couple of moves left.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points Buck. I just hope we're not out of it by June 1.

That would make for another s***ty season to be a fan.

There's a chance things could fall right. Dunno about that starting pitching, though.

After Mark and Vas, there's not much there IMO.

Hope I'm wrong. Good post, though. I thought it made lots of sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about Hawk Dawson Wilbon started to talk about Hawk Harrelson belonging in the HOF and Tony K. laughed at him and Wilbon was obviously being very mocking and then Reali came on at the end to say Hawk ain't ever getting in and that you can't put that one on the board (meaning Hawk). Kind of amusing.

Why Deluca+ is a moron.

Swisher, coming off a 2007 season in which he had a .381 on-base percentage, could bat in the No. 2 spot, though he has been caught stealing more times (five) in his career than he has stolen a base (four). He's more in the Paul Konerko department when it comes to speed. That's a scary notion for the Sox' new center fielder

Maybe Chris should consult the Billy Beane guide to stealing, or the stay on first and never steal manual. Just because a guy doesnt steal in Oakland, doesnt mean he is slow. The only slow one here, is Chris.

And an aging rotation minus Garland hardly inspires confidence. Staff ace Mark Buehrle -- outside of his April no-hitter last season -- hasn't looked the same since 2005. Jose Contreras is coming off a terrible 2007. And it would be easier to feel good about still-developing John Danks and Gavin Floyd if they were battling for the fifth spot in the rotation, instead of occupying the fourth and fifth spots.

Why Chris Deluca is not so smart.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
Why Deluca+ is a moron.

Maybe Chris should consult the Billy Beane guide to stealing, or the stay on first and never steal manual. Just because a guy doesnt steal in Oakland, doesnt mean he is slow. The only slow one here, is Chris.

Why Chris Deluca is not so smart.

Only in the world of Jay Mariotti journalism is it better to be a part of a fictious deal rather than up the ante and be outbid for a real deal. By being a part of the the moves noted below, teams paid higher prices that they would have had the Sox not been involved.

The cub has made one move this offseason and are now tied to Roberts which they may haveto overpay.

The Sox were major players for Fukodome, Hunter and Cabrerra and ended up with a better move (Swisher) in the end I beleive. Maybe it isn't the glamorous over bidding mortgage busting move but I think it is better. They also picked up a gold glove shortstop and possible back of the bullpen guy......

Yep sounds like the cub has had a much more productive offseason. Chris deluca, Carol Slezak and Moronitti really have no business writing about sports as they really do not absorb the reality of sports nor do they understand the environment of sports. I bet they all sit around and pretend they are Ray Romano and simply write something that looks good on their compuiter screen.

That article is wrong on so many levels.

was jeff liefer

HICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts with infielders Brad Eldred, Royce Huffman, Jeff Liefer and Michael Rouse, catchers Paul Phillips and Ryan Smith, infielder/outfielder Jason Bourgeois, outfielder Miguel Negron and right-handed pitcher D.J. Carrasco. All nine players, in addition to infielder Chris Getz, have received non-roster invites to the club's spring training camp in Tucson, Ariz.

Bourgeois, 26, combined to hit .306 (153-500) in 127 games between Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte last season. He led all White Sox farmhands in stolen bases (38) and ranked fifth in average.

Carrasco, 30, has gone 14-15 with a 4.81 ERA (61 ER/114.2 IP) and two saves in 101 major-league appearances (22 starts) with Kansas City (2003-05). The righty went 5-14 with a 6.68 ERA (102 ER/137.1 IP) in 34 games (22 starts) with Class AAA Tucson last season.

Eldred, 27, spent the majority of the 2007 season with Class AAA Indianapolis, hitting .209 (65-311) with 15 home runs and 45 RBI in 86 games. He also appeared in 19 games with Pittsburgh. Eldred was named the Pirates' Minor-League Player of the Year in 2004 after totaling 38 home runs and a minor league-best 137 RBI between Class A Lynchburg and Class AA Altoona.

Getz, 24, hit .299 (83-278) with a .382 on-base percentage with Birmingham in 2007, but was limited to 72 games due to a right shin injury. He was named to the Southern League midseason All-Star Team and reached base safely in 84.7 percent (61-72) of his games played with the Barons. Getz, who compiled a .360 on-base percentage with Phoenix in the 2007 Arizona Fall League, was selected by the White Sox in the fourth round of the June 2005 First-Year Player Draft.

Liefer, 33, has appeared in 288 major-league contests with the White Sox (1999-2002), Montreal (2003), Tampa Bay (2003), Milwaukee (2004) and Cleveland (2005). He hit .244 (142-582) with 25 home runs and 79 RBI in 209 games with the Sox. Liefer, who spent the 2006-07 seasons with the Seibu Lions of the Japanese Pacific League, was originally selected by Chicago in the first round (25th overall) in the June 1995 free-agent draft.

Phillips, 30, hit .238 (48-202) in 58 games with Class AAA Omaha in 2007 and .143 (2-14) in eight contests with Kansas City. He owns a .258 (39-151) average over four major-league seasons with the Royals (2004-07).

White Sox pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Saturday, February 16, with physicals and a workout scheduled for the same day. Position players are to report and undergo physicals on Thursday, February 21. The first full-squad workout will also take place at that time.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
The new roster numbers are here!

62 Jack Egbert

64 Lucas Harrell

48 Scott Linebrink

61 Adam Russell

43 Ehren Wassermann

63 Cole Armstrong

18 Orlando Cabrera

17 Carlos Quentin

30 Nick Swisher

Damn. My Wassermann t-shirt has 62 on it. Egbert stole the number. Damn him.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
Damn. My Wassermann t-shirt has 62 on it. Egbert stole the number. Damn him.

I was hoping Swish would get 22.

Maybe Eggy can get it when he makes the team. That might be even greater.

Nine teams with unfinished business from Rosenthal

White Sox

This would be the perfect team to take a flier on Bartolo Colon or another pitcher coming off an injury. Jose Contreras, who posted a career-high 5.57 ERA last season, is the No. 3 starter, and the unproven John Danks and Gavin Floyd occupy the Nos. 4 and 5 spots. The White Sox need better to compete with the Indians and Tigers.

Youngsters Lance Broadway, Charlie Haeger and Jack Egbert all could contribute, but the White Sox's pitching questions are amplified by their plan to play Nick Swisher in center field. The Sox believe that Swisher improved last season and will benefit from playing in a smaller outfield, but let's not confuse him with Torii Hunter.