2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was Cecil Cooper on the radio talking about how they packed without power and thye weren't really sure what was going to happen with their families and homes and what not then they had to leave.

They wanted to play in Atlanta or Florida but MLB wanted the games to be played in dome and I believe Tampa was at home.

After hearing this I think it was absolutly a dick move by MLB. I believe they would have forced them to play at Wrigley if the weather would have been better.

The Scubs have pwned the regular season. No way around it. Yeah, the NL is about as bad as the eastern conference was in the NBA from 1999-2004. But they can only play their schedule. However, I like some of the possible match-ups they're looking at come October. I'd LOVE for them to get the Phillies right off the bat.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
I think it was Cecil Cooper on the radio talking about how they packed without power and thye weren't really sure what was going to happen with their families and homes and what not then they had to leave.

They wanted to play in Atlanta or Florida but MLB wanted the games to be played in dome and I believe Tampa was at home.

After hearing this I think it was absolutly a dick move by MLB. I believe they would have forced them to play at Wrigley if the weather would have been better.

They had no hits for the first 15 innings of this mini-series. What MLB did was probably a "dick move", but you lose your right to complain when your offense doesn't show up. If they had lost a couple of 1 or 2 run games, that's one thing, but they are getting their asses kicked.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
They had no hits for the first 15 innings of this mini-series. What MLB did was probably a "dick move", but you lose your right to complain when your offense doesn't show up. If they had lost a couple of 1 or 2 run games, that's one thing, but they are getting their asses kicked.

i dont know about that. i keep hearing various reports that the astros showed up to miller park a mere two hours before sundays game due to mlb's incompetence. asking them to travel a long distance in an essential road game while being concerned over your family and home is inexcusable in my book. arlington or atlanta could have been done but selig wants the cubs in the world series and will do all he can to make himself more money at the expense of the astros

QUOTE (lord chas @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
i dont know about that. i keep hearing various reports that the astros showed up to miller park a mere two hours before sundays game due to mlb's incompetence. asking them to travel a long distance in an essential road game while being concerned over your family and home is inexcusable in my book. arlington or atlanta could have been done but selig wants the cubs in the world series and will do all he can to make himself more money at the expense of the astros

The bolded is ridiculous. Two games in mid September for a team with a huge lead for best record in the NL will have no affect on if they make the world series or not. And they couldn't have put it in Arlington or Tampa, the Rangers are at home today as are the Rays. The Royals are also at home today, it rained a lot in St. Louis yesterday, and so on. You also don't want to put the game outside, as you are at the mercy of the conditions. It shouldn't have been put in Milwaukee, but this isn't as easy as people think.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
The bolded is ridiculous. Two games in mid September for a team with a huge lead for best record in the NL will have no affect on if they make the world series or not. And they couldn't have put it in Arlington or Tampa, the Rangers are at home today as are the Rays. The Royals are also at home today, it rained a lot in St. Louis yesterday, and so on. You also don't want to put the game outside, as you are at the mercy of the conditions. It shouldn't have been put in Milwaukee, but this isn't as easy as people think.

Move THEM to Milwaukee!!!

Then it would be a true neutral site game for FOUR teams!!!

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
Game over Stros' got 1 hit in 2 "neutral site" games. Pitiful.

The Astros hitting struggles (well, 1 hit in 18 innings is beyond struggles, it's pathetic) were clearly caused by the intimidating 20 thousand Cubs fans who half filled Miller Park for the two games. Astros win both games if they are at a true neutral site, because if the games had been played in a near empty empty stadium, it would have caused them to hit better.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Perfect. So the scenario I'm hoping for right now is for the Mets to win the division with the Phillies taking the WC. The Phils would be a nightmare matchup for them.

The Cubs have better pitching than pretty much everyone, they dont really have any bad match ups.

Well they haven't touched Hamels in two years. Brett Myers has been absolutely filthy since his call-up from the minors (sporting a 1.80 era since the break). Jamie Moyer is quietly having a fine season. And while he hasn't been as good this year, Joe Blanton is a better than average #4. And they've got a closer who hasn't blown a save this year. So they've got some pitching. And they've also got an offense that even few AL teams can rival.

Regular season records obviously don't mean much in the playoffs. But the Phils were a horrible call on a Mark Derosa HR (ball was clearly foul) that kept them from sweeping the Cubs back in April. And they were a 5-run 8th inning away from taking 3/4 from the Cubs back in Wrigley a little while back. So they've played them as tough as anybody. The Cubs will obviously be favored against whoever they play. As they should be. But they were favored against the D-backs last year. They were favored against the Marlins in 2003. So we shall see.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
and has retired the next 8 he has faced 6 of them via the strike out and has not given up a hit.

It's just ridiculous this season how difficult he's been to hit. One of the more amazing seasons from a starter this decade, all things considered.

I understand the innings and runs look good, but Harden has shown nothing to make me think he is anywhere near 100 percent his last two starts. His control wasn't too bad last outing (6 innings, 1 walk), but he was pedestrian by his lofty standards allowing 5 hits, 2 runs, and only having 3 strikeouts, plus his velocity was not very good in game game at St. Louis. Today on 6 days rest, Harden had his velocity back (fastball was 92 to 94) and only allowed one run and one hit in 5 innings, but he wasn't himself at all otherwise. Harden had to throw 115 pitches (many of them high stress, Lou left him in way too long) to get through the 5 innings. He only threw 68 strikes out of the 115 pitches, and his walk total of 6 would have been much higher if the Brewers hadn't chased pitches (and his admittedly impressive 7 strikeout total would have been lower). He has shown the ability to have control and velocity his last two outings, but not both at the same time, and he's not the same guy if he can only have one and not the other.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
How does someone not score from 2nd base on a double?

Cuz Bush got juked and Fukudome wasn't even close to catching that ball. That was horrible.

Can Milwaukee swing at more pitches out of the zone?

Edited by Brian